Upgrading Tuners for AX7221 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Upgrading Tuners for AX7221

So I've got the AX7221 upgraded with SH-4 in bridge and Blaze in neck, however the stock tuners go out of tune every time i bend, so i need to upgrade to better. As I'm not an expert in such things could you tell me my options and recommend some specific tuners. I live in eastern Europe so i need shops/evilbay that ship them to here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 08:57 AM

Re: Upgrading Tuners for AX7221

Have the strings been changed recently? If so, are they stretched in properly? What kind of nut is it? A simple change for a graphite nut can do a lot. How are the strings wound on the tuners (sloppy with many turns, or neat with few turns)? Is it only when bending or do you have constant tuning issues?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

the strings have not been changed recently ,however this happened with brand new stretched strings too, and i play rarely and strings are in good condition. they are stretched properly.
its the stock plastic nut
most strings are wound with one turn or less
i have constant tuning issues but with bending it just goes out immediately, especially G string which is hard to tune to perfect pitch in the first place
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 12:08 PM

Hmm...odd...tuners are pretty expensive just to see if it gets better, so maybe changing the nut would be first on the list. Is the bridge/neck screws fully tightened? I'm kinda running out of questions here :S
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 01:00 PM

the problem is that you don't have enough winds over the machine head to lock the string to the post, therefore you are getting excessive amounts of slippage. it's not the tuners fault, you just need to restring you guitars better. you may want to have some graphite nut sauce or a mechanical pencil to lube up the nut slots as well. i do this on all of my non trem axes to lessen any tuning issues related to the nut.

rich
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 10:50 PM

I agree, you should have at least 2-3 winds around the post when the guitar is tuned up.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

ok i got new strings,stretched, 2 winds, its better but still not as reliable as it should be so what tuners?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 04:43 PM

Wait a little longer. Play the guitar a lot. If the problem stands after a week, then report back. The strings are probably not fully broken in.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

ok i have got the money and willing to spend it on better tuners, im confident that the tuners for 300$ made in korea guitar are not the best, and i want better... so please tell which tuners. ive decided im not gonna keep these
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 06:38 PM

In that case...Schaller, Gotoh, Kluson. There are more brands of course. I have Gotoh on my Ibanez, and they feel sturdy and reliable.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygde View Post
In that case...Schaller, Gotoh, Kluson. There are more brands of course. I have Gotoh on my Ibanez, and they feel sturdy and reliable.
but which exact model? i want them to look as close as possible to the original tuners.
and where to get them?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 06:19 AM

Which, I can't tell you. I don't know how your tuners look, or what dimensions they are. Where, well it depends on where your are located. I haven't got much experience with tuners I might add. But Gotoh, Schaller and Kluson are available from http://www.GMF.se (Sweden)

Tags
graphite nut , neck screws

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode