Uppercut RG6UCS worth the extra cost? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By psychotic memories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Uppercut RG6UCS worth the extra cost?

Hello again!

Just wanted to drag the waters and see if anyone has had a chance to mess with one of these yet. I really like the idea of the stainless steel frets, but the uppercuts seem to get such a premium over the others that I'm having a hard time justifying.

Here's the list of things upgraded from regular Prestige RG:
Neck has KTS rods -What's wrong with regular prestige necks? Extra $50

Ebony fretboard - Maybe a $50-$100 upcharge over the birdseye maple or marbled rosewood? Have no idea...

Bare Knuckle Pickups - About an extra $150 - $175 extra over regular Dimarzio's

Lo-Pro Edge - maybe more desirable than regular Edge, but my regular Edge does just fine and I doubt it cost much more. Let's say $50 extra

Stainless Steel frets- This one I'm not sure about either, but buying a new neck with a stainless upgrade is not that much. Guessing maybe $200 extra.

When I add it up, I don't see another $800 worth of stuff here. Its also only a basswood body which is kind of the deal breaker. Why not ash or mahogany? I'd almost like to subtract $100 for the basswood body and flat paint.

I only see about $500-$600 in extras over a regular Prestige RG. What am I missing? Resale value? Rarity? Are they even that rare?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 03:29 AM

Re: Uppercut RG6UCS worth the extra cost?

Here is how I look at parting with my money: If I don't like something 100%, I will focus on the part I don't like instead of enjoying what I do like.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 02:36 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Ibanez guitars - like many products - are not priced based on the sum of their parts rather what the intended audience will likely pay. This is more a specialty product competing against $2200 axes, not $1200 axes. How many Prestige RGs have hand wired pickups, ebony & SS frets? Sure it has no inlays but that requires a cleaner fretboard blank. I don't think there is anything to knock about it, maybe a bit overpriced but not terribly.

Link: Electric Guitars RG - RG6UCS Prestige | Ibanez guitars

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Sup guys, thanks for the comments.

Main thing I like is the stainless steel frets and the idea that is pretty unique. Not sure if they will hold there value the way some of the Jems and JS models have though. Just really wish it was an ash body instead of basswood. RG's are so prone to getting the body edges chipped. I think this is due to squared corners, the softer basswood bodies, and possibly just poor prep work in the paint shop.

I just went by guitar center and played a music man JP something with stainless frets and didn't really notice a difference until I picked up a crappy guitar and then it was like night and day. Much smoother.

As far as the Bare Knuckles go the Aftermaths are not my favorites, but that's just listening to youtube clips. About the only pickups I've heard in person that I really like are the new ones on the Schecter Apocalypse. Of course those are about as expensive as the Bare Knuckles. Some kind of ceramic and alnico combo, really nice balanced high gain pickup. Coil splits to a pretty decent clean tone too. I guess it will kill the whole Uppercut cool factor if I swap the pickups with something other than Bare Knuckle though.

I'm still undecided, but I'm leaning more to the nay side right now.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 11:19 PM

Keep in mind, several Music Man Petrucci models have basswood bodies. Besides, if you added BKP's to a JP the Uppercut would be a bargain in comparison!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 09:32 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankhenrylee View Post
Not sure if they will hold there value the way some of the Jems and JS models have though.
Not sure? You can bet the house they won't. History shows Signature models Ibanez are basically the only ones that hold value, with few exception.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Well hopefully, they don't sell well and quit making them. Anything Prestige seems to do pretty well anyway. I'd say similar to USA Fender or Gibson's regular models. I'm not really buying it for collectors values anyway. I found a deal on a like new used one and snagged it up. I'll have it in my hands Monday. Couldn't resist the stainless steel frets and lo-pro bridge. Great guy, cut me a really good deal as well so can't wait.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankhenrylee View Post
Well hopefully, they don't sell well and quit making them. Anything Prestige seems to do pretty well anyway. I'd say similar to USA Fender or Gibson's regular models. I'm not really buying it for collectors values anyway. I found a deal on a like new used one and snagged it up. I'll have it in my hands Monday. Couldn't resist the stainless steel frets and lo-pro bridge. Great guy, cut me a really good deal as well so can't wait.
It is always nice when solutions present themselves.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 12:43 PM

Even signatures usually depreciate a fair amount at time of purchase unless you're talking the extremely limited run ones.

Personally, I buy a guitar to play, not let appreciate. I like stainless steel frets, quite a lot, in fact, and would be drawn to it by that, but I've never really cared for ebony and have always got on better on maple boards, especially for lead work. But, that's kind of the point of all of this, I guess - to someone who likes RGs, stainless frets, and ebony, that's a really attractive guitar offering a set of specs Ibanez doesn't commonly offer, and may very well be worth it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

So first impressions are mixed but generally positive. Guitar showed up in like new condition so that was a relief.

Stainless frets equal awesomeness! Smoooooooth!

Ebony fretboard is truly black. Also awesome!

Lo-Pro bridge is you guessed it, awesome! Flutters so easy and I don't bump it as much as my Edge trem.

Overall look is awesome.

Now some things I'm not so hot about. These are minor gripes and really only stand out when you compare to what your perfect guitar might have.

The fretboard somehow doesn't feel nearly as thin as my S1220 even though specs are very similar. Kind of like my S1220 better in this regard, but it's also what I'm used to.

Getting some fret buzz on the lower strings around 3-4 fret and had to raise that side of the bridge a little more than I preferred. May need a fret level, but not sure who to use for that on my brand new to me Uppercut. Any suggestions?

The side markers are so small on the fretboard it's a bit tough to see them with all of the black everywhere. Also not having a 12th fret marker is a little tougher than I thought it would be. May see about getting some of those glow in the dark side markers and a 12th fret marker installed.

Not sure yet, but I think I like the DiMarzio Titans in my S1220 better than the Aftermaths. I know sacrilege right? Who could like a Dimarzio better than a Bare Knuckle? I just installed those about a month ago, so they are definitely not what I'm used to. Just sound better in side by side comparisons. The Aftermaths are hotter, but somehow still have a vintage sound that does not clean up very well. Harmonics are a little easier. I'm still playing with height and pole adjustments though so no final verdict yet. There's not a ton of difference in sound between the two guitars really, but the S1220 has a fatter sound that the Titans keep tight.

Only thing kind of disappointing is that it was not really too much of an upgrade over what I had. Oh well, I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

Overall pretty awesome though so can't fault that.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 04:02 AM

Congrats on the new guitar

Necks will feel a little different even though though the guitars are exactly the same. I've tried 5 different Fender Strats - the same model but different color (wait, aren't they all) - and all of them had subtle differences between each other. I've also tried a couple of Signature model Ibanez guitars (same model) and even those had subtle differences, in the necks, between the two.

You may have some high frets and that would explain the fret buzz. I always check any potential guitar with the StewMac Fret Rocker before making any decisions. You should be able to get it fix under warrant but you might have to send it back to the place you purchased from - not sure how that works.

Getting glow in the dark side markers sounds like a solution. Talking to a good luthier would give you better insight.

Before ripping your pickups out, try playing with the tone knob, different picks and strings. Maybe you can borrow an EQ pedal. Keep in mind that the same pickups may sound different in the RG than the S because of the amount of material in the body.

I don't think that you will see a big difference between guitars unless you go to the extreme - Telecaster to Les Paul to Hollow body to Superstrat. At the end of the day it comes down to "Does this inspire me to play?" regardless of cost, name on the headstock or what other people think of it. At least that is how I look at it.
taracatac likes this.

Tags
ibanez uppercut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode