US Customs vs J Customs - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

US Customs vs J Customs

Just something that's crossed my mind, but which would be of better quality, an Ibanez custom made in the US or the J Customs from Japan? What is the fundamental difference between the manner in which US Custom orders and J-Customs are made? It just seems to me judging from photos that J-Customs look more like very close attention was paid to every step than with pictures of US Custom jobs (talking of which what is the main reason that Ibanez don't take custom orders at the moment?).

Sorry if this has been asked before...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 07:45 PM

Re: US Customs vs J Customs

Which USA Customs are you referring to??

The older graphic ones? The Exotic wood series? The USRG's?(the ones made by Dave Bunker) or the LACS?

The older graphic ones were stock guitars with graphics so I'd have to say a J-Custom there.
The exotic wood series were on par with the older J-Customs but not quite near the quality of the current J-Customs.
USRG's were ok, quality wise I still about the same as the older J-Customs again but not near the current ones.
LACS I can't comment on as I don't own one nor have I tried one.

The current J-Customs are top notch quality, very hard to top especially if you get the ones with the perfectly round frets.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce View Post
Which USA Customs are you referring to??

The older graphic ones? The Exotic wood series? The USRG's?(the ones made by Dave Bunker) or the LACS?

The older graphic ones were stock guitars with graphics so I'd have to say a J-Custom there.
The exotic wood series were on par with the older J-Customs but not quite near the quality of the current J-Customs.
USRG's were ok, quality wise I still about the same as the older J-Customs again but not near the current ones.
LACS I can't comment on as I don't own one nor have I tried one.

The current J-Customs are top notch quality, very hard to top especially if you get the ones with the perfectly round frets.
I mean the current quality of the average guitar custom made in the US for an endorsee (though I'd be surprised if anyone is lucky to have tried one) vs the current J-Customs.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce View Post
+1 Get no arguement from me there.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeglectedField View Post
I mean the current quality of the average guitar custom made in the US for an endorsee (though I'd be surprised if anyone is lucky to have tried one) vs the current J-Customs.
I'd be willing to bet as nice as a JC is, I would imagine something made for an endorsee would be even better quality. I'm sure a guitar going to Steve Vai would get more attention than one going to the average schmuck.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 08:17 PM
Vendor

They're, OK. They are not current JC grade, IMO pretty far from it. Too much handwork and not enough automation would be my opinion. And I've seen too many screwups [check Balducci's custom from 2 years ago where the trem cavity is at least 1/2" longer than it's supposed to be behind the trem].
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
They're, OK. They are not current JC grade, IMO pretty far from it. Too much handwork and not enough automation would be my opinion. And I've seen too many screwups [check Balducci's custom from 2 years ago where the trem cavity is at least 1/2" longer than it's supposed to be behind the trem].
Yeah, too much work done by hand can make a guitar suck. Screw what Ed Roman says, CNC is the best way to have consistency and quality in a guitar, as well as being cheaper than handmade.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 10:15 PM

You can only make a guitar so good, I think the only thing better in customs is the wood.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 11:20 PM

"The exotic wood series were on par with the older J-Customs but not quite near the quality of the current J-Customs"

I have a couple of exotic wood ones, from 91. And 5 or so J-customs from various years. In my experience the 97-2001 years were the best for J-customs. The later modes are still very good, but became more mainstream, almost just as well executed but more production. So to sum it up - earlier J-Customs for me. But hey, something new always can come out
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 11:21 PM

Oh, forgot to tell - the exotic wood are good guitars, but in my opinion far from j-custom level in every department: sound, playability, fit, finish, construction, being it older or newer j-customs alike.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 11:23 PM
Vendor

This thread is about quality, not which models happen to float your boat
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoch View Post
I have a couple of exotic wood ones, from 91. And 5 or so J-customs from various years. In my experience the 97-2001 years were the best for J-customs. The later modes are still very good, but became more mainstream, almost just as well executed but more production.
Uhh.. I'm pretty sure Rich will agree with me when I say that the production quality of the J-Customs are generally better and more consistant now than in the earlier years.

J-Customs back in the day were more mainstream in Japan back in the earlier days as they were being offered in many places and practically every major music store had their own J-Custom line. I know Kurosawa, Ikebe, Ishibashi, Rock-Inn and Yamato all had their own special editions back in the day, whereas now only few shops still do special models.

They seem more mainstream now as they have begun to pop up outside of Japan, but within Japan the marketing push for J-Customs has decreased over the years pulling away from the mainstream market and going into more of the high end boutique market(think PRS, Suhr and Anderson).
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 01:28 AM

"This thread is about quality, not which models happen to float your boat"
Rich, was it addressed to me? I don't think I mentioned any models, did I? Sorry if I did not say something 'proper'.

"Uhh.. I'm pretty sure Rich will agree with me when I say that the production quality of the J-Customs are generally better and more consistant now than in the earlier years."
Rich by far has seen many more of those than I or I'm guessing many others did. I only stated my observations, that out of those I have and seen - I would say the earlier are more interesting/unique, and happend to play/sound better in my experience. Obviously I'm not talking about the lower-level 16XX etc models. So this is just my opinion. I've yet to see something better executed than say HRG2000.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 01:36 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoch View Post
I would say the earlier are more interesting/unique, and happend to play/sound better in my experience.

Yes, this shows your preference for the earlier models which has nothing to do with the subject of this thread, but play and sound better? You have right to your opinion, but I don't think anybody that really knows these guitars will support your statement.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 04:07 AM

I have a '97 RG GEAR a '06 8470 and a '06 8320....

Although I really like my GEAR, I can say that the building quality of my two '06 is way ABOVE that of the '97 one.... period!

The fret works, overall building quality.... no pickup noise at all... But it's only a small sample I admit....

Tags
custom shop , killer guitar , mahogany body , music store , production model , steve vai , string tension , truss rod , truss rods , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode