USA Custom "Silver Snake"? - ...why did I have to get marrie - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

USA Custom "Silver Snake"? - ...why did I have to get marrie

Was in my favorite music store a few weeks ago and had the chance to pick up an "un-used", never owned '89 USA Custom for a very good price. It has the silvery/grayish snake skin pattern on front & back, and is silvery/gray on the sides, rosewood board with white shark tooth inlays, single stock Ibanez F-1 pup in the bridge position. Neck has some back bow (you would too after 13 years in the same position). Funny tho, I went to the Ibanezregister.com gallery and what they called the "silver snake" and the "gray snake" both look brown to me. Anyone seen this one before? If I wasn't in the middle of buying a used UV777BK at the time (which I got today), man I'd have snapped this thing up, and will next month if it's still there. It's funny that I've looked at it for years, but never bothered to play it, but this time I did and it almost killed me to walk out without it.

Did you ever just come so close to just saying "screw it, I'm getting it"? Man that GAS attack lasted 3 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 07:52 AM

USA Custom "Silver Snake"?

Can i ask the price ?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2002, 09:31 AM

I just saw one of these brand new in Snukst music in Chicago. *I'm from St. Louis and have heard stories about this place which were all true - more of a guitar museum than a guitar store. *Anyway, they had one of the snake tops which very gold / silver with the shark tooth inlays.

I think you can find some info on the store on the net.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2002, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Well, that didn't take long. I picked it up tonight on my way back from a 3-day business trip to Buffalo (yeah, yeah, alot of snow) *. It's a UCMDIGS - whatever the hell that means Gray Snake at the end anyway. Price...$675 w/ M100 case. This thing has barely seen the light of day. Two GAS prescriptions inside of a week (I picked up a used '97 UV777BK last week) could cost me with the Mrs. tho, but I can't help it! *I think (and I'm no expert with USA/J-Customs) that $675 for a mint USA Custom of any kind is a bargain - am I wrong? The list in 1989 was $1349. There are a few light scuffs on the top side, but otehr than that... Very clean cosmo edge (no pitting), single pup in the bridge, an IBZ USA F-1 (kinda crappy sounding). I'm gonna drop an EMG 81 in it when the smoke clears. Hey, you only live once and for me, it might not be much longer.

Honey, I think I'm good for a while.

(until I snag the Silver Pea ****
USA Custom there in the same shape!).

I'll try to post a pic or 2.

Mark * *
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Well, I'm an idiot and can't figure out how to get a pic on here - little help?

Also, UCMD1GS = Usa Custom Metal Design 1 Gray Snake

serial # 891653

Gave it a Harris last night - plays perfect. *Told the wife this AM while she was half asleep, and while not thrilled, she didn't slap me.

Yeah, I wear the pant suit in my house.

If anyone cares to chime in on this guitar, or knows more about it, feel free. I don't see any single pup customs out there. *It also has the USA Custom logo to the right of the Ibanez logo on the headstock, rather than above it like most customs.

Whatever - seems to be a nice find.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 06:37 PM

Hi Mark,
Send your pictures and info to me at [email protected] i'll put them on my site www.ibanezregister.com and you can link to them from there. no worries.
best regards
:mc:
jerry
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Jerry - you have it on there already bro.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 03:01 AM

Dohh!!

:mc:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2002, 04:52 PM

I believe the metal designs were similar to that of the JEM FP's. They took actual metallic material, and clearcoated over it.

During the first couple years of the USAC's, the part that says "USA Custom" was off to the side (where todays guitars say JS, JEM, or RG). I believe they changed that in 91.

Tags
bridge position , music store , rosewood board , shark tooth inlays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode