USA Custom Master Thread - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 259 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Re: USA Custom Master Thread

Model - UCEW1FM
Species - Flame Maple
Series - UCEW
Finishes - Amber (AM), Natural (NT), Transparent Purple (TP), Transparent Red (TR)
Year - 1991*

Standard Configuration - H-S-H (DiMarzio PAF Pro/VS-1/PAF Pro), rosewood fretboard w/ offset dots, standard headstock, cosmo hardware

* I am listing each year of these separately because there were significant changes year-to-year of the series itself.

Placeholder - AM finish

Placeholder - NT finish.

Placeholder - TP finish.

Placeholder - TR finish.

Model - UCEW1BE
Species - Birdseye Maple
Series - UCEW
Finishes - Amber (AM), Natural (NT), Transparent Purple (TP), Transparent Red (TR)
Year - 1991

Standard Configuration - H-S-H (DiMarzio PAF Pro/VS-1/PAF Pro), rosewood fretboard w/ offset dots, standard headstock, cosmo hardware*

* I am listing each year of these separately because there were significant changes year-to-year of the series itself.

Placeholder - AM finish

Placeholder - NT finish.

Placeholder - TP finish.

Placeholder - TR finish.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-22-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 259 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Model - UCEW1LC
Species - Lacewood
Series - UCEW
Year - 1991*

Standard Configuration - H-S-H (DiMarzio PAF Pro/VS-1/PAF Pro), rosewood fretboard w/ offset dots, standard headstock, black hardware

Placeholder - AM finish

NT finish:

Interesting guitar here. The serial is clearly a '92, but lacewood does not appear in the '92 catalog or on the '92 price lists. The guitar is mostly a '92 in spec except for the black headstock, which is consistent with a '91.

Placeholder - TP finish.

Placeholder - TR finish.

Model - UCEW1QM
Species - Quilted Maple
Series - UCEW
Year - 1991*

Standard Configuration - H-S-H (DiMarzio PAF Pro/VS-1/PAF Pro), rosewood fretboard w/ rectangular block inlays, standard headstock, cosmo hardware

Placeholder - AM finish

Placeholder - NT finish.

Placeholder - TP finish.

Placeholder - TR finish.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 11-21-2015 at 01:06 PM.
post #18 of 259 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

1992 was a year of decline for Ibanez. Metal had been replaced by grunge and shred guitars were losing popularity quickly. Thankfully, Ibanez still released a ton of great guitars in 1992 and continued to improve on their offerings.

The USA Custom line was scaled back for 1992, with Pamelina no longer working with Ibanez. I can only speculate that this was because the Dan Lawrence models were significantly more popular the prior year. It's also popular that with the decline of metal, Lawrence was suddenly a lot more available to paint guitars for Ibanez.

The UCGR line went from 14 to 8 guitars, all painted by Dan Lawrence. Four of the graphics were carrovers and four were new. In general the four new graphics seem to be rare to the point of unobtainability.

The UCMD line was eliminated and the UCEW line went down to two models, with the birdseye maple and lacewood models being eliminated. But the remaining models did switch to direct-mount pickups, a significant aesthetic improvement on a figured wood-topped guitar. Additionally, UCEW guitars became 100% USA-made with Hosono also building the necks for 1992. The UCEW guitars in general seem to have been less popular, possibly due to price, but the 1992 models are definitely the most rare.

1992 was the last year for the original USA Custom line. Judging by how rare most of the '92 guitars seem to be, they were probably extremely slow sellers. The line would resurface in 1994, but with a totally different model. All '89-92 USA Custom guitars were built in Japan and shipped in pieces to the US. The "custom" part came from the ability to order different configurations and finishes, so it was really a semi-custom. The line that would come back in 1994 would be fully US-made by a subcontractor.

Finish - Ice World
Artist - Dan Lawrence
Model - 92UCGR1
Series - UCGR
Years - 1991-92

Standard Configuration - S-H (IBZUSA C2/DiMarzio Double Whammy (both white)), rosewood fretboard w/ sharktooth inlays, standard headstock, cosmo hardware

One of four carryover graphics from 1991. Model name changed to 92UCGR1 from UCGR10 (no configuration changes). See comments and picture above.

Finish - No Bones About It
Artist - Dan Lawrence
Model - 92UCGR2
Series - UCGR
Years - 1991-92

Standard Configuration - H-S-H (DiMarzio PAF Pro/IBZUSA C3/DiMarzio Double Whammy), rosewood fretboard w/ sharktooth inlays, reverse headstock, cosmo hardware

Second of four carryover graphics from 1991. Model name changed to 92UCGR2 from UCGR11 (no configuration changes). See comments and picture above.

Finish - Grim Reaper
Artist - Dan Lawrence
Model - 92UCGR3
Series - UCGR
Years - 1991-92

Standard Configuration - H-H (IBZUSA F4/F2), rosewood fretboard w/ sharktooth inlays, reverse headstock, cosmo hardware

Third of four carryover graphics from 1991. Model name changed to 92UCGR3 from UCGR13 (no configuration changes). Finish name shortened to "Grim Reaper" from "The Grim Reaper". See comments and picture above.

Finish - Angels Depart
Artist - Dan Lawrence
Model - 92UCGR4
Series - UCGR
Years - 1991-92

Standard Configuration - H-S-H (DiMarzio PAF Pro/IBZUSA C3/DiMarzio FRED (all white)), rosewood fretboard w/ center dots, standard headstock, cosmo hardware

Fourth of four carryover graphics from 1991. Model name changed to 92UCGR4 from UCGR14 (no configuration changes). Finish name shortened to "Angels Depart" from "The Angels Depart". See comments and pictures above.

Finish - Unzipped
Artist - Dan Lawrence
Model - 92UCGR5
Series - UCGR
Years - 1992

Standard Configuration - S-H (DiMarzio Fast Track/Tone Zone (both green)), maple fretboard w/ center dots, standard headstock, black hardware

Extremely rare finish. This was the only image I could find of this and no references to people owning them. Standard configuration here, although the knobs have been changed from black to white.

Finish - Sea Monster
Artist - Dan Lawrence
Model - 92UCGR6
Series - UCGR
Years - 1992

Standard Configuration - H-S-H (DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell/IBZUSA C3/DiMarzio FRED), rosewood fretboard w/ sharktooth inlays, standard headstock, cosmo hardware

I am aware of at least two of these, including the guitar pictured here. One is owned by TAorama on this site, who is the person I bought two of my guitars from.

Finish - Alien's Revenge
Artist - Dan Lawrence
Model - 92UCGR7
Series - UCGR
Years - 1992

Standard Configuration - H-S-H (DiMarzio PAF Pro/IBZUSA C3/DiMarzio Double Whammy (all white)), rosewood fretboard w/ sharktooth inlays, reverse headstock, black hardware

I believe that those are both the same guitar, as both guitars have the exact same straplocks. I found those on sites in Europe, one of them in a shot right next to the Unzipped. Another extremely rare one and again, standard configuration pictured.

Finish - Cosmic Swirl II
Artist - Dan Lawrence
Model - 92UCGR8
Series - UCGR
Years - 1992

Standard Configuration - H-H (DiMarzio PAF Humbucker from Hell/Tone Zone (both orange?)), maple fretboard w/ center dots, standard headstock, black hardware

I was only able to find one person with this guitar and all the pictures were small. Hoping to find some better pics of this one. Hard to tell if the pickups are orange or yellow? Orange is not a color currently offered by DiMarzio. Standard configuration guitar here.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 11-26-2015 at 09:55 AM.
post #19 of 259 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Model - UCEWFM
Species - Flame Maple
Series - UCEW
Finishes - Natural (NT), Transparent Blue (TB), Transparent Ebony (TE), Transparent Purple (TP)
Year - 1992*

Standard Configuration - H-S-H (DiMarzio PAF Pro/IBZUSA C3/DiMarzio PAF Pro), rosewood fretboard w/ abalone center dots, standard headstock, cosmo hardware

NT finish:

TB finish:

Likely a late '92 order here that spilled over into 1993 production, as these were not offered in '93. Great shots of the thick maple top and the headstock, which is birdseye maple rather than a body-matching veneer. Also great deal of the different scarf joint location on these necks.

Placeholder - TE finish.

Placeholder - TP finish.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 11-21-2015 at 01:12 PM.
post #20 of 259 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Model - UCEWQM
Species - Quilted Maple
Series - UCEW
Finishes - Natural (NT), Transparent Blue (TB), Transparent Ebony (TE), Transparent Purple (TP)
Year - 1992*

Standard Configuration - H-S-H (DiMarzio PAF Pro/IBZUSA C3/DiMarzio PAF Pro), rosewood fretboard w/ abalone center dots, standard headstock, cosmo hardware

NT finish:

The unusual scarf joint is really apparent on this neck.

TB finish:

Placeholder - TE finish.

TP finish:

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 11-21-2015 at 01:25 PM.
post #21 of 259 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Second placeholder for USRG Series info/pictures.
post #22 of 259 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 04:51 PM

Reviews: 2

Awesome Jesse!! I can't imagine how long it took you to put this all together............

Thank you for all of it!!!!!
post #23 of 259 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 05:06 PM

Man, that is some collection of information here. Great work dude! I didn't think I wanted a graphic guitar but the Ice World & the Sea Monster graphics are giving me instant GAS! This is a great source of knowledge. Thank you!
post #24 of 259 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Awesome Jesse!! I can't imagine how long it took you to put this all together............
A long time, Ryc...a long time. I collected all the images over a couple weekends, then I wrote the whole thing today as one long post and then posted it in pieces. I think it took me 4-5 hours just to write all that!
post #25 of 259 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 07:49 PM

Amazing contribution to the site. Huge thank you from every member!
post #26 of 259 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 07:55 PM

Reviews: 1

Great job. I'm sure there will be additions to this thread. The Cosmic Swirl was mine that I sold to get my 1st JEM. It was not the catalog guitar though. The colors and placement of the moons is different. Mine was a mint example with no fading at all. I don't know about other unmolested USACs but it was really cool to see the totally custom build. All the electronics were Dimarzio parts too, including the switch and pots. These really were hand built guitars like the J-Custom line.
I'm sure everyone here will appreciate the time you put in.
post #27 of 259 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 08:30 PM

Very cool of you to put this all together Jesse... I didn't really know anything about the USA Customs until this thread. There are some really cool looking guitars here... Thanks man
post #28 of 259 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I've been totally obsessed with USA Customs since I was a kid. I actually had that big poster from 1990 hanging over my bed for a long time. Guitar Center near me had a bunch and I convinced them to give me one. Due to some mania, I either threw it out myself or allowed my mom to throw it out after I went off to college.

This project started just as me searching for pictures of all the guitars. I've realized over the years that if you see a good picture of something, you should save it to your own computer. Pictures have a tendency to be removed by the person who originally posted them! That evolved into creating a whole thread about it.
post #29 of 259 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead52 View Post
Great job. I'm sure there will be additions to this thread. The Cosmic Swirl was mine that I sold to get my 1st JEM. It was not the catalog guitar though. The colors and placement of the moons is different. Mine was a mint example with no fading at all. I don't know about other unmolested USACs but it was really cool to see the totally custom build. All the electronics were Dimarzio parts too, including the switch and pots. These really were hand built guitars like the J-Custom line.
I'm sure everyone here will appreciate the time you put in.
Yeah I wondered about that. Do you happen to have any bigger pictures of it?

About the DiMarzio electronics, here's some more info about that. I'll probably edit the first post and add this info. DiMarzio electronics were standard on these. The bodies were shipped to H&S as single humbucker with just volume and tone (no switch). That's why the neck pockets are stamped 560-1H. H&S would then route out the other pickup cavities depending on the order, add the switch and add in the toggle switch on certain configurations. They would also write a build/order number in pen in the neck pocket.

I'm not sure if DiMarzio electronics were used because they were more readily available (MIJ electronics would have been sourced overseas) or because H&S felt that they were higher quality?
post #30 of 259 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 12:44 AM

Reviews: 25

I haven't posted in months.... but im coming out of hiding for this thread.. 2 of my images got used all good !!

Trick or Treat and the last Street wise image :P

Trick is currently for sale... but after seeing it in this thread, I may remove it from 3bay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode