Ibanez JEM Forum banner

USA Custom Master Thread

129K views 276 replies 66 participants last post by  kanepuntz 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I don't believe this has been done before, so I wanted to collect info and images about various USA Custom guitars and post it all here. My intention is have all the master info at the top, which I'll maintain, then have other people contribute more images and info as the thread goes on. To collect the images, I had to get them from various sources, so if I'm using an image of one of your guitars...well I'm sorry about that but you shouldn't have made them public if you didn't want people using them ;) Also, you should be flattered because it means that I felt it was the best image out there!

To be clear, this is intended to cover all USA Custom guitars, so UCGR, UCMD, UCEW, USRG. Those acronyms mean:

UCGR - USA Custom Graphic Design series, what is most commonly thought of when someone mentions these guitars.

UCMD - USA Custom MedalDesign series, metallic fabric finish from the same timeframe.

UCEW - USA Custom Exotic Wood series, figured wood top guitars with trans finishes.

USRG - later USA Custom series similar to UCEW. Made entirely in the US under contract by Bunker Guitars.

The basic concept of the USA Custom Series was a semi-custom shop. There were a variety of finish, pickup, neck and fretboard options, allowing you to order guitars in a virtually unlimited number of combinations. Bodies and necks were made in Japan at Fujijen and shipped to the US to H&S in Bensalem, PA (with the exception of the UCEW line, more info later). Read here about the history of H&S and the custom guitar shop at Ibanez.

http://www.jemsite.com/other-topics-a-fun-stuff/6-other-topics-a-fun-stuff/679-usa-custom-shop.html

All bodies were shipped as single humbucker and then routed to order. For this reason, the neck pocket on most guitars will be marked 560-1H. The neck pocket will usually always have an order/build number written in pen, 677U in the following example. The same order number appeared on the warranty card for the guitar.

Starting in 1991, Ibanez added model numbers to all the guitars that called out a standard spec for a particular model. In these cases, there was no order number shown.

For electronics, earlier guitars will have electronics consistent with a 500 Series RG (typical Ibanez pots, YM-50 or YM-30 switch) while later guitars will have DiMarzio pots and switches.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)

The USA Custom series debuted in 1989 with 13 guitars: 8 UCGR's and 5 UCMD's. Here is a scan of an ad for the '89 USA Custom guitars.

All of the graphics were done by Rick Klemann. He would typically sign the guitars RIK ART. The Metaldesign guitars on the ad are somewhat strange, so I'm not sure that they were the final designs? More below.

The 1989 guitars in general seem to be somewhat less common than the 1990 and 1991 guitars. This is possibly due to some combination of release date and lack of awareness.

Below is a scan of an original order sheet for the 1989 guitars. Thanks to Rich Harris from Ibanez Rules for this one.

Finish - Digital Madness
Artist - Rick Klemann
Series - UCGR
Years - 1989

Excellent shots of this one, especially the RIK ART signature in the trem cavity. Thanks to Ken Haas (khaas) for these pictures.

#3 · (Edited)
Finish - Last Cigarette
Artist - Rick Klemann
Series - UCGR
Years - 1989

Good shot of this one. This graphic wrapped onto the sides of the guitar, which was common on the Rick Klemann guitars.

Finish - Dark Horse
Artist - Rick Klemann
Series - UCGR
Years - 1989

This does not appear to have been a popular finish.

#4 · (Edited)
Finish - The Necromancer's Castle
Artist - Rick Klemann
Series - UCGR
Years - 1989-90

By far the most popular Rick Klemann design and possibly the most popular of all UCGR guitars. The second picture is actually a '90 guitar, which you can tell by the volume knob location. The thing I found most interesting with this guitar is the variations in the finishes. Look at the variations in the color of the clouds (particularly the '90 with orange clouds) but also look at all the different "castles" on top of the cliff. Fourth guitar belongs to tony777 from here.

#5 · (Edited)
Finish - Road Song
Artist - Rick Klemann
Series - UCGR
Years - 1989

These seem to be somewhat popular. Another interesting finish where there are significant differences in color and detail from guitar to guitar.

Finish - Music of the Sphere
Artist - Rick Klemann
Series - UCGR
Years - 1989

This seems to be one of the more popular of the 1989-only graphics and is evocative of the later Dan Lawrence graphics.

Finish - Grave Situation
Artist - Rick Klemann
Series - UCGR
Years - 1989

Although I wasn't able to find any owner posts for this finish, I found two for sale during 2014.

#51 ·

Finish - Grave Situation
Artist - Rick Klemann
Series - UCGR
Years - 1989

This does not appear to have been a popular graphic and I was unable to find good pictures of it. I'm hoping to get a better picture from the owner of the first guitar.

Hello, sorry if this bends any rules but this has been floating on the 'list for a few weeks and since this thread has been popular people here might want this. Looks like the Grave Situation as Takin' mentions above. H/S/S config. Please feel free to remove this post if you need to mods!

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/msd/4342210087.html

#6 · (Edited)
Finish - Get It Away
Artist - Rick Klemann
Series - UCGR
Years - 1989-90

In my research I uncovered a post from Rick Klemann on some forum where he talked about working on the USA Custom line. He said that this was the only finish that was not an original design. It was adapted from a comic book.

Finish - Graysnake
Series - UCMD
Years - 1989-91

This appears to be the most popular of all UCMD finishes, possibly due to being available for three years. One funny thing about this finish is that Ibanez couldn't decide on the spelling of the finish. It is listed as "Graysnake" in 1989, "Greysnake" in 1990 and "Gray Snake" in 1991.

Finish - Silver Rain
Series - UCMD
Years - 1989

I couldn't find a great picture of this finish. In the slightly bigger one, the clearcoat has yellowed significantly.

#7 · (Edited)
Finish - Lizard
Series - UCMD
Years - 1989-90

I believe that this is the only way this finish was ever offered, never with a blue burst like the ad shows. This guitar is an '89, which lends credence to that.

Finish - Reptilian
Series - UCMD
Years - 1989

Based on the advertisement, Reptilian appears to be the same fabric as Graysnake but with a black burst.

Finish - Metal Leopard
Series - UCMD
Years - 1989

Great pictures of this one, especially the closeup of the fabric. This one belongs to B.B.A from Sweden.

Finish - Silversnake
Series - UCMD
Years - 1989-90

This finish also appears to be one of the more popular UCMD finishes.

#8 · (Edited)

1990 seems to be the biggest year for the USA Custom series. This would have been at the height of Ibanez's popularity. The 1990 lineup was significantly expanded from the original offerings. The UCGR series grew from 8 to 12 finishes. Rick Klemann was joined by Pamelina and each contributed six designs. Two of Klemann's graphics were carryovers and four were new.

The UCMD series grew from six to seven finishes, with four carryovers and two new finishes.

Additionally, Ibanez added the USA Custom Exotic Wood line. The UCEW line featured a mahogany body, unlike the basswood of the UCGR and UCMD guitar and a thick flame or quilt maple top. UCEW guitars used Japanese necks made at Fujigen but the special bodies were made in the US by Tak Hosono of Hosono Guitar Works. Tak is the founder of ESP Guitars.

This is a shot of a full-size poster that Ibanez released to advertise the 1990 USA Custom line.

Finish - Screaming Eagle
Artist - Pamelina
Series - UCGR
Years - 1990

This does not seem to be one of the more popular graphics for some reason. Thanks to Ryc (RGTfanatic) for this one!

Finish - Dragon Tatoo
Artist - Pamelina
Series - UCGR
Years - 1990

Very cool finish up close. This guitar was listed on eBay in July 2014.

Finish - Surprise
Artist - Pamelina
Series - UCGR
Years - 1990-91

One of my old guitars that's since been sold. This was a very popular graphic.

#9 · (Edited)
Finish - The Winged Being
Artist - Pamelina
Series - UCGR
Years - 1990-91

Pamelina states that this was a popular finish and it was offered for two years. Still, I had a difficult time finding pictures of it. The guitar pictured is a '91.

Finish - Get It Away
Artist - Rick Klemann
Series - UCGR
Years - 1989-90

One of two carryover graphics from 1989. See comments and picture above.

Finish - Street Wise
Artist - Rick Klemann
Series - UCGR
Years - 1990

This seems to have been an extremely popular graphic. Like The Necromancer's Castle, there are a lot of subtle variations in this one. The backgrounds are different, one guitar has a light post and the others don't, one is missing the purple light on the cop car, etc. Most notable is that some have the graphic wrapped onto the sides while other don't. I'm assuming that as the line became more popular, Klemann was under more pressure to produce these and he stopped painting the sides to save time. Thanks to tony777 for the first picture and IbanezFreak777 from this site for the third picture.

Finish - Strung Out
Artist - Pamelina
Series - UCGR
Years - 1990

Another from my collection. Another pretty popular graphic. I found it interesting to see the subtle differences in color having two of them next to eachother.

#10 · (Edited)
Finish - Southbound
Artist - Rick Klemann
Series - UCGR
Years - 1990

This seems to be a rare one.

Finish - Chopper
Artist - Rick Klemann
Series - UCGR
Years - 1990

This one seems to be on the rare side, although not as rare as some. Certainly not a popular one.

Finish - The Icy Hand of Death
Artist - Rick Klemann
Series - UCGR
Years - 1990

Thanks to Daniel in Sweden for the excellent shots of his Icy Hand!

Finish - The Necromancer's Castle
Artist - Rick Klemann
Series - UCGR
Years - 1989-90

One of two carryover graphics from 1989. See comments and pictures above.

Finish - Let Me Out of Here
Artist - Pamelina
Series - UCGR
Years - 1990

These do not appear to have been very popular, but I've seen a few. Thanks to Jack Secret for the pic.

#11 · (Edited)
Finish - The Serpent
Series - UCMD
Years - 1990-91

This seems to be one of the more popular UCMD finishes. Thanks for metalgod72 for the first two pictures. The body is really interesting on that one. It has the "close" volume know like an '89 and it also have a tilt-joint neck, unlike the Jem-style neck joint that the guitars usually had. I had to include the fourth picture because I've never seen that pickup combination before.

Finish - Jungle Cat
Series - UCMD
Years - 1990

I was completely unable to find a definitive picture of this. Based on the poster, I believe that it is just a carryover/renaming of the Metal Leopard from 1989. See above for that finish. Might be this finish?

Finish - Silversnake
Series - UCMD
Years - 1989-90

Second of four carryover finishes in the UCMD line. See comments and picture above.

Finish - Greysnake
Series - UCMD
Years - 1989-91

Third of four carryover finishes in the UCMD line. Note the change in spelling from "Graysnake" to "Greysnake". See comments and picture above.

Finish - Lizard
Series - UCMD
Years - 1989-90

Fourth of four carryover finishes in the UCMD line. See comments and picture above.

Finish - Golden Feline
Series - UCMD
Years - 1990

Seems to be another extremely rare finish.

Finish - Silver Peaco*k
Series - UCMD
Years - 1990-91

Although these were available for two years, I couldn't find a great deal of references to them, so I don't believe that they were extremely popular.

#12 · (Edited)
Series - UCEW
Finishes - Amber (AM), Transparent Purple (TP), Transparent Blue (TB), Transparent Red (TR)
Species - Flamed Maple
Year - 1990*

* I am listing each year of these separately because there were significant changes year-to-year of the series itself.

Placeholder - Amber (AM) finish.

Transparent Purple (TP) finish.

Placeholder - Transparent Blue (TB) finish.

Placeholder - Transparent Red (TR) finish.

#13 · (Edited)

1991 was a popular year for the USA Custom line, although seemingly less popular than 1990. Metal was waning in popularity but wouldn't be completely devastated until September 24th, the day that Nirvana - Nevermind would be released.

But Ibanez had no way of knowing this and they released possibly their best top to bottom guitar lineup ever. The UCGR line was expanded from 12 to 14 finishes. Rick Klemann was either dropped by Ibanez or left and he was replaced by Dan Lawrence, nothing short of a legend in custom painting guitars. Take a look at his site and you'll see all sorts of big name artist guitars from the time.

http://www.drlgrafx.com/

Lawrence did five of the graphics with Pamelina handling the other nine. Two of Pamelina's designs were carryovers with the other seven being new. In general, the Lawrence graphics seem to have been more popular at the time.

The UCMD line was condensed from six to three models while the UCEW line grew from one to four models. Overall, 1991 had the largest selection of USA Custom models.

Three significant changes were made for 1991. The first was the switch to the All Access Neck Joint (AANJ) on the UCGR guitars. This was a rolling change, so it is possible to find UCGR's with square heels. UCMD's retained the square heel for 1991. The second change was a switch from the Edge to the Lo-Pro Edge bridge. This was another rolling change, as the catalog lists all guitars as being standard with the Edge. The other change that was made for 1991 was the the addition of standard model numbers to each finish. The model number called out a specific configuration, making it easier for dealers to order guitars. This may explain why many guitars I found pictures of have the same configuration as the catalog. I will list the standard configuration with each guitar.

Finish - Surprise
Artist - Pamelina
Model - UCGR1
Series - UCGR
Years - 1990-91

Standard Configuration - S-S-H (IBZUSA C2/C2/F2), rosewood board w/ sharktooth inlays, standard headstock, cosmo hardware

One of two carryover finishes from 1990. Model name added for 1991. See description and picture above.

Finish - The Winged Being
Artist - Pamelina
Model - UCGR2
Series - UCGR
Years - 1990-91

Standard Configuration: H-H (2X DiMarzio PAF Pro), rosewood board w/ sharktooth inlays, standard headstock, black hardware

The second carryover finish from 1990. Model name added for 1991. See description and picture above.

Finish - Guitar Ecstacy
Artist - Pamelina
Model - UCGR3
Series - UCGR
Years - 1991

Standard Configuration: S-S-H (IBZUSA C2 (green)/C2 (yellow)/F2 (pink)), maple fretboard w/ center dots, standard headstock, black hardware

This is definitely a rare finish, although most Pamelina stuff from 1991 is. It also doesn't seem to show well in the catalog image. The guitar above appears to have been a standard configuration before being modified.

Finish - Leather & Metal
Artist - Pamelina
Model - UCGR4
Series - UCGR
Years - 1991

Standard Configuration: H-S-H (IBZUSA F4/C3/F2), rosewood fretboard w/ sharktooth inlays, standard headstock, cosmo hardware

This is my personal guitar. It is a standard configuration guitar with no additional markings in the neck pocket other than the H&S stamp. These are uncommon as well, but seem to have been the most popular of Pamelina's new graphics for 1991.

Finish - The Nails' Tails
Artist - Pamelina
Model - UCGR5
Series - UCGR
Years - 1991

Standard Configuration: H-S-H (DiMarzio PAF Pro/IBZUSA C3/DiMarzio Super Distortion), rosewood fretboard w/ sharktooth inlays, reverse headstock, black hardware

A very odd graphic, these appear to be very rare.

Finish - Chop Shop
Artist - Pamelina
Model - UCGR6
Series - UCGR
Years - 1991

Standard Configuration: H-S-H (IBZUSA F4/C3/F2), rosewood board w/ sharktooth inlays, standard headstock, cosmo hardware

These seem to be about as common as Leather & Metal, so not very common at all. The guitar pictured is a standard configuration.

Finish - The Metal Web
Artist - Pamelina
Model - UCGR7
Series - UCGR
Years - 1991

Standard Configuration: H-H (IBZUSA F4/F3), rosewood fretboard w/ sharktooth inlays, reverse headstock, black hardware

Another extremely rare one. Kind of an odd graphic, but more interesting up close. A standard configuration guitar here.

#14 · (Edited)
Finish - Unraveled Consciousness
Artist - Pamelina
Model - UCGR8
Series - UCGR
Years - 1991

Standard Configuration - H-S-H (IBZUSA F4/C3/F2, maple fretboard w/ center dots, standard headstock, black hardware

Appears that there may have been more than one version of this graphic.

Finish - Trick of Treat
Artist - Pamelina
Model - UCGR9
Series - UCGR
Years - 1991

Standard Configuration - H-H (2X DiMarzio PAF Pro), rosewood fretboard w/ sharktooth inlays, standard headstock, cosmo hardware

Another rare one. This one is owned by IbanezFreak777. Quite possibly the catalog guitar based on the configuration and the '90 signature (guitar would have to have been ready for a 1991 catalog shoot).

Finish - Ice World
Artist - Dan Lawrence
Model - UCGR10
Series - UCGR
Years - 1991-92

Standard Configuration - S-H (IBZUSA C2/DiMarzio Double Whammy (both white)), rosewood fretboard w/ sharktooth inlays, standard headstock, cosmo hardware

Seems to be one of the most popular Dan Lawrence graphics, possibly because it was available for two years. Guitar above is a standard configuration.

Finish - No Bones About It
Artist - Dan Lawrence
Model - UCGR11
Series - UCGR
Years - 1991-92

Standard Configuration - H-S-H (DiMarzio PAF Pro/IBZUSA C3/DiMarzio Double Whammy), rosewood fretboard w/ sharktooth inlays, reverse headstock, cosmo hardware

Piles of skulls seemed to be a popular idea at the time, as Jackson offered something very similar in their competing line.

#15 · (Edited)
Finish - Cosmic Swirl
Artist - Dan Lawrence
Model - UCGR12
Series - UCGR
Years - 1991

Standard Configuration - S-S-H (IBZUSA C2/C2/F2 (all green)), maple fretboard w/ center dots, standard headstock, black hardware[/IMG]

Cosmic Swirls seem to be about the priciest of all of the USA Custom graphics. Standard configuration guitar here, previously owned by metalhead52.

Finish - The Grim Reaper
Artist - Dan Lawrence
Model - UCGR13
Series - UCGR
Years - 1991-92

Standard Configuration - H-H (IBZUSA F4/F2), rosewood fretboard w/ sharktooth inlays, reverse headstock, cosmo hardware

This was offered for two years but I had trouble finding a good picture. Standard configuration guitar here.

Finish - The Angels Depart
Artist - Dan Lawrence
Model - UCGR14
Series - UCGR
Years - 1991-92

Standard Configuration - H-S-H (DiMarzio PAF Pro/IBZUSA C3/DiMarzio FRED (all white)), rosewood fretboard w/ center dots, standard headstock, cosmo hardware

This graphic seems to have been pretty popular. Interesting that both guitars above have Ultra necks with their corresponding inlays.

Finish - Gray Snake
Model - UCMD1GS
Series - UCMD
Years - 1989-91

Standard Configuration - S-S-H (DiMazrio VS-1/VS-1/Super Distortion), rosewood fretboard w/ sharktooth inlays, standard headstock, cosmo hardware

The third and final year of this model. In 1991 the model name was added and the finish name was changed to "Gray Snake" from "Greysnake". See description and picture above.

Finish - Silver Peaco*k
Model - UCMD1SK
Series - UCMD
Years - 1990-91

Standard Configuration - S-S-H (DiMazrio VS-1/VS-1/Super Distortion), rosewood fretboard w/ sharktooth inlays, reverse headstock, cosmo hardware

Carryover model. Model name added for 1991. See description and picture above.

Finish - Serpent
Model - UCMD1ST
Series - UCMD
Years - 1990-91

Standard Configuration - S-S-H (DiMazrio VS-1/VS-1/Super Distortion), maple fretboard w/ center dots, standard headstock, cosmo hardware

Carryover model. Model name added for 1991 and finish name shortened to "Serpent" from "The Serpent". See description and pictures above.

#44 ·
Amazing thread - great work here man!!!

This one is by far my fave - I've never seen this finish before - looks fantastic - beautiful guitars!!!

Finish - The Angels Depart
Artist - Dan Lawrence
Model - UCGR14
Series - UCGR
Years - 1991-92

Standard Configuration - H-S-H (DiMarzio PAF Pro/IBZUSA C3/DiMarzio FRED (all white)), rosewood fretboard w/ center dots, standard headstock, cosmo hardware

This graphic seems to have been pretty popular. Interesting that both guitars above have Ultra necks with their corresponding inlays.

#16 · (Edited)
Model - UCEW1FM
Species - Flame Maple
Series - UCEW
Finishes - Amber (AM), Natural (NT), Transparent Purple (TP), Transparent Red (TR)
Year - 1991*

Standard Configuration - H-S-H (DiMarzio PAF Pro/VS-1/PAF Pro), rosewood fretboard w/ offset dots, standard headstock, cosmo hardware

* I am listing each year of these separately because there were significant changes year-to-year of the series itself.

Placeholder - AM finish

Placeholder - NT finish.

Placeholder - TP finish.

Placeholder - TR finish.

Model - UCEW1BE
Species - Birdseye Maple
Series - UCEW
Finishes - Amber (AM), Natural (NT), Transparent Purple (TP), Transparent Red (TR)
Year - 1991

Standard Configuration - H-S-H (DiMarzio PAF Pro/VS-1/PAF Pro), rosewood fretboard w/ offset dots, standard headstock, cosmo hardware*

Placeholder - AM finish

Placeholder - NT finish.

Placeholder - TP finish.

Placeholder - TR finish.

#17 · (Edited)
Model - UCEW1LC
Species - Lacewood
Series - UCEW
Year - 1991*

Standard Configuration - H-S-H (DiMarzio PAF Pro/VS-1/PAF Pro), rosewood fretboard w/ offset dots, standard headstock, black hardware

Placeholder - AM finish

NT finish:

Interesting guitar here. The serial is clearly a '92, but lacewood does not appear in the '92 catalog or on the '92 price lists. The guitar is mostly a '92 in spec except for the black headstock, which is consistent with a '91.

Placeholder - TP finish.

Placeholder - TR finish.

Model - UCEW1QM
Species - Quilted Maple
Series - UCEW
Year - 1991*

Standard Configuration - H-S-H (DiMarzio PAF Pro/VS-1/PAF Pro), rosewood fretboard w/ rectangular block inlays, standard headstock, cosmo hardware

Placeholder - AM finish

Placeholder - NT finish.

Placeholder - TP finish.

Placeholder - TR finish.

#18 · (Edited)

1992 was a year of decline for Ibanez. Metal had been replaced by grunge and shred guitars were losing popularity quickly. Thankfully, Ibanez still released a ton of great guitars in 1992 and continued to improve on their offerings.

The USA Custom line was scaled back for 1992, with Pamelina no longer working with Ibanez. I can only speculate that this was because the Dan Lawrence models were significantly more popular the prior year. It's also popular that with the decline of metal, Lawrence was suddenly a lot more available to paint guitars for Ibanez.

The UCGR line went from 14 to 8 guitars, all painted by Dan Lawrence. Four of the graphics were carrovers and four were new. In general the four new graphics seem to be rare to the point of unobtainability.

The UCMD line was eliminated and the UCEW line went down to two models, with the birdseye maple and lacewood models being eliminated. But the remaining models did switch to direct-mount pickups, a significant aesthetic improvement on a figured wood-topped guitar. Additionally, UCEW guitars became 100% USA-made with Hosono also building the necks for 1992. The UCEW guitars in general seem to have been less popular, possibly due to price, but the 1992 models are definitely the most rare.

1992 was the last year for the original USA Custom line. Judging by how rare most of the '92 guitars seem to be, they were probably extremely slow sellers. The line would resurface in 1994, but with a totally different model. All '89-92 USA Custom guitars were built in Japan and shipped in pieces to the US. The "custom" part came from the ability to order different configurations and finishes, so it was really a semi-custom. The line that would come back in 1994 would be fully US-made by a subcontractor.

Finish - Ice World
Artist - Dan Lawrence
Model - 92UCGR1
Series - UCGR
Years - 1991-92

Standard Configuration - S-H (IBZUSA C2/DiMarzio Double Whammy (both white)), rosewood fretboard w/ sharktooth inlays, standard headstock, cosmo hardware

One of four carryover graphics from 1991. Model name changed to 92UCGR1 from UCGR10 (no configuration changes). See comments and picture above.

Finish - No Bones About It
Artist - Dan Lawrence
Model - 92UCGR2
Series - UCGR
Years - 1991-92

Standard Configuration - H-S-H (DiMarzio PAF Pro/IBZUSA C3/DiMarzio Double Whammy), rosewood fretboard w/ sharktooth inlays, reverse headstock, cosmo hardware

Second of four carryover graphics from 1991. Model name changed to 92UCGR2 from UCGR11 (no configuration changes). See comments and picture above.

Finish - Grim Reaper
Artist - Dan Lawrence
Model - 92UCGR3
Series - UCGR
Years - 1991-92

Standard Configuration - H-H (IBZUSA F4/F2), rosewood fretboard w/ sharktooth inlays, reverse headstock, cosmo hardware

Third of four carryover graphics from 1991. Model name changed to 92UCGR3 from UCGR13 (no configuration changes). Finish name shortened to "Grim Reaper" from "The Grim Reaper". See comments and picture above.

Finish - Angels Depart
Artist - Dan Lawrence
Model - 92UCGR4
Series - UCGR
Years - 1991-92

Fourth of four carryover graphics from 1991. Model name changed to 92UCGR4 from UCGR14 (no configuration changes). Finish name shortened to "Angels Depart" from "The Angels Depart". See comments and pictures above.

Finish - Unzipped
Artist - Dan Lawrence
Model - 92UCGR5
Series - UCGR
Years - 1992

Standard Configuration - S-H (DiMarzio Fast Track/Tone Zone (both green)), maple fretboard w/ center dots, standard headstock, black hardware

Extremely rare finish. This was the only image I could find of this and no references to people owning them. Standard configuration here, although the knobs have been changed from black to white.

Finish - Sea Monster
Artist - Dan Lawrence
Model - 92UCGR6
Series - UCGR
Years - 1992

Standard Configuration - H-S-H (DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell/IBZUSA C3/DiMarzio FRED), rosewood fretboard w/ sharktooth inlays, standard headstock, cosmo hardware

I am aware of at least two of these, including the guitar pictured here. One is owned by TAorama on this site, who is the person I bought two of my guitars from.

Finish - Alien's Revenge
Artist - Dan Lawrence
Model - 92UCGR7
Series - UCGR
Years - 1992

Standard Configuration - H-S-H (DiMarzio PAF Pro/IBZUSA C3/DiMarzio Double Whammy (all white)), rosewood fretboard w/ sharktooth inlays, reverse headstock, black hardware

I believe that those are both the same guitar, as both guitars have the exact same straplocks. I found those on sites in Europe, one of them in a shot right next to the Unzipped. Another extremely rare one and again, standard configuration pictured.

Finish - Cosmic Swirl II
Artist - Dan Lawrence
Model - 92UCGR8
Series - UCGR
Years - 1992

Standard Configuration - H-H (DiMarzio PAF Humbucker from Hell/Tone Zone (both orange?)), maple fretboard w/ center dots, standard headstock, black hardware

I was only able to find one person with this guitar and all the pictures were small. Hoping to find some better pics of this one. Hard to tell if the pickups are orange or yellow? Orange is not a color currently offered by DiMarzio. Standard configuration guitar here.

#19 · (Edited)
Model - UCEWFM
Species - Flame Maple
Series - UCEW
Finishes - Natural (NT), Transparent Blue (TB), Transparent Ebony (TE), Transparent Purple (TP)
Year - 1992*

Standard Configuration - H-S-H (DiMarzio PAF Pro/IBZUSA C3/DiMarzio PAF Pro), rosewood fretboard w/ abalone center dots, standard headstock, cosmo hardware

NT finish:

TB finish:

Likely a late '92 order here that spilled over into 1993 production, as these were not offered in '93. Great shots of the thick maple top and the headstock, which is birdseye maple rather than a body-matching veneer. Also great deal of the different scarf joint location on these necks.

Placeholder - TE finish.

Placeholder - TP finish.

#20 · (Edited)
Model - UCEWQM
Species - Quilted Maple
Series - UCEW
Finishes - Natural (NT), Transparent Blue (TB), Transparent Ebony (TE), Transparent Purple (TP)
Year - 1992*

Standard Configuration - H-S-H (DiMarzio PAF Pro/IBZUSA C3/DiMarzio PAF Pro), rosewood fretboard w/ abalone center dots, standard headstock, cosmo hardware

NT finish:

The unusual scarf joint is really apparent on this neck.

TB finish:

Placeholder - TE finish.

TP finish:

#26 ·
Great job. I'm sure there will be additions to this thread. The Cosmic Swirl was mine that I sold to get my 1st JEM. It was not the catalog guitar though. The colors and placement of the moons is different. Mine was a mint example with no fading at all. I don't know about other unmolested USACs but it was really cool to see the totally custom build. All the electronics were Dimarzio parts too, including the switch and pots. These really were hand built guitars like the J-Custom line.
I'm sure everyone here will appreciate the time you put in.

#29 ·
Yeah I wondered about that. Do you happen to have any bigger pictures of it?

About the DiMarzio electronics, here's some more info about that. I'll probably edit the first post and add this info. DiMarzio electronics were standard on these. The bodies were shipped to H&S as single humbucker with just volume and tone (no switch). That's why the neck pockets are stamped 560-1H. H&S would then route out the other pickup cavities depending on the order, add the switch and add in the toggle switch on certain configurations. They would also write a build/order number in pen in the neck pocket.

I'm not sure if DiMarzio electronics were used because they were more readily available (MIJ electronics would have been sourced overseas) or because H&S felt that they were higher quality?