USA Custom Vs. RG3120 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

USA Custom Vs. RG3120

Guys, I hope this is the right area for USA Customs, if not I apologize.

I was offered a lot of trades for my DR RG3120, one that's really stuck out for me is one guy offered a USA Custom necromancer.. I don't know if it's an even trade or with money.

But to the point, how do these older USA Customs compare to say my RG3120 or prestige RG's in general. The frets have some wear, and theres some clear coat chips, but still this guitar intrigues me. The finish is the one thing that I'm totally unsure about too.

Just looking for a general concensus of what people think. Also offered a 550 with a 770 (i think) neck on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 02:56 PM

Reviews: 3
Re: USA Custom Vs. RG3120

There was someone on here offering up a Necro for sale. Looked to be in decent players shape but I went with my S2540 Prestige instead. I don't think you'd be disappointed but then again I have no clue about your RG.

I've always heard great things about the US Customs and the 550 w/ 770 neck sounds intriguing too.

Why not trade and check them out? If you're unhappy, swap back.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 04:48 PM

The usa customs are super nice guitars, but i always kind of considered them similar build quality to a prestige. The necks on the usa customs are obviously quite different than those with the "Prestige" treatment.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 12:39 AM

I'd keep the RG3120. Unless it's a USA Custom Exotic wood, the graphic series models are just RG7xx's with paint jobs.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce View Post
I'd keep the RG3120. Unless it's a USA Custom Exotic wood, the graphic series models are just RG7xx's with paint jobs.
i second that.

rich
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 09:25 AM

somewhat offtopic perhaps but how do Prestiges and customs relate to those new RG550's?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 03:48 PM

I'd run the risk and get the USA custom graphics...

both are very good Ibanez guitars, of course... apart from the other small differences, I'd say you are basically trading mahogany for basswood

however, USCG are long discontinued, rare and getting rarer... if you are unsatisfied you can always sell it and get the money back, to buy maybe another RG3120, which is much easier to come by (for now)

Tags
clear coat , custom exotic wood , ibanez guitars , usa custom exotic wood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode