Used Rg1570 prestige or new RG721 premium? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Used Rg1570 prestige or new RG721 premium?

Hey guys, im stuck in a conundrum, before we start, im a lefty, i live in ireland, so together means limited options guitar wise!

Im stuck between a 2008 Rg1570 blue, which i can pick up for $500 and a brand new Rg721 rosewood top for $750 (euro conversion prices)

I love having a new guitar straight from the box, but the better quality parts has me tilting towards the 1570.

What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Re: Used Rg1570 prestige or new RG721 premium?

P.s. I can't try either as both are abroad in the uk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 08:38 AM

Reviews: 21

That's a tough call. I own both an RG1570 and an RG921. I love both but honestly I've been playing the RG921 lots more; simply by virtue of it being a fixed bridge. I'm a fan of simplicity these days. I'm not sure how the RG721 matches but but I'm guessing it's just different pickups and obviously the aesthetic differences. I was surprised how similar the RG921 was to the RG1570 outside of the different HH pickup configuration and the bridge differences. The necks feel pretty similar, right down to the volute behind the nut. The profiles aren't identical but they feel pretty close to me. Only the radius is different.
If I owned neither guitar I would probably go for the RG1570 though. It's slightly better quality wise. It would be a really tough choice though.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 04:27 PM

My girlfriend is a lefty, I know the struggle

I've owned a number of Premiums and Prestiges over the years, and the Prestiges have consistently felt better.

By better I mean not just more comfortable, but much more sturdy and solid. I'd go with the 1570, but I'd also make sure the guitar is in solid condition before I buy it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DildoTeamTaskForceC View Post
My girlfriend is a lefty, I know the struggle

I've owned a number of Premiums and Prestiges over the years, and the Prestiges have consistently felt better.

By better I mean not just more comfortable, but much more sturdy and solid. I'd go with the 1570, but I'd also make sure the guitar is in solid condition before I buy it.

Yeah by the looks of it its in great condition, obviously wont see proplerly until up close, i had an Rg370dxl before, i didnt like the fret finish or the thicker neck, im hoping the neck of the 1570 will blown me away
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 05:45 PM

I have an rg921, an rg520qs, and an rg3xxv.

Out of those, the 921 is the one I grab most. 2nd is the rg3xxv.

I rarely play the 520 these days.
That is not taking anything away from it. It plays really well and sounds great with whatever pickups I have in it. I guess the weight (9.4 lbs!) and the thin neck push me away.

I have had little issues with all of them

The 520 had a fret issue at the 13th on the treble side.

The 921 was perfect except for a high fret at 22 on the low strings.

The rg3xxv I bought from Rich at ibanez rules so it was setup perfect. It had a finish issue (missing clear coat) on the lower horn point.

My optimum rg would be a 921 with a real maple cap and the maple fretboard and neck profile from the rg3.

The tight end r bridge is an amazing bridge BTW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode