Using 6 string Ibanez RG as a 7 string? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Using 6 string Ibanez RG as a 7 string?

Using 6 string Ibanez RG as a 7 string (without the thinnest E string)?
What do ou think about this..any experiences..?
My guitar is rg550ex...with lo pro edge..
I am serioslyu planning to do this..so i am just going to buy strings for the 7 string and put on upper six strings..
i think that this should work, as i was doing similar things before..using 10s in a one whole step down tuning gave great feeling, and even i didn't need to do the set up, cause dropping the tuning, and using strings fatter then my regular 9s gave the almost equal tension as with 9s in regular tuning..
Can this be dangerous for the neck or something..?
Any input highly appreciated..
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 03:44 PM

Re: Using 6 string Ibanez RG as a 7 string?

i used to do it...till i got a 7 string i never had problems
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 06:16 PM

I used to do that until i got a real 7 string because when i wanted to use drop A on my 6 string the strings were to loose and with a 7 sting it is much easier to drop the B string to an A and have more string tension and etc.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 06:40 PM

Reviews: 7

I use to play in B with.70's on one of my RG's so I'd say it's pretty safe for you to be using a normal 7 string set on a 6.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanx guys..guess i'll go for it..great..who knows..maybe i even won't need a 7 string at all!!!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 12:17 PM

It'll never be as good as a full set of seven strings!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 06:39 PM

the high E string is usually a crucial part of most people's phrasing, and helps a lot with your usual chord voicings. I used to do this before I got my seven-string, but if you want a seven-string, do yourself a favor and just buy one.

a use 7620 or 7420 is a good bet
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 08:12 PM

Reviews: 12

Quote:
Using 6 string Ibanez RG as a 7 string (without the thinnest E string)?
What do ou think about this..any experiences..?
My guitar is rg550ex...with lo pro edge..
no problem at all... Carcass tuned/tunes their RG's/S's to B way since the late 80s/early 90s. If i remember correctly, their gauges consisted of: 56, 46, 36, 24, 18, and 12.

Reg
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 08:40 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Using 6 string Ibanez RG as a 7 string?

I have a Jem that I tune down 2 whole steps to C, With Dean Markley 12's.
The great thing about it, is all my 80's poppy sounding material, is dark and fresh now...
I've had that one tuned down for about 7 years, never any problems with it.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM45 View Post
It'll never be as good as a full set of seven strings!
True dat.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 11:14 AM

A 7 string RG is far more inspiring and a lot more useful than a 6 string RG tuned to B standard.

However, both have their perks in feel, and I STILL tune a 6 string RG down to B or C here and there, regardless of the fact that I have an RG7621. It depends on the feel you're going for.

I reccomend not using anything over a .60 gauge though, or you'll just have a swell time setting it up.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 10:08 AM
Dee

You can easily work out which gauges to put together using a tension calculator. A .60 shouldn't be a problem, although a 59 is probably better because when it's tuned to B it's very close to the tension of a 44 tuned to E.

Here's how to get the tension of a low-B tuned custom string set close to the tension of a set of 9's:

12-16-24-32-44-59

Total tension = 90.3 pounds.

That's close to a set of 9's and should only require very minor adjustments of the trem claw. In some ways, a low-tuned 6 will be much better for a player who is used to playing a 6-string only. There is no re-learning the fretboard like there is with a 7-string, it's a straight adaptation. I own a 7 and a 6, and if anyone ever tells you that a 7 is easy to get your head around after playing a 6 for many years, don't believe them! It takes a long time! I've had my 7 for a while now and I'm still nowhere near being as fluent on it as I am on a 6. In hindsight, I should probably have bought another 6 and tuned it down. The only difference is you don't get the 5 highest notes.

EDIT: I just realized I'm replying to a thread from 2006! guitarplayerone, it's your fault!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 12:20 PM

I dunno man. I'm not trying to be condescending here, but I had a very easy time switching over to a 7 string. I don't know that I "switched over", but it was more like I learned the instrument... again, a 7 string is more inspiring as an instrument, and is almost a new animal altogether. By that token, I definitely want an 8 string.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Dee

There's nothing condescending about your post, my friend. I guess it's different for all of us, but speaking for myself and a few people I know who bought 7's didn't have an easy time making the switch. At first it was easier than I thought, but a little while later I realized it's actually harder to play along with something I'd normally play on a 6-string without really testing my brain. Maybe I just need more time, but it's been a few months already and I'm still having trouble. On the other hand, having played a 6 for about 28 years now I can't expect to adapt overnight.

7-string is a lot of fun, though. I had a great time working out all the songs I have listened to for years but was never able to play along to. Much of the Planet X material was written on a 7, plus the OTV album "Serious Young Insects" are all a blast to jam to. I'm not sure if you're familiar with those bands, but if not, check 'em out! They are awesome. Very difficult to learn, though.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
There's nothing condescending about your post, my friend. I guess it's different for all of us, but speaking for myself and a few people I know who bought 7's didn't have an easy time making the switch. At first it was easier than I thought, but a little while later I realized it's actually harder to play along with something I'd normally play on a 6-string without really testing my brain. Maybe I just need more time, but it's been a few months already and I'm still having trouble. On the other hand, having played a 6 for about 28 years now I can't expect to adapt overnight.
I played six for about 8 years before switching to 7. It took me about six or seven months to get fully used to it, and now six-string material is the same exact thing, but the extra range is indispensable for soloing...

Tags
dean markley , death metal , pro edge , string tension , trem claw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode