usrg-30 - the little hole in the neck... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
usrg-30 - the little hole in the neck...

I've heard that you're not supposed to mess with the little pin through the trussrod, unles you want to spring for the cost of a new one. I also find the hole distracting. Would it be advisable to fill it in with some kind of epoxy, or would a tech ever need acces to it in some dire case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 02:06 PM

usrg-30

I contacted Hoshino on this and they say that the hole is used to lock the guts of the neck in place, has no after-production value or use whatsoever. *Sure, fill it in.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 06:31 PM

usrg-30

"The pin through the neck secures the neck and fingerboard, leaving the stress on the steel rod."

Don't mess with it. *Here's more info on your PBC neck:

http://www.bunkerguitars.com/tf_neck.html
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

usrg-30

I don't want to mess with it, the idea is to fill it so that nothing will ever happen to the little pin. I definitely don't want the neck coming unravelled, hence- the filling...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 10:44 PM

usrg-30

I guess I am curious to know why you'd want to fill it?

It's on the treble side of the neck, which is normally pointed straight to the ground. *It doesn't interfere with playability, or does it? *I never had a playability issue with this hole!

It's your guitar I am just wondering.

If it's made it this far (after about 6-7 years), you have nothing to worry about! *

(Edited by kirk at 6:05 am on Mar. 31, 2001)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 10:46 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
usrg-30

sometimes it is best just to leave things alone ...glen
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2001, 08:44 PM

usrg-30

I took that screw out and after I did it, the headstock was able to be pulled out of the neck along with the rod that's in there. (after strings are off) So I took this opportunity to oil up the steel rod so it wouldn't rust and looked at my headless Ibanez for a few seconds and then put it back. It didn't hurt anything. If you want to take that off though, you have to take off the neck and get the truss rod tension screw off too. I wouldn't advise doing that unless you know how to set up ypur guitar properly!

* *Steve
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2001, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

usrg-30

Hey guys, thanks for all the info and opinions. Part of the reason for me asking all these stupid questions is that until sunday, I didn't actually have it home yet. So of course, as guitars are wont to do, it grew to mythic proportions. The tiny, eentsy-weensty hole grew into the grand canyon. The maple top turned into the elusive figured, AAAAAAAA flame/curly/quilted/birdseye, etc. This is mostly due to the fact that I've never owned a reasonably expensive instrument. Don't get me wrong, it's not expensive to you lucky fellows who own Jems (the nicest guitars in the world), but for an 18 year old(on wednesday) whose been eyeballing the same guitar for four years, this is the best one in the world right now (and best birthday present I've ever given myself). And paying that much for a new guitar is really new to me, so I didn't want it to be much less than perfect. I know it's not, but I'm just now getting used to the idea. So far I love it. One other thing, though. I don't think it's hardly been played outside the store. The trem is soooooooooo tight. I'm going to try the thing with removing the spring alternately overnight. My other guitar is a S-540, and it was beat to hell when I got it. The scale length, as far as I can tell, is nearly the same on both guitars, but the Rg plays way too tight. Would you guys say that it's the scale length that makes the action so stiff, or the springs (i.e.-not broken in)? Please don't tell me to go to the tech section, I know it by heart (almost). I just want to know if the USRG's tend to play really tight (something about the neck being an extra inch or so longer than other Rg's and Jem's), or does it just need to be broken in? *Sorry about the long post, my fingers are buffed from all the guitar playing. :lame:
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 02:39 AM

usrg-30

Ummm, I'd bet the springs are just too tight. *My USRG plays pretty loose.
My UV on the other hand, only has 3 springs in it and I have to get an elephant to sit on the whammy bar just for some vibrato.
What do you mean about the neck being longer? *My other 24 fret guitars all measure the same dude, 25.5
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 12:42 PM

usrg-30

It could be the guitar plays "tight" because of the gauge strings it has. Replace them, do a setup and see what happens.

J>
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2001, 01:40 AM

usrg-30

Your guitar plays tight because of the trem springs more than likely. *When your springs are really tight, it requires more effort to bend because the trem doesn't raise up as much with the increased tension on the strings. *The good side is, you shouldn't have to bend the string as far to gain a higher note. *The bad part is it doesn't feel good. *Hehe, i know the drill. *Give this a shot: *put your springs from your S540 in your usrg and try to get used replacements for the S540. *I know this sounds crazy, but go to your music store and ask if they would let you trade springs for the ones in say a '89 Jackson or whathave you. *Anything with age on it. *Tell them you'll do the work and I bet they go for it.
Good luck!
The love and hate with Ibanez trems. *(mostly love)
KO
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2001, 02:27 AM
Vendor

usrg-30

I've always found the springs get stiff from lack of use, like they're static. They need to be used, and alot to get spongy. *Springs react wierd to lots of things. Getting tweaked too much doing a setup they get *confused* until they finally figure out what you're asking them to do! And then don't fully settle in for 24 hours. Not being stretched at all for long periods makes them really stiff until they get abused a little to soften them up again.

It also seems to make a little diference if the trem angle is just a little past perpendicular tword the strings. Like the angle preloads the tension to the string side so the trem will 'give' easier to that side when bending.

Another thing that can make it feel stiff is mild fret corrosion if it hasn't been played or is kept in a bad atmosphere (like in Connecticut). Heavy corrosion and you would instantly notice the strings *sticking* to the frets on bends and vibrato, but a real light coat just stiffens the bends giving far from silky feel. Make sure the fret crowns are polished.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2001, 03:09 PM

usrg-30

are you suggesting metal memory, like those titanium glass frames?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2001, 07:37 PM

usrg-30

Congrats on the RG, Eddie...post a pic so we can gander!

I think Rich has a good point about spring "break in."

Also, I was just talking to an experienced Ibanez player last night who suggested that better action can be achieved by shimming the neck and nut slightly and raising the bridge to compensate...this is also supposed to relax the trem feel as well. *Can anybody comment?
Greg
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2001, 07:50 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
usrg-30

I don't think the springs change much after a day or two. Put on new strings and reevaluate. To do anything more now is counterproductive.

Quote:
Also, I was just talking to an experienced Ibanez player last night who suggested that better action can be achieved by shimming the neck and nut slightly and raising the bridge to compensate...this is also supposed to relax the trem feel as well. *Can anybody comment? Greg
The string angle from nut to bridge can effect the tremolo, especially if the neck is too parallel to the body (ie. shim the headstock side of the pocket). Lots of trial and error needed here.

Tags
fret guitar , fret guitars , gauge strings , guitar playing , ibanez trem , music store , neck screws , trem springs , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode