USRG Neck rattle - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2001, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

USRG Neck rattle

I just aqquired a USRG30-TBQ.
I have noticed a rattle in the neck. Like the truss rod is loose or somthing like that.
I have never touched one of these guitars until today and certainly know crapola about the Tension Free necks.

Can anyone help?

J>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 03:48 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
USRG Neck rattle

where is the rattle... by the headstock, heel-joint? I assume this is not something simple like the pressur pads rattling and everything has been inspected OK... glen
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

USRG Neck rattle

Quote:
Quote: from jemsite on 3:48 pm on May 25, 2001
where is the rattle... by the headstock, heel-joint? I assume this is not something simple like the pressur pads rattling and everything has been inspected OK... glen
It feels like it's right in the middle of the neck.

Nut, pads, neck screws and headstock are tight. I gave the truss rod a small turn (1/8 of a turn, if that) *and the rattle seems to have gone away....strange.

I just got it, (Thanks Tom Cook) so this weekend it gets a setup. But I don't think it's anything to worry about. I'll keep you guys updated.

J>
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2001, 03:40 PM

USRG Neck rattle

Since it doesn't actually have a "truss rod" per se, the steel rod is actually acting as the neck, absorbing all the tension. You can almost consider the neck itself there for your enjoyment, because it would be awfully hard to play a steel rod. Since the rod flexes independently of the neck, there can be creaks and rattles as they touch. I took mine apart (side allen bolt out, neck allen bolt out, nut connection plate out, remove headstock by pulling it) and coated the rod with linseed oil. I debated between that and something thicker like car grease. I wish I would've used the car grease because it would last longer in there. Anyway, When I put it back together the noise was 100% gone. *It was the rod and the wood creaking like a door hinge. If it's rattling when you play certain notes then you have to figure out a way to keep it put. Even then, a thick grease should absorb that too.

Tags
neck screws , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode