USRG Serial Numbers help.. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

USRG Serial Numbers help..

Hey guys. Im in the process of picking up a USRG30, and Im having a tough time getting info on the Serial number. Its different than most Ibby #'s. I know that some of the 30's were made by PBC, and Ive emailed Dave Bunker asking him for info to no avail. I also emailed Rich, who suggested I start collecting numbers and maybe cross referencing.

If any one has any info, or a clue for me, feel free to post or PM me. Im just curious as to when/what/where/who concerning this guitar..

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 08:18 AM

Re: USRG Serial Numbers help..

The USRG series has serial numbers in the format:

US{month}{year}{number}

They were made between 1994 - 1996 and thus the year could either be 94, 95 or 96.

For example, a guitar made in november in 1994 could have the serial number:

US119400X

From what I have heard the other USA Custom Series have japanese serials beginning with an F (since they were made i Japan but assembled in the USA).
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Awesome man thanks!! That answered my question..:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzelot View Post
The USRG series has serial numbers in the format:

US{month}{year}{number}

They were made between 1994 - 1996 and thus the year could either be 94, 95 or 96.

For example, a guitar made in november in 1994 could have the serial number:

US119400X

From what I have heard the other USA Custom Series have japanese serials beginning with an F (since they were made i Japan but assembled in the USA).
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
Awesome man thanks!! That answered my question..:-)
My pleasure. I used to own a transparent purple USRG30 - perhaps the very first one made in 1994 (US1194001). Great guitar, but I never really bonded with the neck. Fortunately, it has stayed within the jemsite "family".
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

What didnt you like about the neck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzelot View Post
My pleasure. I used to own a transparent purple USRG30 - perhaps the very first one made in 1994 (US1194001). Great guitar, but I never really bonded with the neck. Fortunately, it has stayed within the jemsite "family".
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
What didnt you like about the neck?
I am used to the Ultra neck that I have on my Radius models but I also like the Wizard necks. However, the neck on the USRG is both wide and fat at the same time. I don't know how to describe it, but it didn't fit me.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 04:29 PM

sorry double posting guys. Read below.

Last edited by shreddyknight; 10-20-2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: double posting
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 04:34 PM

Hey there

You must have in mind that there are lots of USRG models withouth stickers with serial number becuase they loose the sticker with serial from past of time, itīs very easy to be unglued the stickers about temperature etc... Also there are a few models that serial number are not in stickers.. are engraved on the wood on the back of headstok.

I have a very special USRG30TP that was given to a very well known player who was a endrosee of Ibanez at the time, and serial number on this is engraved on back of head as follows:

USA0X0X 00XX

where X beside USA are month and day and 00XX is the unit made.

I have 2 USRG right now and in my opinion are one of the better made and sounding Ibanez, but they seemed to be quite underated for most of Ibanez users. I found a more deep and "belly" sound very resonant on clean channel wich makes that this models sounds not so "Ibanez".

What "Lanzelot" bro says about the neck is that USRG has a very odd neck for an Ibanez guitar. I feel is very similar to the RG770Dx or FGM model, itīs quite thin and flat but with a profile or contour on the back on C shape quite wide so makes it feel strange. Theres another point that is that neck seems to be made for a diffrent kind of joint to the body becuase last area of neck before joint has a more prominent wood shape like it was for a heel hoint, but in fact itīs a AANJ. This also could make you feel strange with neck at the end.

First time I got a USRG on back 1997 I remember I love it everything but I hate the neck profile and sell it after a year or so withouth playing it much. Then I realize how wonderful sounds and got another one. I mean... all we have differents likes and dislikes, preferences and experiences and opinions about necks, shapes, pups, bridges etc... so you can be wrong about neck but never be wrong about quality of instrument about construction, finish and more important sound.

Hope this it helps a bit more.

CheersĄĄ

Javier
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 04:47 PM

I also realized with time... this last 13 years I had 7 USRGs 5 Trans Porple finish, one Red and one Amber... and see some other more on web sites or googling.. and see that TP finish seems to be quite sensible to fade with time for no special reason. I mean... the USRGs I own as all my guitars are taken good care. They were not exposed to sun light for lot of time and most of them were even not gigged, but even having them at home they are fading slowly and I donīt know reason... maybe electric light??? maybe this models have a special lacquer finish that makem them fade more easily??? only happens on TP finishes???(becuase I always seen it on TP finishes) is a problem of a reaction of any componet on purple finish reacting with some component on lacquer???

I know that soem people donīt take care of instruments about light exposing and leaving bear a window or balcony at midday etc.. but the 2 USRG I have currently one were taking in good care, one was from a big Ibanez collector and great guy Oliver Pfander and he realizes of this thing as well as guitar truns more into brown finihs than porple and the other one is the one I speak on previous post and comes to me in very vibrant finish purple but now after several years on my home (I never gigged this one) is starting fading sensible slowing but fading ...

very curious and very odd as well... any thoughts on this???

CheersĄĄ

Javier

Tags
usrg30

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode