USRG30 emerald green flame maple top... happy - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
bdk

USRG30 emerald green flame maple top... happy

Just got this beauty today... paid 735 shipped. A bit steep, but had to have her. I mean, some older posts say this guitar is worth 500 bucks, then the last one on ebay sold for 995, and 1599. So not entirely sure how to value her. No case. In great condition, one thin scratch on front, and headstock has a chip. Other than that, near perfect.

The neck is AMAZING. The radius has to be flatter than a typical RG, I mean, it's as flat as my 540PII neck, which is the flattest I ever played. When I took her out of the box, I thought the strings were loosened and too low, but they weren'T! no fret buzz at all. I think the whole "additional resonance" is BS to be honest, but I'll keep fiddling around and see how it goes.

The maple top is nice, typically these are quilted, I prefer flamed. Here are the pics:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
bdk

Re: USRG30 emerald green flame maple top... happy

Another oddity: has original Edge NOT Lo Pro, which it's supposed to weird...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 02:54 AM

Not a Lo-Pro? That is odd. Not aware of '30 that came stock like that. Were they interchangable? Maybe the original owner swapped it out. The Lo-Pro is my personal all time fave but the original Edge is a close second...

In any event, CONGRATS!! She looks gorgeous! I used to own a '96 USRG30ST that was my main guitar for about 9 years. I had a handful of nice RGs during that time but the '30 was always my "workhorse". Loved the sound of the TZ and PAF Pro combined with the alder body/maple top. Took a while to get used to the weird neck joint and smaller frets but overall, I think the USRGs are terrific!

Again congrats! Enjoy her!
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 08:28 AM

That's a beauty man! Weird about the trem though, either way it's an excellent trem in great shape. I saw one of the green 30s listed on the bay for $1600 recently and that was just too high. Don't see many of the green ones pop up though, so congrats on a sweet score!

As for the string tension thing, it definitely feels looser than any other guitar I've played that wasn't detuned, but man does it make them super bendy. I love the way they feel!

Last edited by DaylightDies; 04-16-2011 at 10:41 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 10:15 AM

That's a great score! Nicely done!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 04:24 PM

love those USRG models.
sweet maple top.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 04:33 PM

Congrats on the new axe!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 04:34 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchRG View Post
Not a Lo-Pro? That is odd. Not aware of '30 that came stock like that. Were they interchangable? Maybe the original owner swapped it out. The Lo-Pro is my personal all time fave but the original Edge is a close second...

In any event, CONGRATS!! She looks gorgeous! I used to own a '96 USRG30ST that was my main guitar for about 9 years. I had a handful of nice RGs during that time but the '30 was always my "workhorse". Loved the sound of the TZ and PAF Pro combined with the alder body/maple top. Took a while to get used to the weird neck joint and smaller frets but overall, I think the USRGs are terrific!

Again congrats! Enjoy her!
I think it's cool that it has an Edge in it!!! I think it could very well be original to the guitar though. The USA custom shops had parts bins too.....

I have no proof of it, but it seems to me that if the individual building your guitar decided he wanted to put an OE in it instead of an LP, it would be easy enough to do.......... especially if it was a special order!!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 07:08 PM

Reviews: 1

Beautiful guitar! I really love the look of a quilted or flamed maple top. All my ibby's have one.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 07:10 AM

Wow! Spectacular maple top, really like the green too.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:16 AM

Looks stunning, bet your chuffed
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:52 AM

Very cool. I can't understand why Ibanez never sells green guitars?

The Ibanez literature doesn't specifically state that the guitars had quilted tops, just figured maple tops. That said, this is the first flame maple one I've seen.

The hardware is most likely not original. The knobs should have been black plastic rather than cosmo. Most likely, it just had a badly corroded trem and someone popped a new Edge in there. Cosmo hardware has a way of getting trashed if people tret it badly.

I had a '96 USRG30BT that I sold in basically mint condition to a guy in Quebec. I saw it up on eBay three years later (there was an easy way I could tell it was my guitar). Poor thing was sitting there with no strings on it and all the hardware was trashed. I think the guy was trying to sell it for $500 more than he bought it from me for!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 01:48 PM

damn thats a sweet axe
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 05:22 PM

Reviews: 39

Righteous.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
bdk

So I recall my previous belief that the tension free neck is all gimmick. It definitely makes a difference. There are NO deadspots or sweetspots on the guitar! The whole neck is one big clear sweet spot!!! The strings stay loose because there isn't neck bowing to deal with, and the playbility is insane. INSANE!!!

It is a loud guitar sonically, which is what the TFNeck claims to do, to create more resonance. So far I'm very impressed with this guitar. Gonna sell my RG570FM if anyone wants it, it has a 770 neck on it and upgraded pickups. shoot me a pm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode