UV / Wizard 7 necks ? - Which one? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

UV / Wizard 7 necks ? - Which one?

After reading the thread about the Ibanez 7-strings in 2001 I started to think (Oh No!!!:sarcasm which neck do I have...?

The 98 Ibanez catalog says that the 7620 has the UV neck...and I have 98 model, but I have read somewhere else that they would have the Wizard 7.
And 99 and beyond models having the wizard 7...so I'm bit confused...

And is there really a difference between the UV / Wizard 7 necks ???
It wouldn't be the first time for Ibanez to print wrong specs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 05:07 AM

2000 they switched to wizard 7
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 12:37 PM

I believe the wizard neck is a three piece laminated neck, some have a bubinga stripe, others are just all maple. The UV neck is a single piece of quartersawn maple. I think they both have scarf joints unless you have a prestige neck which does not, a volute will be there instead.

Older 7620s have the uv necks, I have a 98 also and it definitely has a uv neck. I have a 2027 with a prestige wizard neck, different profile entirely, and I also have a UV777BK and the profile matches my 7620. I prefer the UV profile but they all feel good to me.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 01:06 PM

Cool...so that means the one that I tried out a while ago was also a UV neck...neat-o.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 02:17 PM

Yep. Stripe down the back: Wizard. No stripe: UV. The Wizard prestige on my new (yaaaaay!) 2027 feels like a flatter UV; about the same thickness, but more of a D-shape than the rounder UV. I prefer the thicker UV profile to the thinner wizard (screws with my wrist, or used to, anyway; i no longer own any wizard necks). It's too early to tell, but i think the Wizard prestige may be becoming my favorite- i love how the shape feels.

-Drew
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 03:19 PM

Now I'm confused...the 7620 I played had no bubinga stripe, but had a very flat back to the neck.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 03:25 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
there is much confusion in this thread, for many reasons. Here are the facts as i believe them to be true.

* ibanez print catalogs are never the gospel

* the RG7s *never* had "UV" necks or ones with a UV profile. Any similarity was due to the slight variations of the final hand-finishing. They didn't just take UV777BK necks and put them on the RG7620s with a different fretboard.

* the original RG7620s had the 1-piece (plus headstock) neck, like the jems, uvs, rgs did for a decade. Ie... no bubinga stripe. Later the bubinga stripe was added, keeping the same general profile.

* the UV777BK neck is still 1-piece (plus headstock) and is a different profile than the "wizard-7" neck found on the RG7s.

* all ibanez necks vary slightly due to hand finishing.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 03:26 PM

Well, the default UV shape is pretty flat... but the prestige 7 feels noticeably flatter to me. It's tough to describe, but if you play both, you'll feel the difference.

Actually, i haven't touched the 7620 since getting the 2027, but that was my first impression- "wow, this feels flatter." I'll compare tonight.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
* the RG7s *never* had "UV" necks or ones with a UV profile. Any similarity was due to the slight variations of the final hand-finishing. They didn't just take UV777BK necks and put them on the RG7620s with a different fretboard.
Well, mine definately doesn't have a neck that was intended for a UV that got a different fretboard and some paint touch-up work; the pocket is clearly stamped RG7-620. However, from what i hear from littlegreenman (who'se owned a few rg-7's and at least one 777bk, the details fail me at the moment), he seems fairly sure its the same profile. Anyway, it's definately significantly thicker than the wizard-6 neck on the 520 i sold to purchase the 7; closer in thickness to a wizard-II, which would seem to lead credance to the idea that they used the same profile (just minus the prestige finishing) for the 7620, as i think i remember reading here that the Jem neck was somewhere between the two in thickness.

The kicker here of course would be testimony from someone who'd played both the "UV profile" and "W-7 profile" (in parentheses pending confirmation that there really IS a difference between the striped and unstriped) necks to confirm whether or not there was a change in profile between the two.

It would make sense to me, though; they could either reuse all the machining equiptment from the UV-777 to make necks for the early RG series, or create a whole new ensemble (or computer codes, if it was computerized) to make the new RG necks. It'd be cheaper for them to simply reuse the same machining equiptment rather than starting over from the ground up.

Of course, ibanez doesn't necessarily MAKE sense... *shakes head*

-Drew
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 04:05 PM
site founder 0% owner

computer routing allows no extra equipment costs to make different profile necks. it's as easy as selecting the program to run and letting the machine do it's work

you'd have to play a handfull or RG7s with the striped neck and an equal amount without the bubinga stripe to even begin to obtain a size reference point...glen
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
computer routing allows no extra equipment costs to make different profile necks. it's as easy as selecting the program to run and letting the machine do it's work

you'd have to play a handfull or RG7s with the striped neck and an equal amount without the bubinga stripe to even begin to obtain a size reference point...glen
Hey, i'd love to. Although i'd have a feeling that even with differences due to hand-finishing, the results would be pretty aparent on the first two- i mean, we're talking a couple mm here, that doesn't seem like a lot, but it is on the neck of a guitar.

But yeah, we need a lot of play testing before we can answer this one. Anyone out there have experience with both?

-Drew

Edit: researched Ibanez's website- they're not 100% accurate, but it's a good starting place.

Wizard:
43mm wide at nut
17mm thick at nut
56mm wide at 21st
20 mm thick at 21st

Wizard-7:
48mm wide at nut
19mm thick at nut
65mm wide at 21st
21mm thick at 21st

UV-7
48mm wide at nut
20mm thick at nut
65mm wide at 21st
21.5mm thick at 21st

This is VERY close to a UV, possibly close enough so lgm didn't notice a difference, and significantly thicker than the wizard, enough so so i might have noticed one. This difference could be vERY hard to notice, and you're right, i'd want a room full of 'em to tell. I mean, i'd want a room full of rg7's and UV's anyway, but...
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 10:51 AM

This is all just semantics in my opinion. From a marketing stand point, my RG7620 neck is a wizard 7, understood...

My 2027 neck is also a Wizard 7. My UV is obviously a UV neck. All I know is that my RG7620 neck is absolutely identical to my UV in feel and profile. THe 2027 isn't even close to the same, not even close. You can look at them all lined up and immediately tell the difference in profile without even touching them.

I have yet to play a 76XX or 74XX with a bubinga stripe so I cannot comment on the difference there.

I don't really give a rip either way, I like both profiles, life is good...
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 04:15 PM

probably... i'm starting to think that, cosmetic differences aside, the only difference between the "uv profile" 7620 necks and the wizard-7 necks may in fact be the name. I agree the prestige 7 shape is way different. i think i might prefer it.

-Drew
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 04:18 PM
site founder 0% owner

they're not the same.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 04:35 PM

prestige 7 and uv/wizard-7? or UV/wizard-7? The prestige on my 2027 is definately different than the (of whatever origin) neck on my 7620. Much flater curve to the back of the neck, and if nothing else there's the volute (sp?) under the headstock. As for the UV and Wizard-7, i'm afraid i might actually agree with you now- the differences appear to be slight, but in all likelyhood they're related but different shapes.

Course, ibanez couldn't just come out and SAY that, now could they?

-Drew

Tags
ibanez catalog , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , jem neck , les paul , prestige wizard , prestige wizard neck , scarf joint , wizard prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode