UV7 vs RG7620 - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 08:27 PM

That's funny, 'cause the UV777BK I played I thought looked cheesy, and played about the same as my RG7620. The only "superior" part of the UV is arguably the quality control (although this one had a pickguard that didn't sit on the guitar correctly) and pickups.

Besides, I'd prefer to save the extra dough and buy TWO or THREE RG7620s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 09:15 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
the RG7620 had a street price of about $850+ when it came out. The UV777BK was clearly a better axe but was it $500+ better? For many of us, the pickups and 2-1-2 config & prestige neck made the UV worthwhile. Your mileage may vary.

At $299-399 closeout pricing the RG7620 is a seriously good deal and might make more sense over the UV for those on a budget ... glen
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 09:25 PM

i wish i could find a 7620 for 300 here in chile! (even if i add about 150 for shipping from the US it's a pretty good deal to me.....GAS thoughts invade me!)
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 09:57 PM

Re: hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31

They can, they did, and they are. Yeah, that middle pickup, that slab of plastic, the different hole cut for the input jack, and the colour difference really cost a lot. Anyone like to buy a name??

no, but pyramid inlays, body routing, and a nicer grade of rosewood for a fretboard, better overall fit and finish does cost a lot more.

To me, the new UV's sucked, I had one, I also had 2 7620's, but, the overall quality of the UV side by side to the RG's was distinctly better. It might not mean much to most people, but the quality of the paint is better on the UV's too, the UV finish was like glass, the RG's you could see wood grain, why? it is the exact same wood, same body shape, ahhh, but different finishing process. Also, the fret job on the UV777BK would be more money due to a bound neck.

You an complain about the cost of the UV compared to the RG all you want, but the bottom line is, for a production guitar, the UV is 10X the guitar the RG is.

you cannot compare the price of the RG now as it's out of production and being blown out. Oh, one other thing, the UV is mass produced, but not to the numbers that the RG was, if you built 3 times as many UV's, the price would probably be lower too.
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 10:28 PM

Well, I'm not complaining about the price. I'm not like that. I can understand perfectly why a signature instrument would street for $1500. I just chose to exercise my right to pay less for a nearly equal instrument that doesn't have the artist's personal style emblazoned all over it.

I personally don't buy signature instruments becuase they aren't mine. That's not to say I have anything against them - on the contrary I love JEMs and UVs, they play great. RGs play great and are less filling. I customize all my guitars the way *I* want them. All else being equal, it makes more sense to buy an RG over a JEM, or an RG7 over a UV.

It's pretty well known that Ibanez's QC is hit-and-miss. The UV777BK I played NEW at the store had a pickguard that didn't sit flat, high action, a few crooked guard screws, and at least one high fret. So much for Prestige quality. Orion (Kevan's UV777BK), on the other hand is immaculate. So I've never put much stock in the "signature guitars get better QC" arguement. Seems to be more of the "the ones that get picked up get better QC."

My '99 RG7620 cost me $300 shipped. Jem666SK's UV7BK'97 cost him $600+ shipped. Winner - RG7. Not that the UV's not a GREAT guitar. The RG's nearly as good a guitar and is bunches cheaper.
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 02:00 AM

Yeah, I know. I was just making the comment that was gonna be eventually made anyways.
post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 02:51 AM

It's like a certain review of the RG7620 on HCentral, that calls the 7620's bridge 'plastic', then goes on to say how much they like their UV..

It's the exact same bridge!

This tells me the person is just putting the guitar down to feel better about something else they bought.

Basswood is basswood.

Rosewood is rosewood(unless it's brazillian rosewood, which neither have).

The parts are all made in the same place, the bodies and necks are all run off the same machines..

I played a mint+ UV777BK right before I bought my RG7620. It was nice, but about $600 more.. The differences didin't make it worth the $$, for me. I'm more into 'player' guitars, inlays, body binding, pyramids on the body; these things are unimportant to me, and in some cases gaudy and ugly. The only thing I liked more on the UV was the neck binding, only playing improvement was the lighter neck finish, which cost me $10 to do to my RG7.

No wood grain is showing through my RG7's finish, though.. And, after all my mods, I'd put that RG7 up against any UV, any day of the week.
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

UV7 vs RG7620

Hey I haven't change my mind the UV7 is better then the RG7620 if you think about it the wire quality is different , the Uv7 has a pickguard, The paint of the Uv7 is better than the RG the Uv has more layers of paint , The Pickups are different , The pickups color and knobs are better,The UV7 is one piece maple neck the RG is three piece maple neck,the hardware of the RG stains in 2 months , The Uv doesnt and i check in many different web sites and they think the UV7 is a legend guitar.

UV7:
1) Better wire system.
2)Has a pickguard ( The RG doesnt)
3)Better paint (More layers of paint)
4)Pickups are different. Better sound.
5)The color of the knobs and the pickups are better and the inlays.
6)UV7 is one piece maple neck. (The RG is 3 piece maple neck so is easier to break.)
7)The hardware of the UV7 doesnt stains. (The RG7620 stains in two months)
The UV has a good name in Ibanez family "Universe" and is designed by one of the best guitar players in the world Mr. Steve Vai. And is a part of his guitar colection the RG7620 is not.

This explains why the UV7 is better then the RG7620 thanx for stoping by.
post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 08:03 AM

I agree

post removed by jemsite - duplicate registration.
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 08:43 AM

Re: UV7 vs RG7620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem666Sk
UV7:
1) Better wire system.
6)UV7 is one piece maple neck. (The RG is 3 piece maple neck so is easier to break.)
The UV has a good name in Ibanez family "Universe" and is designed by one of the best guitar players in the world Mr. Steve Vai. And is a part of his guitar colection the RG7620 is not.
And because of these "features" Mr. Petrucci couldn't have played the solo you're talking about on a 7620??

About these points you brought up:
1) yeah, wire system. mkaay.
2) Theres that ultra-rare Guitar called GRX40. It has a pickguard!! Must play like a dream.
3) Yeah, the paint. see last point.
4) The pickups are indeed different, but define "better sound".
5) There seems to be something magical about that "better color"
6) Read the neck section on this page.
7) Every hardware changes it's color when used hard
Yeah, and those green strats are better than sunburst strats cause that guy of blink 182 plays them. insert irony here.

Hmm If you want me to, I too could register a 2nd time on these boards to defend my own opinion. Have a nice day.
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 10:12 AM

This is all pointless. You like UVs, play UVs...you like 7620s, you play 7620s. Now everyone play nice or I'll have to separate you.
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 12:00 PM

Re: UV7 vs RG7620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem666Sk
UV7:
1) Better wire system.

This explains why the UV7 is better then the RG7620 thanx for stoping by.
1.) Better? not necessarily. Different? yeah. I personally happen to prefer guitars without a middle single coil pickup, and i think the two humbucker tone of my RG-7 is one of the best rhythm tones i've ever heard- more defined and with better high end articulation than either humbucker on its own. One of the heaviest sounds i've ever dragged out of a guitar.
2.) Yeah... good point... of course, many on this board would argue the direct-mounted RG pickups offer superior resonance than the pickguad-mounted UV.
3.) More layers? Interesting... any way you can prove that? My RG's finish is flawless, by the way. Anyone who wants pics who might not believe that, let me know.
4.) Pickups are different? Yeah. Better sound? All relative, but i'll give you that one, as i didn't care for the stock dimarzios on my RG. the $100 mod for a Air norton/Tone Zone 7 combo, on the other hand, more than made up for this difference
5.) color of the pickups and knobs? Well, i'd personally take black metal over neon green plastic anyday... the UV7Bk with green dots? I'll take my pearloid dots, sorry. the UV777BK's dissapearing abalone pyramids? maybe we can talk.
6.) Actually,. a three peice neck is stronger than a one peice. the reason the RG neck is more fragile is because it's thinner. Course, all the pre-'00 RG-7's shipped with a UV-profile, one peice maple neck, so that's a moot point...
7.) Hardware staining? huh? First of, it's the same hardwear, and second off, after about a year and a few odd months, my lo-pro edge is still flawless. no pimpling of the finish, even. Same bridge, dude.
8.) Point taken... course, the RG line was also designed with imput from Vai...

So... how bout i offer a few points of my own?

1.) Cosmetics. UV7BK- black and neon green. My RG-7 is burgandy and black. a bit classier, IMO.
2.) price. BIIIG selling point here. I got mine before they went on closeout for $750. Even after the replacement pickups, i'm still looking at less than $900 new. Try finding a new UV for less than that.
3.) one phrase for you- "all access neck joint." Once you try it, you'll never go back. Once again, the UV777Bk has this... but we're not talking about the 777, now are we?
4.) the aforementioned pickup scheme. Even if i had a middle pickup, i'd have to custom wire the thing so i could still get that combined humbucker tone out of it.
5.) see #3.

So, i'm not going to pretend there's any absolute answer here, but for me i personally feel that a good RG-7620 is a better instrument than a UV7BK, and that the RG-7620 is a better value than a UV-777BK. your milage may vary, but if it does, please inform us of the differences in your opinion (because it IS that, not a fact or proof) in a polite, articulate manner.

Gresh- priceless, dude. Hey, as long as we're playing, huh?
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 01:08 PM
dex

Reading that thread I almost feel like saying "Own corners".

Both axes are great guitars.
It's just that the UV was customised to Mr Vai's exact specifications.
If that doesn't make you want to spend the extra buck - that's OK.
Think of it like this.
Having Evo, Pia and Flo on the market with $600 mark-up in price on the stock VWH.
Not the same guitar, and according to Mr. Vai better than the stock VWH, even if slightly better.

Some people say that there isn't enough of a difference to warant the differences in prices.

Scratch plate not enough of a difference?
Extra single coil not enough of a difference?
Neck binding not enough of a difference?
Piramid inlays not enough of a difference?
Body binding not enough of a difference?
Slightly differen neck thickness not enough of a difference?
Different humbuckers not enough of a difference?
Different colour hardware, different control knobs?
And I'll say it again - Mr. Vay thinks that the UV is better.
It's your right to disagree with anyone, but don't say the 7620 is the same guitar only cheaper, because it's not.

Relax guys. Breathe... Breathe...

I know I should take my own advice and breathe as well
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 05:00 PM

Yeah, it's not the SAME guitar, but it's a great guitar. As a proud (and fairly verbose ) 7620 owner, i just don't feel like sitting around and listening to some kid slag into it just because his favorite guitarist didn't use it in his favorite video. don't get me wrong, i wouldn't turn down a 777bk if it was to come my way... but i'd have to put a lot of thought into it before 'd sell the 7620 for a UV777.

Anyway, i'm about to get a 2027 in the mail (might be waiting when i get home, woohoo!), so this is pretty irrelevant.

-Drew

EDIT- and i can't tell you guys this enough, if you get a pre-'00 RG7, you're getting the SAME neck profile!!!
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 07:59 PM

Exactly - they're both great guitars. In fact, the only thing that the 777BK has that I reaaaaaaaaly want is neck binding. Jeremy?

I think it's a good thing this guy is gone, that's all Jemsite needs is some idiot who wants to turn this place into a HC rehash. One of the things I've always dug about Jemsite was the ability of (most) everyone to debate while still respecting other's opinions. It's all about good, happiness stuff.

Tags
aanj neck , access neck joint , air norton , body shape , coil pickup , control knobs , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , direct mounted pickups , fixed bridge , fret board , guitar players , ibanez guitars , jem neck , john petrucci , maple neck , mounted pickups , neck binding , neck finish , neck joint , neck shape , prestige necks , pro edge , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , scratch plate , signature guitar , steve vai , tone zone , volume pots , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

where can i buy ibanez rg7620
RG7620 a bad guitar?