UV7 vs RG7620 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

UV7 vs RG7620

Guy my opinion is that the UV7 is better then Rg7620 because the rg is made of cheaper material and John Petrucci used a UV7 in his video "Lie" that took place in New York and he does a solo that proves that the UV7 is the man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 11:15 AM

Um...the RG-7620 (not RG-760, doesn't exist) is a very good guitar, and many people on this message board have one (or more). I don't think you want to be calling it a "guitar for poor people".
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 11:40 AM

RG7620s are fantastic guitars and are quite the equal to the older UV7s in nearly all respects. They're both made of the same materials and have the same hardware. The only thing "superior" about the UV line is the pickups, and that's subjective.

And, there was an RG760, BTW.
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 11:45 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
the UV neck is made with a bit more TLC, but the old neck joint of pre-UV777BKs is a huge tradeoff ...glen
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
(not RG-760, doesn't exist).
are you sure?

btw my 91 UV is better than any RG. that maybe because it's sweetly 'worn in' though
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 12:14 PM

IMO, the 7621 is the best seven string ever to be produced. But then again, I'm very partial towards a fixed bridge, and I haven't played a Universe, or the AF 207. So you can see how my personal opinion has been influenced.

Also, I think I've seen some discussions on the RG 760 when looking at the Other Ibanez Guitars topic section. I may be mistaken though.

I'm probably just being an @$$, but please keep the flame bait on the HC forum.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprile
Quote:
(not RG-760, doesn't exist).
are you sure?
Fine, let me rephrase: a 7-string guitar by the name RG-760 doesn't exist.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 03:49 PM

Re: UV7 vs RG7620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem666Sk
Guy my opinion is that the UV7 is better then Rg7620 because the rg is made of cheaper material and John Petrucci used a UV7 in his video "Lie" that took place in New York and he does a solo that proves that the UV7 is the man.
Actually, they're both made of basswood- same material. They also have the same trem and same hardware, and both have Dimarzio pickups. I'm not sure where the "cheaper" bit is coming from.

Additionally, just because petrucci used it for a video once doesn't make it an inherently better guitar- flip through mtv sometime and let me know if the PRS Santana SE's that Sum 41 plays in their Vid's are better than a 10-top McCarthy. Or, for that matter, a 7620.

So, in short, you bashed an excellent guitar because your hero didn't play your favorite solo on the video with it, in a city you like. So, how exactly is that proof? Please enlighten me.

(The 777BK, on the other hand- close to the same quality, but killer cosmetics. )

A 7620 owner,

-Drew
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

hey

The Uv is better Ibanez cant just make a guitar more expensive then the other one it has to be some change if is not would be stupid ok and the pickups are different ok
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 04:48 PM

OK, WHY is the UV better? Because Petrucci used one in a video and it has a higher price tag? From what I've gathered around here, the only difference between the UV777P BK and the RG 7620 are inlays, pickups, angled output jack, pickguard, and its still available in the states while the 7620 isn't. As far as quality goes, we've been through the features and have come to the conclusion that they make up for the price difference in the two guitars.

Also, the point you're trying to make would be better understood if it were communicated more effectively.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 05:00 PM

Re: hey

Quote:
The Uv is better Ibanez cant just make a guitar more expensive then the other one it has to be some change if is not would be stupid ok and the pickups are different ok
Why not? Swing by that thread in the JEM forum and read about the JEM Jr 333. Let's see... crappy quasi-jem or a good quality RG-570 for a bit less? The big difference here is that the UV is a Vai signature model, while the RG is not. And they were going DAMN cheap for a while on clearance, but they list for $1300. Would ibanez add about a $800 list price change between a good RG and a sig model? Well, if history is any indication... yes. you get a slight difference in finishing quality, but the upshot is the RG is almost as great a guitar as the UV (if you're talking about a pre- AANJ UV, then i think most players here would take the RG over the UV any day as anything other than a collectable), and you're paying significantly less. Please don't bash an amazing guitar that is very nearly as good as its more pricey bretheren simply because of the price tag, because Ibanez pricing is very arbitrary. (I'd argue the k-7 is WORSE than the 7620, yet is significantly more expensive)

-Drew
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 05:02 PM

Quote:
if is not would be stupid ok and the pickups are different ok
Yep, that's sort of my point... the difference IS stupid. i think it's drug-dealer tactics- get us all hooked on the 7620 by cutting margins, then sell us the UV after the RG is discontinued.

-Drew
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Ibanez cant just make a guitar more expensive then the other one it has to be some change if is not would be stupid ok and the pickups are different ok
They can, they did, and they are. Yeah, that middle pickup, that slab of plastic, the different hole cut for the input jack, and the colour difference really cost a lot. Anyone like to buy a name??
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 06:30 PM

also because you pay Mr.Vai for designing it
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 07:10 PM

Quote:
They can, they did, and they are. Yeah, that middle pickup, that slab of plastic, the different hole cut for the input jack, and the colour difference really cost a lot. Anyone like to buy a name??
mmm have you ever played an UV? before i did i used to think 'snob people, paying a lot for the UV when they can get same wood and hardware in a rg'. when i played one i realized the universe is a superior instrument, and you can see it in every detail and most important, feel it when you play the thing.

i won't argue the fact that you pay a lot for the name, it's true, but the uv is a lot more than a rg with SV's royalties.

Tags
aanj neck , access neck joint , air norton , body shape , coil pickup , control knobs , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , direct mounted pickups , fixed bridge , fret board , guitar players , ibanez guitars , jem neck , john petrucci , maple neck , mounted pickups , neck binding , neck finish , neck joint , neck shape , prestige necks , pro edge , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , scratch plate , signature guitar , steve vai , tone zone , volume pots , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

where can i buy ibanez rg7620
RG7620 a bad guitar?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode