Value on a G&L invader - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Value on a G&L invader

Hey guy's.... I happened across a 2003 invader in nearly immaculate condition. The seller is asking $999 with free shipping. I talked to him for about 1/2 an hour about the guitar, but couldn't tell me much about the things I really wanted to know.

My main concerns are about the quality and brand/type of bridge. I'm also helping someone can tell me about the neck (radius, thickness, shape...etc) and the G&L blade single space pickups....... I would appreciate anything else you think of.......

Here are some pics:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Re: Value on a G&L invader

Dammit... thought I was in Other guitars....I'll ask to get it moved.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Thread moved
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Thread moved

Thanks Jono!! You Rock!!!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 07:40 PM

Reviews: 11

From what I've heard, the G&L bridge is solid, and I don't know about the pickups, but they look neat. To me, that top and the Birdseye maple make it worth the price.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 08:31 PM

G&L build quality is top notch. I own a S-500. The Plek their guitars also. Get it and you will love it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:06 PM

The bridge is G&Ls own saddle lock bridge, the six saddles are "locked" together by the locking set screw on the side. The whole unit is recessed into the body and contributes greatly to extra sustain. It is also used on the G&L ASAT Special and hardtail versions of the Legacy and S500.

http://www.glguitars.com/features/SL-bridge.asp

The pickups are a Duncan JB in the bridge and Gotoh Power Blade humbuckers in single coil size in the neck and middle. Mini switch is a coil tap for the humbucker. Neck is 12" radius, 1 11/16" wide at the nut. The actual neck profile for a 2003 model may be slimmer than more recent G&L guitars, best to ask the seller for a comparison with other guitars he's played. Mine is not very slim, and not very thick, it's in between and comfortable to play. The tuners are G&L branded Schallers.

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments...ader/index.asp

I got my own lefty Invader Plus, HSH configuration, last year for about $850 or so. It's also a 2003 model, custom ordered by it's original owner. The body is mahogany with a maple cap, same as the one you are looking at.

btw G&L don't make this in lefty ....

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:34 PM

G&L are top quality guitars.

Just in case you don't know, they're the Company Fender (That's the L) started after leaving Fender. They're fantastic guitars, but I can't tell you neck specs or anything like that.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawGuy View Post
The bridge is G&Ls own saddle lock bridge, the six saddles are "locked" together by the locking set screw on the side. The whole unit is recessed into the body and contributes greatly to extra sustain. It is also used on the G&L ASAT Special and hardtail versions of the Legacy and S500.

http://www.glguitars.com/features/SL-bridge.asp

The pickups are a Duncan JB in the bridge and Gotoh Power Blade humbuckers in single coil size in the neck and middle. Mini switch is a coil tap for the humbucker. Neck is 12" radius, 1 11/16" wide at the nut. The actual neck profile for a 2003 model may be slimmer than more recent G&L guitars, best to ask the seller for a comparison with other guitars he's played. Mine is not very slim, and not very thick, it's in between and comfortable to play. The tuners are G&L branded Schallers.

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments...ader/index.asp

I got my own lefty Invader Plus, HSH configuration, last year for about $850 or so. It's also a 2003 model, custom ordered by it's original owner. The body is mahogany with a maple cap, same as the one you are looking at.

btw G&L don't make this in lefty ....
Wow... thank you so much for the help guys!!! Especially you Southpaw!!!

I think if this one were emerald green like yous, I wouldn't even hesitate to buy it. Seeing that the one I'm looking at is $150 more than yours Southpaw, do you think that the birds-eye neck and fretboard make up for the difference in price........ I'm not a big birds-eye fan, but I do know that it often carries a premium.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeHappy View Post
G&L are top quality guitars.

Just in case you don't know, they're the Company Fender (That's the L) started after leaving Fender. They're fantastic guitars, but I can't tell you neck specs or anything like that.
The funny thing is.... in '96 or '97 I picked up a G&L bass (L-2000) dirt cheap from a local store. I though it was a cheap fender knock-off. It was only $125, so I bought it thinking I could use it for recording or something like that........ I ended up giving it away never knowing what it was......lol
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 04:21 AM

I have an alder bodied HH spec one. I wanted a fixed bridged strat style guitar and didn't like anything Fender had to offer. The neck on mine is quite thick, which I prefer for the sort of playing I bought the guitar for.

Superb guitars, and that bridge, as mentioned before, is brilliant.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Ok, this thread is giving me GAS!!!

More G+L invader pics please
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 04:55 AM

OK, some pics:

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Wow... thank you so much for the help guys!!! Especially you Southpaw!!!

I think if this one were emerald green like yous, I wouldn't even hesitate to buy it. Seeing that the one I'm looking at is $150 more than yours Southpaw, do you think that the birds-eye neck and fretboard make up for the difference in price........ I'm not a big birds-eye fan, but I do know that it often carries a premium.
Mine also has a birds eye neck, it just doesn't show in the pics due to the light / camera angle. Used prices on these tend to be way over $1000, but they do come up for sale for less every now and then, so I'd say the one you are looking at is a decent price. One thing about the Gotoh pickups, they don't really sound like a typical strat, they're warmer with less treble and quite a bit more output, so if you're looking for predominantly strat tones an Invader might not be your thing.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:52 AM

Did someone say birdseye maple. Mine with gun oil tint.

Tags
g&l , invader

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode