Value? Modded yamaha - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Value? Modded yamaha

Hey folks,
I'm dying for a guitar with a floyd after seeing G3 (amazing, inspiring) and I was wondering how much anyone thinks I would get for my guitar.
It's a yamaha RG copy with a strat trem, 22 frets and PAF Pro neck + bridge pickups with a hole in the middle for a single coil. The body has a few nicks in it and is definitely in player condition. What do you reckon its worth? Could I trade it for a beat up 550 or similar?
Thanks!
Joe C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 02:17 PM
RCB

The Yamahas worth checking as an affordable flouyd rose equiped guitar are the RGZ621,612 and above. The Pacifica 1412 is an amazing guitar, but the only one I ve seen for sale on line (wich has already been sold) aws tagged at a whooping USD1450 (it is an amazing guitar, and its well worth that money). If you are lucky, you could find one in a pawnshop or may be in an acution site very cheap (if the seller dont know what is worth). Another good Yamaha is the one Blues Saraceno used (i think its an RGZ812) wich came with Seymour Duncans.

The only Yamahas I would take over an RGxx or RG7xx are the 1412, 1421 and the one Blues Saraceno used (and also the Yamaha custom shop guitars).
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Sorry to say it but used Yamahas have terrible resale value

Itsound like you've got an old RGX or RGZ type guitar and if it has a strat bridge, I'd guess not a high end one. WIthout a model nmber or pics I'd think at a maximum, you're looking at about 200 or much less if you trade it in.

So the answer is no, I don't think you'd get a trade for an RG550, at least not one in working order.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Oh well, I'll probably just save for a separate 550 anyway now. Then I get 2 guitars

Thanks for the help

Joe C
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 11:45 AM

The upshot of this is, there are lots of good deals on midline yamahas. I have several Pacifica 921s, and they rock. But they're a little more "stratty" in vibe. A midline RGX would be a good guitar, and cost less than a 550.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 01:50 PM

I've had a RGX321p for about 12 years now. It is knackered but I'm sentimentally attached to it for some reason. It was a great guitar but the trem was awfully weak. I broke 2 before replacing it with a low pro. Still use it now and again for weird tunings.

Heavier than a 550, and it has a slightly thicker neck. If it wasn't for the trem I'd have probably bought another one when it was semi retired.

Tags
blues saraceno , bridge pickup , bridge pickups , custom shop , custom shop guitar , paf pro , paf pro neck , pro neck , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , strat bridge , strat trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode