Value on a Starfield Cabriolet prototype? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Value on a Starfield Cabriolet prototype?

Hi! I have a Starfield Cabriolet that was made 1991 in the Ibanez customshop by Mike Lipe. It was made as an prototype so there is only one of a kind.
The neck is a little to thin for me so im planning to sell it. What could it be worth?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (26.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (27.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (42.7 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 02:54 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: Value on a Starfield Cabriolet prototype?

How and when did you get that?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

You need to talk to member "Peavey_impact"

He has a very similar guitar, a 1991 LACS guitar but made by Mace Bailey and not Mike Lipe.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGrendel View Post
How and when did you get that?
I googled for cabriolets and found a blog about guitars. The guy had 3 cabriolets and he sold two of them to me aproxmitley 2 months ago. He bought this one from a NAMM show in the early 90s. He live in LA.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
You need to talk to member "Peavey_impact"

He has a very similar guitar, a 1991 LACS guitar but made by Mace Bailey and not Mike Lipe.
Thanks!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 05:13 PM

Smile Re: Value on a Starfield Cabriolet prototype?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLars View Post
Hi! I have a Starfield Cabriolet that was made 1991 in the Ibanez customshop by Mike Lipe. It was made as an prototype so there is only one of a kind.
The neck is a little to thin for me so im planning to sell it. What could it be worth?
Hey man, your guitar looks almost just like mine except it has reversed colors and your fretboard appears to be rosewood while mine is ebony. Mine was built by Mace Bailey rather than Mike Lipe. Mine does not have the "proto" designation on the back of the headstock like yours does, and yours appears to have a retainer bar which is unusual.

Can you possibly post another pic of the headstock front close-up?

I paid about $1300 for mine - but a Starfield Cabriolet has always been one of my "must-have" guitars. I suspect it would be a hard sell to anyone but a die-hard collector, because while these guitars are quite rare they were never really popular. It's also a shame that the majority of the "LA Custom Shop Mike Lipe" decal on the back of your headstock is mostly worn off. Was the back of the neck sanded down or something?

Anyways, that's a beautiful guitar and I'm quite jealous If it was a 2 humbucker model I would buy it from you!

I think you should hang on to it personally. If you want it for a player have a neck made for it that is more comfortable for you. I believe the scale length of these guitars is 25" even.

Here is a pic of mine:

Tags
cabriolet , mike lipe. prototype , starfield

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode