Value of a vintage Jackson RR1? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Value of a vintage Jackson RR1?

Hi everyone, i need some expert help about this: a mate in another forum is offering me an 84 Jackson RR1 as a partial trade for my Jem GMC. I know nothing about old Jacksons and their prices.

Conditon of the RR is: frets almost perfect, pickups and electronics changed, and some serious paint damage in the corners. Also some paint chips here and there and other signs of wear. Deffinitely not a case queen.

How much would be the value for it?

Last edited by El Nowy; 05-15-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 03:50 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: Value of a vintage Jackson RR1?

84 is pretty early...definitely a san dimas...depending on condition and appointments (floyd rose versus kahler vs string thru, dots versus sharkfins and binding) anywhere from 1200-2000...another contributing factor would be the color as there are a lot of white black and red ones...and those particular colors don't bring as much as the rarer colors...sorry i cant be more specific but i'd have to know more...d.m.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Is a string-thru model, with sharktooth inlays and blue finish
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 04:37 PM

closer to 2000 as it's a custom in a fairly rare finish...d.m.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

wow, even in that beaten up condition?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 05:14 PM

there weren't that many made in 1984 as jackson was still a moderately small custom shop...so it's not like there are that many around anymore...if you want more info i would suggest visiting the jackson charvel forum jcfonline.com as there are people there who can tell you more...but beware they can be kind of rude to new people who just come in and ask the value of things...oh and one last thing...check the serial number against a chart to make sure it is what he says it is...all that being said...the market is fairly soft right now...and a gmc jem is a really nice piece...you sure you want to trade??...d.m.

RR0295-RR0996-1984

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/suppor...al-numbers.php
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

OK, thank you very much for your help!

The reason of the trade is because i'm a huge fan of Randy Rhoads, and an early RR is a big temptation, enough to sell one of the rarest pieces in my collection :-)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 06:38 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-Rand...item2ec6af3a8d

theres a mint 1983...you can see the price...and the early san dimas jacksons are wonderful guitars...i used to be on the jackson artist roster...d.m.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 03:30 AM

That's a selling price. No one has bought it yet.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

But that's a mint one and the evil bay listings are not very reliable. I've seen USRG's for $3600 that finally sold for about $1400 or just never sold.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 06:52 PM

you asked for help and i gave it...being i am a longtime member of the jcf and have had business relations with jackson guitars i don't feel the need to argue...do what you want...good luck...d.m.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 07:47 PM

Reviews: 1

My brother has an early '84 San Dimas RR1. Original EMGs (81 and splittable 89) and Kahler trem. Pretty beat up but it is very comfortable to play. There in no way I would trade a JEM GMC for it. I've seen them sell for $1000-$2000 dollars here. GMCs will bring $2000 and up. While both rare I think the GMC would be the one to keep.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablomozart View Post
you asked for help and i gave it...being i am a longtime member of the jcf and have had business relations with jackson guitars i don't feel the need to argue...do what you want...good luck...d.m.
And of course I'm grateful for any kind of help. I was just pointing that sometimes the listings with buy it now prices are not reliable, and the guitars sells for less money.

Anyway the owner of the RR1 wants almost a "guitar for guitar" trade, with a minimal money difference so I'll better keep the GMC.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 07:25 PM

the truth about the rhoads models is the earlier ones have necks more like a les paul...if you want one to play i'd recommend one from the ontario era (86-96) as they have much slimmer necks...and don't command as high a price...and i wouldnt trade a gmc jem for one either...save up and find a used ontario player for much cheaper and you'll be happier in the long run when you bump the long point against something (it happens to all of them except the ones people dont play)...even the mid 90's professional neck thrus made in japan are very nice instruments (has to say professional on the headstock after the jackson logo)...the san dimas mystique is strictly because there were limited numbers of them...they are not necessarily better guitars...d.m.

Tags
jackson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode