Versatile fixed bridge Ibanez? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Versatile fixed bridge Ibanez?

If the AZ models had a fixed bridge version, I would buy one immediately, but unfortunately they don't. I'd like to find out what my other options are. I'd want something that gets both single coil tones and humbucker. Fixed bridge. I really like the AZ power tap sounds where it is split coil but you don't lose output. Is that exclusive to the AZ line?

What other options do I have? I prefer maple fretboards if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:31 PM

Re: Versatile fixed bridge Ibanez?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWMusic View Post
If the AZ models had a fixed bridge version, I would buy one immediately, but unfortunately they don't. I'd like to find out what my other options are. I'd want something that gets both single coil tones and humbucker. Fixed bridge. I really like the AZ power tap sounds where it is split coil but you don't lose output. Is that exclusive to the AZ line?

As far as i know the switching/wiring is exclusive to the az line, but that doesn't mean you couldn't get something cheaper and wire it up yourself/have it wired that way. I found the diagram for the 9, but not for the 10 (two humbucker version) .

There are some cool maple fretboard fixed bridge models in the iron label line. Most don't have single coils though. You could always rewire to fit what you are looking for.

most of the maple fretboard hss ibanez stuff comes with at least a vintage style trem. what your are looking for is a bit of a hard combo.

if you don't mind me asking, why no vintage style one way tremelos ? you can set them up so they don't dump and are basically a fixed bridge.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 01:28 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Does the "Tremel-no" work on the types of bridge on the AZ line?

"Back in the day" folks used to block the trem for less whammy action and go from there. Of course, back in "my" day, we used to rout huge chunks of wood from under the trem and fit a Floyd for even MORE whammy action!!!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:13 AM

Reviews: 21

The AZ tremolo is amazing for a floating non-locking bridge. I usually play fixed bridge guitars and the Gotoh trem feels pretty much like a fixed bridge if I'm ignoring the bar.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 10:05 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWMusic View Post

Look past Ibanez if you haven't already. The Prestige AZs cost more than Suhrs which come fixed & maple & fully customizable. I regularly see some used minty Suhrs at the price of Premium AZs. Anderson, Gibson (not maple), Fender, etc. You can rewire a fixed-bridge to your liking not being stuck with Ibanez' over complicated AZ wiring & meh pickup choice. Sure you can block the bridge but that's unfortunately not a real hardtail. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode