Very first J-Custom question - About the RG-METAL - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
Very first J-Custom question - About the RG-METAL

Ok-here's the question. *I love the RG-METAL-very very cool. *How rare are they? *(Hopefully not as rare as the EGYPT). *And how much should one expect to pay if I find it? *
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 01:17 PM

Very first J-Custom question

Better question is "Can they still be ordered?"

J>
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 08:21 PM

The RG-METAL's aren't as rare as the EGYPT's are. *The METAL's were released worldwide in 1997. *I don't have any official numbers, but I'd guess there are less than 20 on Earth. *"12" seems to be the favorite number over at Hoshino. :-)
It is NOT, repeat- not, the same finish as the JEM90th's. *It's a completely different pattern, texture and color.
J-Custom prices vary widely; I've seen S-3040-PL's go for $800, and guys (specifically me) willing to offer kidneys (plural) for the RG-EGYPT. *I'd say expect to pay around $2,000 for a mint RG-METAL (I try to dig up the 1997 MSRP on it). *

None of the original J-Customs that came to the US can be ordered. *That train has sailed. *There are a few floating around overseas, including some models that we didn't get here in the US (like the RG-ARCH, RG-PAINTand the S-540-Japan). *One day, I'll tell you folks the crazy story behind the S-540-Japan finish. *Absolutely nutty. *:-)
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 08:54 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

I received several emails from RGMETAL buyers overseas who saw the guitars locally and were curious to the value, quality, etc. I always told them to grab them because they're cool and rare. I think Hoshino overstates the rarity of their guitars, because if 12 or 24 were made why would one be hanging in a small shop in Turkey or France? *Either way they're pretty uncommon, especially in the USA. Very JEMish specs:

Produced June 1997
bridge: DIMARZIO DP193 AIR NORTON
middle: DIMARZIO ISC70 BLUE VELVET
neck: DIMARZIO DP155 TONE ZONE
fretwire: SBB216-195

I'd look for the best price. Given used JEM90s can be found for $1500ish paying more than $2k for the RGMETAL1 would be wasting $$$ IMHO at this time. Good luck... glen
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 09:31 AM

There is still a RG-Metal new available in Germany, I think its around $1500-1600.
http://www.musik-produktiv.de/shop/s...P2D0899S5D39M6
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2000, 08:56 AM

It appears the RG-Metal is gone from that store. They do have the 7 string baritone models though, and a CST. Anyone confused when you get to that page, click on "On-line shop", then click on "E. Gitarre", then find Ibanez under the E. Gitarre" list.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 07:04 AM

Greetings from Portugal.

A store here in Portugal had a RG-METAL1 for about a 4 months or so... and i can tell you, it's an AWESOME FABULOUS MOST BEAUTIFUL guitar i've ever seen. The most curious thing, is that the store doesn't usually have Ibanez guitar, they usually have cheapo Arias and stuff like that. And it had the RG-METAL1 with the J-Custom case! That metal crattered finish drives me nuts, a truly unique guitar. I've never seen in person the Jem 90HAM, but the RG-METAL1 is BEAUTIFUL.

I almost cry when i think of it. I touched that guitar, i played it and it was almost mine. I was so stupid i can't believe it. I had the money to buy it and i spent too much time wondering if i liked the RG-METAL1 better than the Jem 7VWH. I couldn't decide between these two. I asked Glen several times about it, the quality, value, etc, but the doubt between the Jem and the RG was always present. The day i decided i wanted the RG-METAL, it was already sold. I mouth felt on the floor when the guy from the store told me that it was already sold....

I know, it was stupid. And if it was today i would buy it in a heartbeat. Anyway, it listed something like $2100 / $2200 (the same price as a new Jem 7VWH here in Portugal).

I wish i could find another RG-METAL1....

Cheers,
Armindo

Tags
air norton , beautiful guitar , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode