very strange issue - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

very strange issue

a while back i posted a thread in the tech section asking for help on an issue on my RG2550Z. certain frets would just sustain for half as long and turn into pinch harmonics whenever you played them.

i took the whole frieking guitar apart (literally 80% of the parts on the guitar were taken off/examined) and even tried talking to an ibanez rep. the guys at the store i bought it at had no clue either.

took it to a luthier today, really smart guy who's studied all sorts of things from sound, to woodworking and everything in between. he came to the conclusion that it was just the pieces of wood the guitar was made of and how the frequency of the trouble notes interacted with the resonance of the wood and how they phased each other out.

so, long story short, there's a very good chance i'll get to hand the guitar in back to the shop i got it from (contacts make the difference in this industry...).

not sure weather i'll get most of the money back or weather it would be a direct swap. it could be...i might even look at a different guitar. i've decided in the long run, an EP would probably better than an EZ despite my love for the EZ. and just to make sure the problem is not trem related.

i can't express how satisfying it is though to have found out it's not just me nitpicking. i can now sleep again.

so anyway, that's my story. i wonder if anyone else has seen this problem before? apparently 99% of players wouldn't even hear the problem, but the thing is, now that i hear it, i can't get rid of it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 05:34 PM

Re: very strange issue

yeah man i know exactly what you mean i get it on RG1527 but i doesn't bother me enough to warrent a new axe lol
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebake View Post

. . . i wonder if anyone else has seen this problem before? apparently 99% of players wouldn't even hear the problem, but the thing is, now that i hear it, i can't get rid of it!

I have never heard of it, but it makes sense. Wood is a natural and therefore variable material.

Every chance you all get, play a guitar before you buy it. Even the exact same model will vary from instrument to instrument.

Glad you found it and now have peace. I am also learning to trust my own ears. If it sounds good, it probably is good, and vice versa.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 06:12 PM

Reviews: 120

I'm guessing you bought that from Better Music? They are god guys there, and should be able to do something to help you out (especially if it's under warranty still). Which luthier looked at it for you? I've been curious about luthiers in Canberra for a little while.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 07:20 PM

Reviews: 1

Does it do it unplugged ?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
I'm guessing you bought that from Better Music? They are god guys there, and should be able to do something to help you out (especially if it's under warranty still). Which luthier looked at it for you? I've been curious about luthiers in Canberra for a little while.
pro audio, actually and rusty vance. and yes, it does it acoustically which leads me to believe the wood story as well.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 12:31 AM

Haha my Schecter C-1 Elite that's a string through does this on the 7th fret and I love it, I was just like wow its like having a sustainer, cause the notes hold for-freaking ever! My Jem7v also does this a tiny bit on the b string at the 7th fret so I just figured it had to do with intonation and that being a natural harmonic point but I have no clue really, just a guess.

Sadly the Schecter only gets played when the Jem has a broken string sooooo XD

But thats cool you are getting things worked out and gettin a new guitar cause thats always a fun thing
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter8451 View Post
Haha my Schecter C-1 Elite that's a string through does this on the 7th fret and I love it, I was just like wow its like having a sustainer, cause the notes hold for-freaking ever! My Jem7v also does this a tiny bit on the b string at the 7th fret so I just figured it had to do with intonation and that being a natural harmonic point but I have no clue really, just a guess.
yeah, when you bend up to the troubled frets on my guitar, the notes just last for like half a second, it's pretty ridiculous.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

just got off the phone with the manager of the music store and i can get a direct replacement for the guitar! i keep my case and i just get to swap it. pretty damn nice deal if you ask me.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 01:13 AM

Play it first to make sure its not the same!!!

Haha just in the very small chance it does the same thing.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

yeah, i'm gonna spend 7 hours on each fret.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 04:37 PM

Reviews: 120

Good stuff, glad you are getting a replacement. I've never found Pro Audio as good as Better Music (even though Better Music own them now), but at least they are looking after you.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 05:16 PM

They are sure it's not just fretting out, something a good level would fix?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
They are sure it's not just fretting out, something a good level would fix?
nope, definitely not fretting out, checked that a lot.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post

Every chance you all get, play a guitar before you buy it. Even the exact same model will vary from instrument to instrument.

Absolutely positively correct. I recently bought and acoustic for a friend for Christmas. We took several out of the boxes before I settled on one that sounded best. Its the same with acoustic and electric. Play them all, and buy the one that plays and sounds best, even if it's the wrong color!!

Tags
edge , frequency , luthier , resonate , wood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode