Very weird PRO540R - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

3Likes
  • 3 Post By sepulchrave

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Very weird PRO540R

Hello fellow Ibaneezers,

NGD!

I just picked up really unusual Pro Radius, it looks like a 1987 model but has no sticker on the headstock.

It has the three mini toggles, the beehive knobs with push/push tone pot and the IBZ/USA pickups but a chrome edge with backstop and the body weighs an absolute TON!

The ebony board has the small pearl dots but it's a 5-piece maple/mahogany oiled ultra neck and says so on the heel. It has the tilt joint and chrome Ibanez Made in Japan neck plate.

Here's the really weird part, it has no locknut and has never had one, it's a graphite nut with staggered chrome Sperzel trimlock tuners, I whipped one off and the tuner footprint clearly shows that they've never been disturbed before, the fretwork shows little signs of use and the trussrod cover is also different, it's longer so it butts up to the graphite nut (almost) properly.

It came in an old gigbag from Chandlers Guitars in London so I'm guessing Charlie had his hands on it.

It looks like a custom spec. all Fujigen guitar in atlantic blue rather than blue burst, did Ibanez do this back in the 80's, I know a lot of artists got their guitars looked after by Charlie, could this be an artists special order? Frankly it's almost too heavy for mere mortals to gig with.

It's close to mint condition aside from the dirt so this evenings project is to clean it, restring it and spank it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heel.jpg (71.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Pocket.jpg (54.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Fretboard.jpg (58.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Neckback.jpg (87.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Bodyface.jpg (64.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Cavitys.jpg (125.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Gigbag.jpg (50.8 KB, 23 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Re: Very weird PRO540R

I forgot to mention, it has no scarf joint, I've never seen an Ibanez from this era without one.

I cleaned it up, restrung it and she rings like a bell, all that mass and quality sound terrific. I hated the backstop so I've whipped that off and I made a new cover plate for the trem cavity that fits properly and isn't damaged.

So everyone is similarly stumped and I've bought a unicorn?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I have no idea, that one stumps me. I’m reluctant to say whether it’s a factory neck, or a one off, it it’s certainly not like any of its contemporaries that I’ve seen!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Also, why is it SO heavy, I mean the body feels like it's made of solid Maple or some really dense timber, is it the sheer quantity of Epoxy filler needed to get it looking like a boiled sweet?

I managed to source some fresh Sperzel bushes and washers in Chrome after trying to clean the old ones in vinegar turned them matt black! Must've been Zinc plated originally.

I do love the way it plays and sounds though so it's deffo a keeper.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

So I finally got the new chrome sperzel bushes and washers and fitted a 3" wide clip-lok strap because it has its own gravity well.

Squirted some snot into the nut slots (I use Carmex lip balm) and that original Edge stays in perfect tune, incidentally the guitar came with a Cosmo trem arm but I rooted around and came up with a chrome arm from an old Jackson JT-6 trem off an old Charvel, perfect fit and also from 1987, coincidence, or did Gotoh supply Chushin as well as Fujigen?

She looks and plays like new, VERY Stratty and bright with the coil split.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/attach...achmentid=8985
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pro540R.jpg (605.9 KB, 27 views)
jemsite, chrose1201 and FireEagle like this.

Tags
540r , backstop , pro , radius , sperzel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode