VG Stratocaster - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Re: VG Stratocaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
It's a cool idea, but I wouldn't go saying that Fender has taken a big step. Roland-Ready Strats have been out for a long time and so has the Roland VG system and, of course, the Variax (which this is basically Fender and Roland's take on) has been around, too.

In my opinion, this is actually a step back because unlike the Roland-Ready Strat, the VG Strat uses the same Roland pickup but provides no 13-pin out. Yeah, sure, there's an onboard VG system, but I'd much rather lug around a VG-88 (with way more features than what's onboard the VG Strat) and get an RR Strat, which is actually cheaper total.
I can't agree. This is a plug & play system with no extraneous requirements at all. Unlike the Variax it sounds like a real guitar - there's something sterile about the Variax - and it doesn't matter a damn if you forget the cable. If you are not too good at remembering things, as I am, this is a boon.

The colours do suck though. I've never liked sunbursts (heresy!!), but the balck & maple looks pretty good. Red or blue would look better.

Edit: the B-bender is back on a couple of Tele models. A nice curiosity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 10:18 AM

I agree about the simple "plug and play" of the VG but just imagine what kind of a monster it would have been to add a simple 13 pin jack....... I think they would have more than doubled the customer interest in the VG.

I would be interested to know if it is possible to add a 13 pin jack after market on the VG or possibly a blend knob between the onboard sounds and the sounds thru an outside source?
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
I agree about the simple "plug and play" of the VG but just imagine what kind of a monster it would have been to add a simple 13 pin jack....... I think they would have more than doubled the customer interest in the VG.

I would be interested to know if it is possible to add a 13 pin jack after market on the VG or possibly a blend knob between the onboard sounds and the sounds thru an outside source?
Perhaps as another option, they could have the 13-pin jack, but from what I understand, the market that they were trying to target is the gigging guitarist who is after a wide range of different sound options coming from one, single, well-made Fender guitar. To that extent, I think they hit the mark. It's a really neat guitar.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 04:18 PM

Here's a pic of mine:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mollerla...76868922082786

I have to say that, other than the price, I'm really happy with it. Aside from the advanced electronics, it is, first of all, a VERY nice Strat. It plays extremely well, with a nice low action and resonates well.

As for negatives, the back is solid black instead of having a burst. I assume Fender did this in an effort to camouflage the plethora of (black) cavity covers on the back. That might also explain why the only other color available is black. It also did not include strap locks, which seemed kinda cheap to me, for the price. And locking tuners would've been nice, though to be honest, it stays in tune REALLY well even without them, and with a decent amount of trem use.

The modeled sounds, while good, do not sound as good as the real thing to me, where I have the real thing to compare it to - i.e., the modeled humbucker doesn't sound as good as my Ibanezes or Jacksons with actual humbuckers, the modeled Strat doesn't sound as good as the VG's actual Strat pickups, which in turn, don't sound as good as the S1 pickups on my other Strat (that guitar is also Ash, which might have something to do with it), and the acoustic sounds don't sound like my actual acoustic guitars - more like a really nice electro-acoustic sound. I don't have a Tele to compare this to. But there are no "bad" modeled sounds in this guitar. Everything is pleasing to listen to.

The alternate tunings are really fun and have encouraged me to play things I otherwise wouldn't bother with, which is a bonus.

I understand the previous poster's suggestion that a 13-pin out would expand the market; however, as someone who has never had an interest in synths (still don't), I understand what Fender was trying to do with this instrument, and I think they've accomplished a great mix of power and simplicity. I love to just grab this guitar and a regular 1/4" cord and plug it into my little G-DEC late at night and have fun jamming to wildly different presets with wildly different guitar sounds.

Overall, it's, first, a really nice, high-quality, USA Strat. Second, it has lots of unique options, due to the advanced electronics. This is a very nice instrument, and it's a blast to play. I love it.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

What quik said.

I got hold of one yesterday and took it home with me. I now sing soprano, but it was worth it.

I haven't spent nearly enough time with it to really explore what it can do, but in all honesty there seems to be enough for anyone to gig with. Anything else falls under the curiosity category and probably won't be of any real use.

Money well spent (and considering how much of the landed cost in SA is shipping, that's a helluva lot). Now to convince the missus of that.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 10:27 AM

Congrats gang on your VG's. The store I teach out of is selling them fast enough that they keep 2-3 in stock.

IMHO the biggest things to come out after winter NAMM (at least in excitement factor or a semi-historical way) in no particular order are:

1) VG Strat

2) Jem20th

3) RG20th

4) Relic EVH

Those are all I can think of at the moment (at least until after my coffee kicks in ).
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 11:46 AM

Reviews: 18

Quik, you should get a photobucket acct. man. I tried to put the pic here for people to see but piccassa doesn't let you put the image tag on it......

Jimmy
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 01:24 PM

funny that alot of people bashed the line6 variax for modeling yet when fender brings one out its excellent, very versatile, a pleasure to play, great sounding, how did I live with out it..

LMAO

I played one and I will take a Variax over that fender anyday 5x the models, ability to do custom things, your own tunings, etc.. and half the price.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector View Post
funny that alot of people bashed the line6 variax for modeling yet when fender brings one out its excellent, very versatile, a pleasure to play, great sounding, how did I live with out it..

LMAO

I played one and I will take a Variax over that fender anyday 5x the models, ability to do custom things, your own tunings, etc.. and half the price.
+1000

Tags
acoustic guitar , alternate tuning , alternate tunings , candy apple red , cavity cover , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , floyd rose , locking tuners , maple fret , maple fretboard , mexican strat , rosewood board , scratch plate , strap lock , strap locks , strat pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode