VG Stratocaster - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

VG Stratocaster

I was at Greg Koch's masterclass last night - not due to ability, I hasten to add, but because I consistently cover the payments on the store owner's Mercedes - where he was playing the new VG Strat. With a skill set like his, you could make any axe sound fantastic, but this instrument is something special. The settings include models of a Tele, dual HB, acoustic 6 & 12 string, plus alternate tunings drop-D, open G, baritone, DADGAD and various permutations. 37 models in total and all of them varying between good and excellent.

I've never been a Fender fan, preferring to go the superstrat route, but this instrument has gone a long way towards converting me. It's interesting that both Gibson and Fender have come up with extreme technological advances within a couple of months of each other after years of criticism for being staid/dull/boring/(insert derogatory comment here), both going very different routes and both springing these out of the blue. For my money (and apologies to Gibson, whom I've always preferred: personal taste only, no objctive reason), the VG is the better option.

Other manufacturers are going to have to get the lead out. Ibanez, are you listening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 03:31 AM

Re: VG Stratocaster

There's a demo of the VG on the DVD with this month's UK Guitarist magazine. It looks a pretty impressive machine.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 07:05 AM

I'm tempted to sell most of my guitars and get one myself. It seems to have everything I could want really. Though I wish it came in more colours like Candy Apple Red or Black. Would look swish
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 07:48 AM

Reviews: 18

The only problem I see with this strat is the price tag. Don't get me wrong guys, I'm a strat guy as well but, for $1500 I would expect a nicer build with more colors.

Jimmy
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 07:51 AM

$1500,thats pretty cheap,I think its 1500 here.Ive watched the VG demo dvd,and it looks pretty good,I love my strat probably more than my jem so would definately consider one
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 08:35 AM

$1500 would've been nice. I just paid $1700 for one. I do really like it, though.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maliciousteve View Post
I'm tempted to sell most of my guitars and get one myself. It seems to have everything I could want really. Though I wish it came in more colours like Candy Apple Red or Black. Would look swish
I have one. They are great and they come in black. With maple or rosewood board.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 08:59 AM

Smile Re: VG Stratocaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by quik View Post
$1500 would've been nice. I just paid $1700 for one. I do really like it, though.
Where did you buy it from? Sweetwater has it for that much. If it was less than 30 days, I'd go back to the store and get some money back.

Jimmy
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 09:04 AM

I love the look of the VG strat. I've been meaning to get a strat for ages so ive pretty much got my mind set on one of these.

A nice 3 tone sunburst with maple fretboard .
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Where did you buy it from? Sweetwater has it for that much. If it was less than 30 days, I'd go back to the store and get some money back.

Jimmy
Prices at SW are in the $1700's
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 09:21 AM

Weird, the catalog I have in my office @ home (my bathroom), has it for that price, or so I thought. My apologies for the misinformation.

Jimmy
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 09:38 AM

It's a cool idea, but I wouldn't go saying that Fender has taken a big step. Roland-Ready Strats have been out for a long time and so has the Roland VG system and, of course, the Variax (which this is basically Fender and Roland's take on) has been around, too.

In my opinion, this is actually a step back because unlike the Roland-Ready Strat, the VG Strat uses the same Roland pickup but provides no 13-pin out. Yeah, sure, there's an onboard VG system, but I'd much rather lug around a VG-88 (with way more features than what's onboard the VG Strat) and get an RR Strat, which is actually cheaper total.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
It's a cool idea, but I wouldn't go saying that Fender has taken a big step. Roland-Ready Strats have been out for a long time and so has the Roland VG system and, of course, the Variax (which this is basically Fender and Roland's take on) has been around, too.

In my opinion, this is actually a step back because unlike the Roland-Ready Strat, the VG Strat uses the same Roland pickup but provides no 13-pin out. Yeah, sure, there's an onboard VG system, but I'd much rather lug around a VG-88 (with way more features than what's onboard the VG Strat) and get an RR Strat, which is actually cheaper total.
Same thoughts I had about it: no 13 pin out. WTF??

I played on one very thoroughly at my local shop and as nice as all the settings are, they really missed the boat on this one by not having a 13 pin out.

It has the midi pup already wired in so what would've been the big deal about adding the midi out jack?

No offense to anyone that bought one, but even as much stuff as they packed into this guitar, they only unleash WAAAAAY less than half of what it COULD have done when connected to a VG or GR system.

Sure you don't have to carry extra gear around and have extra cables running off the guitar and the simplicity of having the knobs on the guitar is nice but why only see an idea half way thru? I think for the price they could easily have wired the 13 pin out on it and they would have twice the market for the guitar than they currently have enticed with these new ideas.

Like Demiurge said, for less than half the cost of the VG Strat you can buy the 13 pin RR Mexi version and get the same sounds plus TONS more. Shame on Fender.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj View Post
I have one. They are great and they come in black. With maple or rosewood board.
Dude post pics! I got strat GAS today after just playing a Modded mexican strat (floyd rose, dimarzio pickups and mirror scratch plate)
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 06:55 PM

I definitely don't want to sound like I'm trashing the VG Strat but I just think they could have really had something even more special for very little effort on their part and they missed it. Again, I think the VG Strat is one hell of a guitar but shame on Fender for missing the bulls eye on what could have been an even MORE bad a$$ axe.

Tags
acoustic guitar , alternate tuning , alternate tunings , candy apple red , cavity cover , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , floyd rose , locking tuners , maple fret , maple fretboard , mexican strat , rosewood board , scratch plate , strap lock , strap locks , strat pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode