Vintage NGD: 1984 Destroyer II - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Vintage NGD: 1984 Destroyer II

She's here

This thing is in AMAZING condition. I am amazed and how good my luck is in finding great quality, used, rare Ibanezes here in Japan. I dont know if the picture got the neck pocket crack but it's superficial and only on the finish. She plays like butter too. The neck is much thicker than your typical Ibanez neck, closer to a blazer than a later RG, but oh man is she awesome. I bought this one blind, without ANY ability to try her out before purchasing, but I am AMAZED at how happy I am with this purchase. Enough talk, time for pron!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Re: Vintage NGD: 1984 Destroyer II

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 11:49 AM

Very cool, man! Happy NGD!
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaylightDies View Post
Very cool, man! Happy NGD!
Thanks

I have been gassing for a destroyer forever, and to get a rare star shaped destroyer is just so awesome
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 12:21 PM

Reviews: 21

Wow! That does look sweet!
And that gigbag!
Enjoy!
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Wow! That does look sweet!
And that gigbag!
Enjoy!
I thought the exact same thing about the gigbag.

I made one mistake though, I shoulda got the arm with the guitar. I thought it wasn't the stock one, but it turned out it was, I need to call the shop tomorrow and get them to send it to me. I may not use it, but it makes it an incomplete Destroyer
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 01:00 PM

Definately a great score! Once you get the arm & play with the tremolo a bit I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasahatter View Post
Definately a great score! Once you get the arm & play with the tremolo a bit I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.
I will definitely give my thoughts on it. It does look really nice though. The neck is nice and beefy, and it is soooooooooooooooooooo resonant when unplugged. It also actually sustains really well unplugged as well, which is something I never paid much attention to until now. I can't wait to plug her in and hear those juicy V5 pickups
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 01:43 PM

Amazing!

All original and original gig bag! That's super rare given potential Floyd Rose replacements, pickup replacements, and a hard case replacement.

You got a great deal on that and eventually something like your all original guitar can bring a lot of money. There was a time where post-CBS Fenders were available (and considered maybe OK as second guitars) but since so many have been modified, and now today it's a case where all original post-CBS, pre-1980 Fenders bring in a premium. It only takes time but it's possible that it may bring in as much as a golden era RG.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 09-26-2015 at 02:23 PM.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 01:58 PM

WOW!

Don't see that every day.

Cool gig bag too!
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 05:44 PM

Reviews: 21

Black and gold is really classy too!
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
Amazing!

All original and original gig bag! That's super rare given potential Floyd Rose replacements, pickup replacements, and a hard case replacement.

You got a great deal on that and eventually something like your all original guitar can bring a lot of money. There was a time where post-CBS Fenders were available (and considered maybe OK as second guitars) but since so many have been modified, and now today it's a case where all original post-CBS, pre-1980 Fenders bring in a premium. It only takes time but it's possible that it may bring in as much as a golden era RG.
Yeah all original. When I called the store about it, even the shop owner said it was collectors condition. That was no joke The lack of corrosion on most of the gold parts is just insane too. I know how bad most gold parts can get with age, but this is an amazing grab. I paid a little more than my RG5000, but for the price I got it (53000 yen), it's a STEAL. If something like this popped up on fleabay, I could easily fetch a LOT more for it.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Black and gold is really classy too!
Totally agree. This totally feels like a true MIJ Ibanez, and I actually think the frets were finished better than modern prestiges

It's insanely comfortable to play too. Why can't ibanez rerelease these? They would sell really well Put some blazing high output pups (or even just TZ/AN combo) and you'd have an AWESOME MIJ guitar.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
WOW!

Don't see that every day.

Cool gig bag too!
That's exactly why I got it. Blind luck works in mysterious ways

I have my recital today so I don't know if I can get a demo of the guitar made this weekend, but I will try to get some sound clips or something done either tomorrow or next weekend. I know a lot of people have never heard these pups before so I wanna be able to show off the sounds of the guitar a bit
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

So just a little update on the feel of this baby:

The neck is so fast I'm sliding across the fingerboard with like no effort at all What sort of monstrosity did Ibanez make with this guitar It's a shredder's paradise on that neck. I'm not a fan of painted necks but this neck just feels so amazing.

It's on par on overall playability as my RG5000 and JB200, and the pickups are REALLY nice. They have punch but not overbearing like Dimarzio Evos. A lot more punch than the V1/V2s but I think that's also because the pickup height is really high. I'm gonna lower it later and try to calm them down a bit and drive them harder with effects and such.

Anyway, off to my yearly recital. Taking the JB200 today as I haven't had enough time with the Destroyer to give her a good run and set her up nicely, but I really want to use it

Tags
destroyer ii

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode