vintage trem baseplate on FRs - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

vintage trem baseplate on FRs

This may sound strange but out of a disaster i came up with something interesting and thought i must post it here. I have a black n2 which i wanted stripped because the shop didn't have a natural, After i did it myself i needed to get the floyd electroplated but when i got it back fro the factory the baseplate had also been included in the acid treatment!!! It shrunk to a cardboard thick amoebal shape.

Out of desperation i took the baseplate off my sunn mustang which i didn't use much and fixed the FR with it but it was too wide with the tremolo slot, i cut that part out and it was better. after trying different ways of screwing it on it was ok.I strung it and checked the bridge action down and it was the best available but decent. the vintage bassplate was thick at the bottom and thin on top so i set up the trem screws a little back as i like the bridge to be low behind the post with no space for upward action. The baseplate was pushed back and was staight against the wood on the cavity behind because the plate was screwed in with the string holes of the platewith the thicker part facing the tuning adjustment metal plate. The whole point its still difficult to explain but seems like a great way if you dont want to put a block in to make it only downward. Now there's a lot of tuning stability and more bottom end on it without a lot of fuss besides cutting the tremolo slot on the vintage bassplate. And you just have to push the springs back a little but i felt nothing happened to string stiffness and trem action. I always set my FR way back down to have a complete dip where strings hang out as if they almost look unstrung.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode