Violin - i wanna learn to play it - advice? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
Violin - i wanna learn to play it - advice?

Hey Jemsite!

I didn`t quite no where to post this. I know a violin only has 4 strings, and there is no bass section for me to make a span off it either way, so i came here. I assume at least someone on here plays or has had experiences with a Violin, Viola, Cello or Contrabass so i was wondering if there is any helpful advice for a young life student of music who wishes to undertake the Violin seriously?

Like for instance, is there any brand of violin i should look into that compares to Ibanez in terms of quality/price ratio?

Any books or partitions i should look for?

Any advice?

Does anyone want to show off their Violin skills with their youtube account, now`s probably your best chance of doing without looking like your begging for attention ?

Thanks for any help!|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 11:31 PM

Re: Violin - i wanna learn to play it - advice?

Ive been learning violin for over 9 years (I now play it rarely...) and can say that its one difficult instrument to learn. So my advice to you is to get a very good teacher, it does make a lot of difference.

Bookwise your teacher should recommend you what to study (you usually go through books during lessons, either studies (pieces which work on your technical ability) or actual songs (either exam pieces or others)).

I never got into the brands for violin, and stuck it out with a fairly cheap one..You can pick them up in the price range of an Ibanez. Also keep in mind the bow for the violin is also important, and in some cases ive met players using a more expensive bow then violin.

Hope some of that helps...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 11:32 AM

Definitely get a teacher! Some colleges may give free lessons through their music department (Baurch College in NYC does, I'm sure they're not the only ones), so check at your school. Guitar is pretty simple to get good at, but difficult to get great at. Violin is difficult to get good at, so you really do want that teacher and guidance. I don't see a problem actually getting a teacher first, even before getting a violin, and then relying on your teacher's insight into beginner instruments so you don't make a costly mistake buying your first violin either.

You could also check Google Groups, read up in some of the violin family related groups like "rec.music.makers.bowed-strings" or "rec.music.classical.performing" or something to see if anyone answers your questions, or raises good points you haven't thought of yet. It should be a decent time killer at any rate

jim
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 12:33 PM

My girlfriend is learning it and i give it a go from time to time, the most confusing part is that its tuned in fifths, so i have to make a very concious effort not to jump to the next string after a 3rd...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode