VM-1 Vinnie Moore model - my new fave! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

VM-1 Vinnie Moore model - my new fave!

I bought this on Evilbay as a "74 Ibanez with Sprezels" and have totally fallen in love! I don't know if it is the DiMarzio Double Whammy pickups or the Mahogany body/neck combo(or all of the above of course) but this thing has a tremendous"grunt" for lack of a better word. I have become so accustomed to the sparkle of Alder+Maple and such that the tone was quite a nice shock. The Edge on this thing is pretty cool in that it allows through the back stringing like a traditional Strat bridge as well as individual height adjustment for each string(no fine tuners of course). The Ebony 'board and flatter radius combined with Jumbo frets make for a fast and furious ride. All in all, I am really digging the whole package and am considering a swirl job. Anyone know production#'s for this model? I am gonna hook up with an image hosting service so I can post some pics of the bridge as requested, as well as some of the rest of the guitar. Yet another oddball in my Ibanez "Forest of Oddballs". Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 07:16 PM

I'm pretty sure production numbers were quite low for the VM-1. Swirling it would be a shame, in my opinion.

The "grunt" is probably mostly to do with the mahogany, especially if you're used to alder/maple. Interesting that the bridge allows loading from the bottom and height adjustment... does it still lock at the saddles? I wonder why Ibanez hasn't used it on any other models.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

There is no locking anywhere(other than at those "Sprezels" at the headstock). There are setscrews that hold each saddle in place from the top just like the Edge(fore and aft adjustment lockdown) and screws that run through the back end of the bridge into the saddles like the original edge locking screws would, only this is used for intonation adjustment. My guess is that this unit would be(was) too costly and that a more traditional setup would offer similar performance without the added complexity. It does take the standard pop-in arm also. My JS6000 is also Mahogany as is my Les Paul Deluxe, but the VM outdoes both in the "girth" department. I suppose you are right, a swirl is a terrible thing to waste, and there is the matter of the large pickguard. Maybe another "oddball" like my 542R. Z
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 11:06 PM

ok dude, being a huge VM fan, I gotta see some pics as I've never seen these guitars other than the ones in his videos!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 11:27 PM

Heh... i didn't mean the swirl would be wasted, i meant the uncommon guitar would no longer be in its stock configuration!

That's really strange that the bridge doesn't lock... are you sure it isn't just missing the locking pads? If it's got the intonation locking screws in front of the saddles, surely the screws behind the saddles must do something other than just go into the back of the saddles, no?

I was sure it was simply a locking Edge without the fine tuners... Vinnie has an original Floyd without fine tuners on his prototypes.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 09:46 AM

dang, I bet those are some sweet guitars... honduras mahog, ebony board.. wow... love the contours too...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 12:11 PM

Zoner,
your VM seller did promise me to sned me some close-ups of that Edge prototype, but then... you know, words fly...

so please,
get a good cam and send us some pics!!!! pleeeease!!!!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 12:53 AM

Here's the picture of the VM from the '89 Ibanez Catalog that Rich has posted on his site:

VM pics from Ibanez Rules
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 03:11 PM

close up of 'my' VM1SH bridge

enjoy
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the close-up, jerry! I never imagined that the Edge II did not have locking saddles. I always thought it was like the original Floyd Rose trems that locked at the bridge but had no fine tuners.

Seems strange to have threaded and sprung intonation set screws AND allen-head screws to lock the saddles down at the front.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 02:57 AM

T H A A A A N K-Y O U-J E R R R R R R Y Y Y ! ! !

FINALLY A REAL CLOSE-UP!!!! YEAH!!!!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
Seems strange to have threaded and sprung intonation set screws AND allen-head screws to lock the saddles down at the front.
i guess you could sort of call it half locking

Darrin, do you know anyone who would be able to help me rewire this bad boy?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 09:05 AM

Two humbuckers with coil splitting on the volume and tone pots should be easy enough to do. Check out guitarelectronics.com. You should be able to a wiring diagram there, or at least combine a couple of existing ones to get what you need.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 01:18 PM

wiring now sorted (the man from DiMarzio, he say yessss)

Tags
coil split , coil splitting , darren wilson , ebony board , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , ibanez catalog , jumbo frets , les paul , les paul deluxe , mahogany body , strat bridge , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode