VM1 Project - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

VM1 Project

I'm a fan of the rare VM1 Vinnie Moore signature model and own a couple of them. While i do enjoy playing them it's not the kind of guitar I would use for an every day player. I had a little time off work and a couple old beat up roadstars laying around that I've been meaning to do something with. I decided to convert the roadstars into VM1 clones.

I stripped both guitars down and routed holes for the output jack. The old roadstars had the output jack in the pickguard which i dislike, and wanted to make them like the original VM1 (which has the same output jack config as a Fender Stratocaster). I tossed the old single ply pickguards (which had a different pickup config and extra hole for the output jack), and had a couple custom guards cut by WD Music to match the VM1. The VM1 guard is tri-colored and cut for HH pickup config and two knobs; volume and single tone knob. I also got a couple of Dimarzio Double Whammy pickups for each guitar (which was what the VM1 originally came with).

Last, i painted one white, and one off-white and splattered blue, black, green, pink and purple just like the VM1.

The project probably cost more money/time and effort than what the guitars are worth...but it's something I wanted to do for a while with these guitars and have been accumulating the parts for a while and just needed some time to do it. They're not perfect, but cool players that i can take anywhere and not have to worry about as the real VM1's don't get out much

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 03:16 PM

Re: VM1 Project

Nice Job!
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 06:32 PM

That's really cool! Neat project, Paul.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 01:22 PM

That is so amazing - thank you for sharing - That's two days running now that Vinnie Moore's name has cropped up - I heard that he is releasing a brand NEW Instrumental album - AERIAL VISIONS - found the details on his Facebook page
So looking forward to this.
Thanks again for your amazing guitars and post.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. These old Roadstars are cool guitars and short money. Glad i found some beat up ones so i didn't feel so bad altering them the way i did. I've got these sitting in my office and find myself staring over at them...love the way the splash looks
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 08:00 PM

I understand that '87s are a bit harder to find but I think you could get really close with one of those.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 08:09 PM

Reviews: 2

Very, very cool Paul. The '86 and '87 roadsters are a lot pricier, but they would make great bases for another build like this simply because of the Edge trems in them. In fact, if I can find another '86, I may try doing the same thing....��
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 10:19 PM

Looks good...I guess you got the splatter worked out...which did you end up using?
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 11:09 PM

Great job. Looks fantastic. How do you find those Roadstar trems in terms of stability. I had a Roadstar in the 80s (my first electric) and it went out of tune so easy I just blocked it off. Sounded great though. I put a super distortion in it. Wish I still had it.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 03:36 AM

true! modding sometime cost more than the value of the guitar itself, but it's fun.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

For the splatter i ended up just using testors model paint. I was messing around with acrylic paints diluted with a little water which probably would have worked too. The one negative is that this took a lot more clear coat because the splatter added height. You wouldn't think alot, but enough to require 2 cans instead of one.

You guys are right about the '87 and would have loved to have done one of those. They seem to be a lot more pricey.

As for the stability...it does slip out of tune more than i'm used to, but I primarily play locking nut guitars so i can't say if it slips out any more than any other non-locking guitar. I did have a similar guitar MIK from the same time period and the thing was awful in terms of slipping out of tune; these are definitely better than that one. The tuners on the MIK were total junk. I think these will be fine, but if i find i'm having trouble i may get a set of Spurzels (which actually the VM1 came equipt with). For now i'm going to leave them alone and see how stable they are.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 08:44 PM

Reviews: 120

Very cool guitars, great work!
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Very cool guitars, great work!
Thanks
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 10:59 AM

I wonder if the locking tuners would help too?? Please report back if you do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwsusi View Post
As for the stability...it does slip out of tune more than i'm used to, but I primarily play locking nut guitars so i can't say if it slips out any more than any other non-locking guitar. I did have a similar guitar MIK from the same time period and the thing was awful in terms of slipping out of tune; these are definitely better than that one. The tuners on the MIK were total junk. I think these will be fine, but if i find i'm having trouble i may get a set of Spurzels (which actually the VM1 came equipt with). For now i'm going to leave them alone and see how stable they are.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwsusi View Post
For the splatter i ended up just using testors model paint. I was messing around with acrylic paints diluted with a little water which probably would have worked too. The one negative is that this took a lot more clear coat because the splatter added height. You wouldn't think alot, but enough to require 2 cans instead of one.
Awesome Job! Love the splatter. So, you built up the clear enough to where you dont' feel the bumps of the splatter? Have you ever owned/held a VM1SH, does the body feel smooth to where you don't feel the splatter?

Tags
vm1 vinnie moore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode