Volume and tone controls - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Volume and tone controls

So I'm do a project RG520. Having thoughts about swapping round the controls a bit. Thinking about having a Master control for the volume and 2 tones pots for the 2 humbuckers. Any one done something similar. Did think of 2 vols and 2 tones but that would require some more routing to make room for the 4 pots. I think 2 tones, specially with treble bleeds installed would be useable. Thoughts..?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 05:55 PM

Re: Volume and tone controls

who use tone pots?i really dont understand why they are on guitars?its needles and ugly.
when do you use it?i never.and the volume pot is mostly wrong posisioned.put it lower.on the place of the normal tone pot.like a pgm.but its your guitar and do what you like.but i think i have different things i like about guitars.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 09:38 PM

Gibson does it on a lot of their guitars, and Fender does too. I'd go for, I find it very useful, but I'm also a big fan of 2 volume and 2 tone controls.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Tone controls with the right wiring, caps and a treble bleed are an exellent tool to have. I'm not an EMG/ drop D thrash metaler so I find these controls quite usefull. Also if room permits I will add a coil-splitter switch which will give me infinite options.

So has anyone done the tone mod?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 02:24 AM

i just want to know how you use it.when and how.the options and how you want it is almost endless.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianxtr View Post
i just want to know how you use it.when and how.the options and how you want it is almost endless.
You ever had a turn on a LP , SG , that has tone knobs? They can give quite a variation in sound/tone. Especially when set up with a good cap and treble bleed kit. I like. But thats just me.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 07:03 AM

Yes, the Gibsonesque control setup gives a wide range of sounds from the guitar. Quite handy, especially if you play a wide variety of music and/or need to use a lot of different tones.

Haven't tried it myself, but it should be easy to do... try finding for example the wiring diagram for a Strat (it has 2 tone controls), should work out. Have you ever thought about adding a direct output switch though? Personally that's my favourite addition, very useful indeed, was thinking about adding one to my RG.

'87
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 03:38 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianxtr View Post
who use tone pots?i really dont understand why they are on guitars?its needles and ugly.
when do you use it?i never.
Do you ever use the clean channel? Or single coils/splits?

Not to mention tone pots are great for modding your pick attack.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 05:06 PM

On the strat wiring, the tone controls are switched in and out as the pickup selection is changed, these connections are usually used in RG guitars to work the coil taps, so Strat wiring as is won't work, the easiest thing to do is wire the tone controls in line with the pickups *before* the selector switch. You'll need to do the same with the volumes if you install 2 of those...
Jim
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Cool ! Cheerz for that info. Will update.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 08:39 PM

Go for it, man can never have to many tone controlls.
it is only "dead lazer distortion 2000" who don't like them.

Why not use push/pull pots on the two tones to split the humbuckers?
And also on the volume to switch the treble-bleed in and out.

And don't use too hot humbuckers so they split well.

It would be a very versatile guitar.

/Magnus

Tags
tone tone volume

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode