Vote: *EBMM John Petrucci 6 string full options or Jem7VWH - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2002, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Vote: *EBMM John Petrucci 6 string full options or Jem7VWH

read title.. *( i hope this isn't a redundant subject as the search wasn't working for me a right now)

judge mainly terms of sound and feel

edit: *I'm looking for personal preferences, not advice **)

(Edited by SHsu516815 at 8:29 pm on Mar. 16, 2002)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2002, 11:02 PM

Reviews: 5
Vote: *EBMM 6 string full options or JemVWH

No question JEM7VWH. *Since this is opinion, here's mine

Neck: *Most playable, perfect neck ever made on a production model. *Smooth, wide, thin and flat. *Perfect. *

Pickups: *The Evolutions are powerful, articulate pickups. *They have more bite and power than most pickups, but more clarity than something like the X2N or an Invader.

Bridge: *The Lo Pro is the most stable, in-tune bridge around. *I tune my JEM7VWH less than I tuned my stop-tail Washburn. *Plus, no other bridge gives me the capability to raise and lower pitches this much.

Body: *Alder. *I love the sound of alder. *It make the high output pickups sound smooth and bright.

Looks: *They always play a factor and the JEM is so elegant.

I'm a pretty big guy, so that tiny little neck on the EB/MM cramps my fingers. *Combine that with an OK bridge and pickups I don't like much...blech. *I'd definately go for the JEM. *Better pickups, neck and body. *Just my opinion though.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

haha.. I'm 6' and have BIG hands, and yeah, same here, the neck feels a little cramped on the JPM.. *Also, I feel the lead tone isn't so hot unless you're playing nasty fast leads, where petrucci's signature sound / attack comes out of the guitar *=)
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 12:33 AM

Which EB 6-string are you referring to? *It wasn't clear in your post. *I've played the Luke, JP's and Steve Morse and they were all fairly different from each other. *If you're referring to JP's, I agree with the earlier comments that the neck is quite small. *For me, I think the EB JP pickups are plenty hot. *They are actually hotter than my Ibanez JPM pickups when I just do an A/B type comparison in distorted channels.

I've only played a JemVWH once and while I really liked it, I prefer the knob layout on my JPMs. *I always come back to that as a sticking point for me. *Before I ever saw a JPM I wanted to move my volume knob out of the way. *That's why I really dig Rob Balducci's 7-string. *Now that is a fine instrument on many levels......

Paul
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Doh.. sorry I musta missed it *(sleepy)
I mean the JP model full options
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 03:08 AM

I think it's a no-brainer, the JPM. *If you're talking value/versatility. *Scrap the JP inlays and the $500 mystic paint job and it is even less of a quandry.

(Edited by kirk at 3:10 am on Mar. 17, 2002)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 01:39 PM

JEM all the way!
don't hesitate!
don't mind!
simply: JEM!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 03:29 PM

It really depends what you want...

They are about as opposite as you can get.

The VWH is very nice (I'd like one eventually) but it's mostly flash that you are paying for imo. The inlays, the gold hardware etc. It's got a wonderful neck and the stock pickups aren't horrible (although I'd gut'em for sure). Overall a really nice guitar that's tough to fault. But when you think about what you get for what you are paying, the JPM is a better deal imo.

If you do like Kirk said and scrap the inlays/sig finish, you can pick up a loaded 6 string JPM for under $1500 I'm pretty sure. It's not as flashy now, it's a much more reserved guitar (which I like since I'm not flashy either ), but it's far more versitile based on the pickup/piezo setup alone. Personally I prefer the EB neck to the JEM neck, but that is me. I think the finish and fretwork of the EB is far superior however, but I'm sure I'll get flamed for that.

I think what it boils down to is what do you want the most? Style/flash or versatility/value?

If it's style/flash, get the JEM, if it's versatility/value get the JPM (and a little exclusivity as well, JEM's are a dime a dozen, especially VWH's ).
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm.....

got questions:
how is factory setup for EBMM JP? *Just wonderin cause it sounds pretty custom order-ish

Do you know if you have to pay extra at the store if you want to order specific options? *I know you gotta put something down with Rich... *Just don't know if its the case everywhere - the store is closed now can't call
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 07:02 PM

I would imagine that a deposit is required across the board. *Then you have to wait for your guitar to be made. *I think wait time is 6 months or something close to it.

I played two at GC, one was setup impeccably, but the other needed the action lowered. *Setups are really a matter of personal preference though.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 07:21 PM

JEM7VWH. *Ultimate guitar ever, in my opinion....although I like the Peavey Wolfgangs, I can't stand the EBMM guitars....they just don't feel right to me....just my two cents
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 08:14 PM

Truly a difficult choice. I've played both, and I really like them both a lot. They're both wellmade, and both sound great and play great. I'd say play them both, and see which you like best. They're more or less in the same price range, so I don't think that's an issue.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

haha.. I guess its obvious now, I am buying one of them... *Yeah.. I like em both so its kinda KILLIN me here! *that's why I wanted your opinions for yourselves * XP
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 09:35 PM

Reviews: 3

well...id go with the 7vwh...i think overall its a better guitar. *I have to have a bridge like the lo pro and haven't found anything better yet...stays in tune forever...i do prefer the neck on the jp, i am not *a huge guy...my fingers are long enough, but not huge...the jp has a really flat neck on back plus its smooth...doesn't have that finish on the back...BUT...i dont like the pups in the jpm. i love evos. *the neck on the 7vwh is nice...pretty flat...but after my wizard necks it feels pretty beefy to me, of course the ebony fingerboard makes up for it...but anyway...id say go for the 7vwh.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Yeah... *You know, I dunno if its just me, but the tone of the VWH, doesn't it sound like its literally sweet? *I mean even when playing like rhythm lines, you can hear this sweet overtone, and that's one thing that's convicing me over to VWH *Also it is beautiful, has alder, nice neck although the JP's finish, I agree, feels better on the neck

But man, piezo is NICE, and so is the body of the JP for me.. nice shred tone, and versatility. * X *P such hard decision

why the heck are these things so expensive!

(Edited by SHsu516815 at 10:37 pm on Mar. 17, 2002)

Tags
coil pickup , ebmm jpm , ebony fingerboard , eric johnson , high output pickups , ibanez jpm , inner coils , jem neck , output pickup , peavey wolfgang , pro edge , production model , rob balducci , steve morse , volume pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode