Wahburn Falcon - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Wahburn Falcon

I just dug out my old guitar from the closet. I'd like to give it a little presentation because it was my only one in 17 years until I bought my Jem90 last year.

It is a Wahburn Falcon. I bought it used in 1984 for $80. This was once a fine instrument but I did what many other did in the 80s. I had to have a locking tremolo and I couldn't afford a new guitar so I routed it and installed an Edge. This was done 1988 after testing a DY JEM in a store. I couldn't find a PAF Pro so I ended up with a DiMarzio PAF in the bridge position.

It's a swamp ash body with a carved maple top. The neck is a five piece laminated maple/rosewood combination. It's got an ebony finger board. The neck profile is "baseball bat" with a 24 3/4" scale. Fret inlays are brass rings. It used to have two coil tapped humbuckers and a fixed bridge where the strings went through the body. This is the heaviest guitar I've ever played. I don't have a scale but Id say it is 6-7 kilos.

Through the years I have abused this guitar terribly. You can especially see this in the picture of the back. The modifications are one thing but at one time it was actually used as a hammer anic:

What I would ideally like to do is to restore it to its original condition but I don't think it's possible. I don't have more than one of the original pickups and the fixed bridge is long gone. It wouldn't be possible to fill the hole after the trem in a pretty way either.

I have determined to use it as a lab guitar. I will test out different electronics projects. First out will be to test the coil-tap circuit that I drew up for aerocol. That will be cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 02:36 PM

The body looks more like burl mahogany than it does swamp ash...swamp ash is a pretty light colored wood, and doesn't usually have that much figure to it. Likewise, the top looks like walnut or Koa...definitely not maple though.

Cool guitar! I've seen and played a few Falcons over the years...great tone!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
The body looks more like burl mahogany than it does swamp ash...swamp ash is a pretty light colored wood, and doesn't usually have that much figure to it. Likewise, the top looks like walnut or Koa...definitely not maple though.

Cool guitar! I've seen and played a few Falcons over the years...great tone!
I've always thought that the body was mahogany. To get the specs correct I went to harmony-central and read in one of the reviews that it was swamp ash. I might have been more correct if I've just winged it
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 05:59 PM

LOL Yeah...I don't know how much I trust anything on Harmony Central I believe there were several models of Falcons release though. Regardless, I'm betting yours sounds MUCH better than a swamp ash-bodied one would!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 09:19 AM

There were several models available. There was the Falcon, which was the higher end and there was the Hawk, the lower end model. My buddies older brother had one of these in the early 80's. I've always loved them. I just scored a pretty mint one here in town. Mine has the Tobacco Sunburst finish. Mine does not look like yours wood-wize though. Mine is Swamp Ash and a Maple top. I love the versatality of these. The coil taps help get that Tele tone. A bit fatter than a tele though. It must have been the rage to put locking trems on these guitars. My buddys Brother put a Washburn Wonderbar on it. Messed it up pretty bad. Your trem mod looks much nicer...

BTW, when, and under what cercumstances, do you use your guitar as a hammer???

Tags
bridge position , coil tap , dimarzio paf , ebony finger board , finger board , fixed bridge , fret inlay , locking tremolo , locking trems , paf pro , sunburst finish , swamp ash , swamp ash body , tobacco sunburst

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode