Ibanez JEM Forum banner
9K views 69 replies 28 participants last post by  goth_fiend 
#1 ·
First of all, I didn't really know where to post this but the 7 string section seemed like the logical choice.
I'm sure I'll get a little heat from some people, as I'm sure it's not everyones "cup of tea" but oh well. :wink: I just wanted to let you guys check out my custom 9 string that is being built right now. The body still needs to be carved and what not. It's being built by ERGO Stringed Instruments.(at least that's the name he's thinking of going with now) Anyway, he use to work for Warrior and pretty much built my bass players two 9 string Warrior basses so I would imagine he knows what he's doing. :wink:
Some specs are: 28 5/8 inch scale, Custom EMG bridge pickup, 36 fret(mostly for looks and a little tapping here and there), Mono rail bridge system(very similar to what's on the Ibanez BTB basses only guitar sized) and it'll be tuned (low to high)F# B E A D F G# C# E with a hipshot d-tuner on the low F# to drop it down to E. Neck-thru with maple board and alder body wings. The color will be a satin trans-black. I'll basically be an endorsee so I get them for a pretty low cost. I can pretty much get 3 of these for the price of 1 Conklin New Century series 8 string.
It should be done by the end of the month.

I've always wanted to be a bass player but I love playing the guitar. This is my solution. :D Next will be a fanned fret version. :D

UPDATE
For all those interested, it's finally done! It hasn't arrived yet but it is on the way! Just in time for Christmas! The worst part was waiting for EMG to finish the pickup. That alone took nearly 2 months.
Anyway, here is a pic of the finished product.

Here is a little bit larger picture.
Quite the monster! I can't wait to start re-learning how to play. :D

See less See more
#17 ·
JEMavenger said:
Why did you go with only 1 truss rod?
That's all it needs. The guy that's building it made a fanned fret 9 and a fanned fret 11 8O both with only 1 truss rod + some other type of reinforcement (I would imagine graphite) and they are just fine. Even the 9 string Warrior basses he built for my buddy only had one truss rod.
sam669 said:
could you get'em to build me an 8 string with multi scale? ;)
I'm sure he would have no problem with that. :wink:
ATDVSBL said:
what is the neck width at the nut?
I think it's around 3"
caprile said:
Tell us a little about the electronics...do you have some kind of separation between low and high strings?
No seperation. It'll basically be one big EMG 85.
The_Grindfiend said:
Also, how did you get EMG to custom make a pickup for you? I didn't think they did that?
The guy that's building the guitar can get pretty much what he wants from them.

Here are some pics of some things he has done:

10 string bass for Reggie Wooten

14 string(like a 12 string) with illuminated fret markers that change from red to green

A fanned fret 9 string for a guy named Dalawn.(This guy also has the 11 string)

The guy who's building them (Jesse would be his name) has quite the thing for unusual instruments, which is the main reason I decided to go with him. :wink:

#23 ·
Benno said:
Thats Crazy, little Meshuggah influence me be guessing...
I'll admit that they had a little influence on me finally getting one but they only play 8 strings :roll: :wink:
j/k
I've been wanting one since I discovered Conklin about 5 years ago.

I think the thing I'm most excited about it is people trying to figure out why our band has 2 bass players. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.