Walking that fine line between guitar and bass...(Updated) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Walking that fine line between guitar and bass...(Updated)

First of all, I didn't really know where to post this but the 7 string section seemed like the logical choice.
I'm sure I'll get a little heat from some people, as I'm sure it's not everyones "cup of tea" but oh well. I just wanted to let you guys check out my custom 9 string that is being built right now. The body still needs to be carved and what not. It's being built by ERGO Stringed Instruments.(at least that's the name he's thinking of going with now) Anyway, he use to work for Warrior and pretty much built my bass players two 9 string Warrior basses so I would imagine he knows what he's doing.
Some specs are: 28 5/8 inch scale, Custom EMG bridge pickup, 36 fret(mostly for looks and a little tapping here and there), Mono rail bridge system(very similar to what's on the Ibanez BTB basses only guitar sized) and it'll be tuned (low to high)F# B E A D F G# C# E with a hipshot d-tuner on the low F# to drop it down to E. Neck-thru with maple board and alder body wings. The color will be a satin trans-black. I'll basically be an endorsee so I get them for a pretty low cost. I can pretty much get 3 of these for the price of 1 Conklin New Century series 8 string.
It should be done by the end of the month.

I've always wanted to be a bass player but I love playing the guitar. This is my solution. Next will be a fanned fret version.

UPDATE
For all those interested, it's finally done! It hasn't arrived yet but it is on the way! Just in time for Christmas! The worst part was waiting for EMG to finish the pickup. That alone took nearly 2 months.
Anyway, here is a pic of the finished product.

Here is a little bit larger picture.
Quite the monster! I can't wait to start re-learning how to play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 05:43 PM

damn sweet looking! but i think i got a hand cramp by just looking at it! be sure to post some sound samples! peace!
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 06:28 PM

and i thought the neck on my UV was wide

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 06:40 PM

why arent you going for a highest A string? or is that E the octave higher?
moreover, will you find strings that long?
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

The tension on a high A would be to great at that scale lenght and most likely snap to easily. The high A will be for the fanned fret one. As for strings long enough. That's not a problem at all. Normal length strings will fit just fine.
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 07:33 PM

Why did you go with only 1 truss rod?
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 03:10 AM

Thats Crazy, little Meshuggah influence me be guessing...

F#

Good luck with it, its good to see more people designing their own instruments...
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketBot
The tension on a high A would be to great at that scale lenght and most likely snap to easily. The high A will be for the fanned fret one. As for strings long enough. That's not a problem at all. Normal length strings will fit just fine.
oh yeah forgot about the long neck
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 07:40 AM

and I thought I'd have problems with my 2077 and its tension... you're DEFINITELY asking for it with a 28 5/8 scale

it does look nice tho
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 08:37 AM

could you get'em to build me an 8 string with multi scale?
post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 09:18 AM

That looks like it will be sweet. I like the shape.

what is the neck width at the nut?
post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 09:45 AM

Wow. That's wild. Can't wait to see it done!
post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 11:21 AM

Swweeeet,Can't wait to see it finished dude,there's gonna be a few 8/9 strings being shown off before xmas at this rate :-)

Rob (can't wait to get more done on his 8 stringer)
post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 11:33 AM

Wow...looks great! Tell us a little about the electronics...do you have some kind of separation between low and high strings?
post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 12:33 PM

That's one of the coolest thigs I've ever seen in my entire life. Tell me, please, that the neck is a multi-laminate? With graphite reinforcement? Also, how did you get EMG to custom make a pickup for you? I didn't think they did that?

Tags
alder body , body shape , bridge pickup , custom guitar , distorted tone , fanned fret , fanned frets , fret guitar , fret markers , high strings , magnetic pickups , maple fret , maple fretboard , pinch harmonics , pod pro , string bass , string gauges , string section , string tree , string trees , swamp ash , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode