wanna make an ibanez xiphos - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Smile wanna make an ibanez xiphos

hey ppl ..i am planning to build a guitar and originally it was going to be a stratocaster bcoz of the range of playability its got.however i then decided to build a flying v.but ever since i saw the xiphos my hearts set on it..drool!..
ive decided i have to have one..since its a neck through body(can we make it to have a bolt on neck to fit in the body?) it would be difficult for me to make one as i have limited resources and havent got any blueprints unlike stratocaster..so i decided to make a strat ,and buy a xiphos later as i dont hav that kind of money to invest now..im a student.however my heart keeps wanting xiphos.so i'd request ppl please help me with your valuable opinions on how to make a xiphos or a neck through body.. photos and ideas would be appreciated..thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: wanna make an ibanez xiphos

An answer to this requires much more than a simple reply. Obiously, you have no guitar building experience--based on some of your comments. With the right experience, tools, and resources--you can build any guitar you can dream up. Just because a "stock" model has a neck-thru design, does not mean you can't make a bolt-on version. I suggest heading over to projectguitar.com and looks through the tuts. Start researching guitar building threads, and maybe start with something easier.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 02:10 PM

Reviews: 2

There are other 'X' bodies (non-Ibby) that accept bolt-on necks. Maybe try to bolt Ibby neck and hardware to one of these bodies ?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 12:05 AM

You could buy a Carvin neck-through neck which is available in their parts department online, and then make a template from a Xiphos body. Find center on both the neck and template, and cut the body wings at a local shop, if possible. They may do it very cheaply for you if all of the dimensions are ready to go. Then get a few wood clamps and glue them to the neck. It would end up costing more than the real thing though, but over time. But it would be totally custom, of course!

Could be a cool project to keep adding to over time.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989RG560CA View Post
There are other 'X' bodies (non-Ibby) that accept bolt-on necks. Maybe try to bolt Ibby neck and hardware to one of these bodies ?
that was one of my initial thoughts . i had planned to team a rosa hurricane body with an ibanez neck and h/w..actually im gonna get the guitar made If thats the project.I do not want to ruin my first custom build guitar!.however i cudnt find a "hurricane"or a poster to trace it.. if ppl cud help me with an image i cud try getting it done..the image on wikipedia is low resolution..

Last edited by mayank; 10-06-2010 at 10:13 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2203thrash View Post
You could buy a Carvin neck-through neck which is available in their parts department online, and then make a template from a Xiphos body. Find center on both the neck and template, and cut the body wings at a local shop, if possible. They may do it very cheaply for you if all of the dimensions are ready to go. Then get a few wood clamps and glue them to the neck. It would end up costing more than the real thing though, but over time. But it would be totally custom, of course!

Could be a cool project to keep adding to over time.
ya.. thats an idea!.but im not actually gonna build this guitar right now..i need to collect a lot of info on guitar building and i need the tracing of the body and need to increase my resources so -either ill get it build or ill buy one..either way is not possible as i dont have money for now..im already building a strat.The xiphos will be one of my future projects.

Tags
ibanez xiphos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode