Want a "Greenie Meanie"? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Want a "Greenie Meanie"?

Saw this and thought it might make good conversation.

http://www.wayneguitars.com/guitars/meanie_green.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 04:29 AM
Dee

Re: Want a "Greenie Meanie"?

Without looking deeper into it, what's the price? I bet it's crazy. The body looks like a Chibanez JEM LNG or something.

The headstock is a bit laughable.

Funny that all these guitars that are being made nowadays, such as the EVH models, must have cost next to nothing originally. Some people will fall for anything and pay top dollar. Seems wrong to me.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 04:33 AM

Reviews: 10
Exclamation Re: Want a "Greenie Meanie"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Without looking deeper into it, what's the price? I bet it's crazy. The body looks like a Chibanez JEM LNG or something.

The headstock is a bit laughable.

Funny that all these guitars that are being made nowadays, such as the EVH models, must have cost next to nothing originally. Some people will fall for anything and pay top dollar. Seems wrong to me.
I belive Charvel wants over 3k for it!!! isn't that insane!!!
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

Does not show a price, but that is Wayne Charvel's "new" company.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S View Post
I belive Charvel wants over 3k for it!!! isn't that insane!!!
Why would you say that? Not that I think it is worth that much, but if Ibanez can ask $2800 for a JEM, then I think they can ask $3000 for a hand made guitar.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 04:50 AM

Cool Re: Want a "Greenie Meanie"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
Why would you say that? Not that I think it is worth that much, but if Ibanez can ask $2800 for a JEM, then I think they can ask $3000 for a hand made guitar.
Personally I have never paid $2800 for any guitar, so they can ask $1,000,000
if they want! that does not mean I will pay it...I acknowledge that the guitars are well built and good quality but the prices are exorbitant for what you get.
For example i recently bought a kramer Bull's eye reissue w/ a brand new original Kramer leather case, OFR and seymour Duncan pickup, perfect in every way imaginable I paid $600 and he wants like $2900 for the same guitar with that new hideous headstock of his, if he is charging $2300 just because Wayne charvel put it together and you want to overpay be my guest!!!
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 04:56 AM

They are top-quality instruments though. Made with top-quality parts.
Admittedly, the price is still high, but thats what you pay for a custom USA made instrument from a very reputable builder.

I'm pretty sure that these Wayne models have been discussed here before. And if you wan't a Green Meanie, this is one of only 3 options you have. So its worth people looking at it.

GMW wouldn't charge much less than that to build one for you either.
The only other option would be a complete "parts" custom.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I think you missed my point.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 05:08 AM

Cool Re: Want a "Greenie Meanie"?

Quote:
I think you missed my point.
Not really, I know you said you did not feel it was worth that much, but the point I was trying to make was that manufacturers will try to get all they can for a guitar that in reality isn't worth that much at least not to me! although there is always someone out there who would pay that kind of money for one!
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 05:10 AM
Dee

$3000 is bloody ridiculous!

If I was Charvel I'd be coming up with crazy stuff, making use of interesting materials such as carbon fiber, coloured powder coated hardware, etc.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 09:54 AM

I'd NEVER pay that much for ANY guitar. I'm actually in the process of building a Green Meanie, and will be quite content, knowing I didn't spend $3000, on it.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 12:05 PM

Again guys, this is NOT A CHARVEL. It is a Wayne. The Wayne of Wayne guitars IS Wayne Charvel, but he is no longer associated with Charvel or Jackson guitars at all, and hasn't been for years.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 12:23 PM

3K really isnt that much for a custom built, mostly hand made instrument - not on the level that Wayne is doing them. Normal production run stuff will always be cheaper. Its building small amounts of guitars sporadically that gets pricy for the builder and ultimately the consumer.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 01:48 PM

think i prefer this
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Dee

I must be seeing this differently from some of you, I think. I tend not to get too concerned with who exactly makes it, but rather what it consists of. Example: today a catalog came through the post from a music store, junk mail, pretty much, and it was full of Fenders. Some of them were £3,000, £4,000... and at the end of the day they were basic, Alder bodied Strats, they had vintage trems, maple boards, blah,... just normal stuff, only they were the same as the ones Eric Clapton plays. Now, am I missing something here? I think it's the same for the Charvel Green Meanie, or EVH striiped guitars. They're basic parts, and any half-decent guitar maker could knock them together for far less money.

It should be about the instrument, not the name. I can appreciate good craftsmanship, of course, but I bet they're no better than the half-decent custom guy could do. Or are they specially grown hand selected Floyd Rose bridges? Meh.

Tags
alder bodied , charvel green meanie , custom shop , eric clapton , fernandes sustainer , floyd rose , floyd rose bridge , ibanez jem , jackson guitars , jem lng , monkey grip , music store , seymour duncan , vintage trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode