Want new guitar - cant decide what to get - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
dfi

Want new guitar - cant decide what to get

New here, just found this forum yesterday. Not sure if this is the right place for this post.

After about a decade away from my guitar, I really want to improve my playing, so I'm looking for a new guitar with features that my old guitar lacks. Things high up on my list include 24 frets, fast neck, easy access to all frets, and a tremolo. I would like to find a HH or HSH pickup configuration. Basically, I want to start shredding, even though I like playing all types of music. I also noticed that I seem to like the mahogany/maple combination, although this is not a requirement since I also love lightweight guitars. I have some money burning a hole in my pocket right now, although I can't imagine spending more than $1,500 - $2,000, and I am not opposed to spending less!

So after going to 7 guitar stores, here are the guitars that made an impression:

Jackson SL2H
Jackson SLSMG (no tremolo)
Ibanez JEM7v
Ibanez Rga121 (no tremolo)
Carvin DC400
Carvin California carve top
Musicman Luke

I still haven't found a SL3 or RG1550 to try yet. And I'm pretty sure I won't go with the Musicman Luke because it sounds a bit thin. And I'm a bit weary of Carvin building a custom guitar since I like to try the exact guitar I'm buying before I buy. The problem with the remaining candidates is that I like them all - they are all different in their own ways but each are very good, both in playability and sound. Also frustrating is the fact that the rga121 is probably my favorite of the bunch for its sustain and finish, but lacks a tremolo which I really want.

Also, I'm wondering if a new guitar is really what I need. After looking through the forum archives, I found a video of a chinese guy shredding on a strat, which makes me think I should just fix my disemboweled strat copy and practice like a bat out of hell. Too bad I can't stand the heel on a strat.

I'm not sure what to do now. I've been going around to any guitar stores within driving distance. The more stores I go to, the more guitars I find that make an impression, and the harder it is to decide. Any suggestions or recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 11:00 AM

Re: Want new guitar - cant decide what to get

Regardless of who plays what, a better guitar can make a difference. Of the ones you have listed my choice would be the Jem7V . I own one and can tell you it's definitely a shred machine. It's got the fast neck you want, it's got HSH pup config. , 24 frets , easy access to all the frets which I'm sure you noticed when you tried one out.

It really boils down to what YOU want. Out of the list that you've tried , which one do YOU like the best. I've never tried musicman or Carvin, but I do own a Jackson Dinky (HH pup config), and have played other Jacksons. Jacksons kick ass too, but since I've got my Jem7VWH, I've bought 4 other Ibanez and haven't looked back. I've got big hands and can definitely access the upper frets easier on my Jem (and Rg's too) . If a Jem is too pricey, and RG works great too( The RG is based on the Jem ).
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
dfi

True, ultimately it all comes down to my preferences. But I'm wondering if anyone here has some insight on the process that I may have missed. I'm suffering from paralysis from analysis right now.

I tried out a SA470, RG2570, and RGT220A today, along with a jackson SL3. The RGT200A and SL3 were both nice.

While at the store, I saw quite a few Ibanez guitars with the "RG" designation. On the ibanez page there are tons of "RG" designated guitars, and all of them seem to be very similar. Many seem to have maple neck/basswood bodies. What's with all the RG guitars and what's the difference? Is it just hardware?

Last edited by dfi; 05-02-2006 at 07:27 AM.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 07:36 AM

^you want to make sure that if the rg you're looking at has a trem, that it's 1550/1570 or better (or 550/570 or better, in the older models (bar a very odd 470 that had a good trem))- anything lower than that has pretty poor trems.

The edge pro II on these lower guitars is supposedly better than the old lo-trs ( i have one, it's awful, won't hold tune, knife edges are shot), although it's been superceded by the edge III, which, from what I hear, isn't as good as the edge pro II.

Still, if you have the cash (and you do), I wouldn't be looking at an RG (with trem) lower than prestige (1550/1570) series.

Oh, and I second GTR-MAN about the Jem- it's not really my thing, as it's too "vai" IMO, but I can't deny it's a shred monster.

What amp do you have, by the way? A good amp will help you shred too...
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 08:59 AM

Just order a Vigier. You don't even need to play one to buy one. And you'll want to sell the rest once you have it. Fastest and best necks in the industry by far. And a ballbearing Floyd. Retailing for far less than 2k with superior quality. I ordered a Vigier Excalibur Original without ever trying one and it simply puts my other guitars (7VWH, 90HAM, UV777BK, Maxxas! MX-2) to shame.
www.vigierguitars.com
www.tonemerchants.com
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 10:21 AM

Out of the guitars you've listed, the SL2H seems to fit what you are after.

An Ibanez that i would suggest is the Limited RG1550FM. A mahogany body with flame maple venear and maple neck and fretboard. I own one and it's my favourite guitar and the best guitar i've owned to date.

You could also look into Vigier. I played one very briefly a few years ago and it was gorgeous. the playability was super smooth and the tone was fat with loads of sustain. The tremolo was pretty unique too. It uses ball bearings instead of knife edges which gives it a much smoother feel and apparently stays in tune just as good as (if not better) than a floyd rose.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 10:44 AM

I would buy Carvin or Jackson Soloist SL2H. California Carved Top felt really nice, amazing action but the balance of the guitar and the body shape wasn't for me. Also try out Ibanez Rg3120.

Btw, I'm also buying a new guitar and I know exactly how you feel. It's so hard to choose since there are so many great guitars.

Last edited by shredfreak; 05-02-2006 at 10:51 AM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 10:51 AM

Can't go wrong with the 7v
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 11:05 AM

what you want is an rgt320. it fits whay you want to a T. its also one of the most beautiful production ibanez's. it's worth buying sight unseen. no negative reviews and it is just killer. i personally have an rgt3120 which i love dearly, so i can attest to the quality of the product.

rich
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texter
Just order a Vigier. You don't even need to play one to buy one. And you'll want to sell the rest once you have it. Fastest and best necks in the industry by far. And a ballbearing Floyd. Retailing for far less than 2k with superior quality. I ordered a Vigier Excalibur Original without ever trying one and it simply puts my other guitars (7VWH, 90HAM, UV777BK, Maxxas! MX-2) to shame.
www.vigierguitars.com
www.tonemerchants.com
what's the nut width on those? I'd order one in a second (ok, maybe not that quick, lol) but i have a horrible feeling they're 42mm, and i prefer 43mm...
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 02:06 PM

42 mm.

I know what you mean, that 1 mm kills me every time...
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 02:08 PM

^man, i hate that. 90% of guitarists look at me like I should be committed when I say that, but i notice, dammit!

custom build for me, then...

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 02:56 PM

For the original poster, I would highly recommend ordering a J-Custom. I've played most of what you list as liking, and my used RG8670 blows them all away easily. The necks on these things are absolutely amazing, and if you have some patience you can easliy pick one up at or below your price range (I got mine from Ishibashi used for less than your minumum including shipping and import duties).

I even believe there are a couple of 8670's for sale in the classifieds section, though the prices are a bit on the steep side.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 03:34 PM

rg3120 (if you can still find one) or an rgt3120. sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
dfi

I'll have to take a look at a vigier. Luckily there is a distributor not too far from here.

I was playing a rgt320 at a store when the staff recommended a rg1550, but they didn't have any in stock. Looks like it has been discontinued?

I feel uncomfortable with the idea of buying a guitar online that I've never played before. It seems that two apparently identical guitars can varying qualities. Are Ibanez guitars generally very consistent?

Tags
basswood bodies , body shape , custom guitar , edge pro trem , flame maple , floyd rose , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , ibanez rga , jackson dinky , jackson soloist , mahogany body , maple neck , shred machine , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode