want a non tremolo 24 fret guitar, carvin or Rg421, ??? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

want a non tremolo 24 fret guitar, carvin or Rg421, ???

Yah, I used to have an RG320qs, and I wasnt overly impressed with it's quality, so now im looking into a Carvin. Are they well made compared to an RG, or would I be better off saving my money and getting the RG421?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 09:23 AM

It depends what you're looking for. The 421 is a great guitar for the money, but it comes in only one configuration.

If you like two-humbucker RG-style guitars with basswood bodies, bolt-on maple necks and rosewood fretboards with plastic dots, go for it. Oh, and they come in any colour you want, as long as it's black.

The Carvin costs more, but you get a neck-thru guitar with tons of options... you can build it pretty much exactly how you want it. Carvins are very well made, but they don't hold their resale value very well at all. But if you don't like it, you can always send it back.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 10:08 AM

Two other things to consider with the RG421:

1) It's made in Japan, unlike the RG320 which is made in Korea.

2) It's also available in Royal Blue.

You can also read Glen's hands on report on this site.

Cheers,
Butch
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch
2) It's also available in Royal Blue.
Whoops. My mistake... i was thinking of the 7321. Thanks for the correction, butch!

Here's a link to Glen's hands-on review.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 02:11 PM

I have the RG421 as well, with the TZ/AN combo. I love it, simply the best Iby I've ever owned.

The Carvin is fantastic too though, albeit at a higher price. but again, you get what you pay for. Neck through, ****e-load of options, acoustic bridge option being a very cool idea, etc.

I don't think you can go wrong either way.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 11:18 PM

I had an RG270 with a wizard 2 neck and I absoloutly hated it after a month or so. the Wizard 1 neck on my 570 was such a nice change. but now that ive fallen in love with my ar250 i think its time to try the wizard 2 neck out again, especially on a fixed bridge guitar :O

actually I would think that the V8 in an RG minus the tremolo would give the axe one BEAST of a bottom end to it. the stock pups might ot be half bad
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 05:28 AM

how about 25 frets...

Get a PGM 10th!! 25 frets, thrings through body, classic hardtail bridge, an incredible neck, and decent pups...

only problem is it aint cheap... and it aint easy to find either...

Rob

(PGM 90 is pretty close, minus the extra fret...)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 09:12 PM

Re: how about 25 frets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualBurn
Get a PGM 10th!! 25 frets, thrings through body, classic hardtail bridge, an incredible neck, and decent pups...

only problem is it aint cheap... and it aint easy to find either...

Rob

(PGM 90 is pretty close, minus the extra fret...)
I don't think he's in the market for something like that, when he's asking about the 421.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 09:19 PM

25 frets??
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

hehe,

Thanks for the replys guys. UNFORTUNATELY I have received an offer on a Jackson Soloist that im having trouble even thinking of refusing. They guy really wants to get rid of it and it has a Floyd, but ill bite the bullet for a high end neck thru guitar like that. Mebbe ill block it and save some pennies for one with a hard tail as well.

That Paul Gilbert guitar sounds intruiging, I looked around and you are right, it's rare!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 08:35 AM

Carvin, hands down IMHO

Tags
basswood bodies , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , hardtail bridge , jackson soloist , maple neck , maple necks , neck thru , paul gilbert , rosewood fretboard , rosewood fretboards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode