Warmoth Custom - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Warmoth Custom

Okay, I was considering ordering from Warmoth, and here's what I've been thinking

-Alder Strat Body
-Sonic Blue/Alpine White paint job (can't decide yet)
-Ibanez Breed Neck and Bridge pickups
-Tortoise Shell Pickguard
-Fender 6-Screw Vintage bridge/American Fender Bridge

-Warmoth Pro halfsawn Maple Neck
-Wizard Contour
-Vintage Gloss finish
-SS6105 Stainless Steel Frets
-10 1/2 fretboard radius
-Abalone Dots
-Corian/Graphteq Nut
-Gotoh Kluson Tuners

Any suggestions/changes? Also, if anyone here has ordered from warmoth, what do you think of them quality-wise and in general?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 07:09 PM

Re: Warmoth Custom

I have ordered a few necks from Warmoth and have been very happy with the quality.

I would suggest cruising the showcase for deals to save some money. Also, the wizard profile is an up charge and it too close to the standard thin to justify the extra cost (IMO).
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 07:59 PM

+1 with Ayrton on the showcase cruising.

get locking tuners, maybe consider a Wilkinson/Gotoh 2 post trem - they are great! If you have a preference for the traditional six screw trem, have a look at Callahams - it is supposedly the best on the market
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 08:13 PM

My friend has a Warmoth Strat and the quality is exceptional.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 09:08 PM

Sonic blue with a plain white pickguard I think would look a bit nicer than the tortoise guard. I'd also go with the Wilky 2 point and probably Fralins as well, or the Carvin 3 AP-11/pearl guard combo (only 100 bucks pre-wired).
Sounds good though!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Okay, made some adjustments for cost reasons (oddly enough, despite what people are saying here), but here are the basics:

-Alder Strat Body
-Sonic Blue
-DiMarzio Breed Neck and Bridge pickups
-Mint Green Pickguard
-Fender 6-Screw Vintage bridge/American Fender Bridge

-Warmoth Pro halfsawn Maple Neck
-Vintage Gloss finish
-6105 Standard Frets
-10 1/2 fretboard radius
-Abalone Dots
-Corian/Graphteq Nut
-Gotoh Kluson Tuners

Okay, now a few more questions, I'm debating: Do I need a capacitator? I'm gonna have a 3-way switch, one volume knob, and one tone knob.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 10:32 PM

Like a Sprague orange cap? Couldn't hurt; they're cheap enough and easy to remove if you don't like them. You have lots of aftermarket tone control options as well. You're going with a maple fretboard, right? Warmoth's compound radius necks play very quickly if you haven't tried them.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Like a Sprague orange cap? Couldn't hurt; they're cheap enough and easy to remove if you don't like them. You have lots of aftermarket tone control options as well. You're going with a maple fretboard, right? Warmoth's compound radius necks play very quickly if you haven't tried them.
Thanks for the tip on the compound radiuses, I'll consider giving them a shot. With the tone control, I'm going through Warmouth, using their potentiometers. As far as the capacitators go, I'll be ordering straight through Warmoth:

http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/part...ude_capacitors
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 12:19 PM

Check Torres (www.torresengineering.com) out, they have all sorts of fun stuff for Strats. The compound radius necks will go you a familiar Fender feel on the low frets for strumming open chords, but will be flatter and better for fast runs higher up the neck. They're a best of both worlds sort of compromise, and very easy to get along with.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 02:31 PM

I second the compound radius.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 02:35 PM

I see that you decided on regular frets... I was going to tell you that the stainless frets might not be the best route. I know a couple of custom builders and they hate stainless frets. Getting a setup will cost much more down the road.

For a bit more Warmoth will sell you a quartersawn neck which will be more stable, especially if you plan on doing an oil finish on the neck. Either way it looks like a sweet deal.

I'm going to do something similar but with a Korina or Basswood body for a little more mellow sound and then I'm going to do a SD JB in the bridge with a Jazz in the neck spot. I'll most likely go fixed bridge because I can't stand tremolo's that aren't an original Floyd Rose. I may do a chambered body also.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 02:50 PM

What is not to love about stainless frets? I tried one neck with them, and eventually all mine will have them. I don't agree that a set up with stainless will cost any more than nickel (in my experience), but even if it is does, it wont be much.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 03:54 PM

Stainless Steel frets are awesome, play better and last forever. If you have a choice get them
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRyan View Post
I see that you decided on regular frets... I was going to tell you that the stainless frets might not be the best route. I know a couple of custom builders and they hate stainless frets. Getting a setup will cost much more down the road.

For a bit more Warmoth will sell you a quartersawn neck which will be more stable, especially if you plan on doing an oil finish on the neck. Either way it looks like a sweet deal.

I'm going to do something similar but with a Korina or Basswood body for a little more mellow sound and then I'm going to do a SD JB in the bridge with a Jazz in the neck spot. I'll most likely go fixed bridge because I can't stand tremolo's that aren't an original Floyd Rose. I may do a chambered body also.

Yeah, looked at the quartersawns and decided against it for pricing issues, if I'm going to upgrade from standard maple I'd consider going Birdseye (especially with the vintage tint).

Decided on standards over stainlesses because because I needed to lower the price a bit, it's a little out of my range as it is with those specs.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 06:34 PM

You can have your choice of several Warmoth Pro necks with birdseye maple in the showcase. Get the stainless frets, and finish the neck yourself.

Check this baby out.

Item Number: SN3646

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_g...adius_filter=1

Tags
abalone dots , alder strat , basswood body , bridge pickup , bridge pickups , classic strat , clean tone , custom guitar , dimarzio breed , dot inlay , double fat strat , fat strat , fixed bridge , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , floyd rose tremolo , fretboard radius , locking tuners , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , neck pickup , prestige necks , pro neck , stainless frets , stainless steel frets , steel frets , strat body , strat sound , strat tone , tung oil , van halen , warmoth strat , white pickguard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode