Warmoth Soloist Bodies & Necks - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Warmoth Soloist Bodies & Necks

Do any of you have any experience of these bodies and necks?
I've been checking out the website and it seems I can get a HSH basewood body (with contoured heel and Floyd route) with a maple/maple Wizard profile neck (with jumbo fretwire) for realy cheap.
Of course it's all down to the current pound/dollar exchange rate but this is looking like a real possibility for my next guitar. I was wondering if you guys had used this company before or even better if you'd bought the soloist body/neck ?
Thanks in advance,
Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 08:50 AM

Re: Warmoth Soloist Bodies & Necks

I have a Koa Soloist body, with a maple neck/Strat headstock. It's been used for probably close to a hundred shows, since I put it together, and I've been very happy with it.

I've heard people complaine about their fret work, but I can honestly say that at least in MY case, everything was fine. I was a hardcore Fender man for several years, and I'd put this guitar up against any high end production Fender. (Of course, that doesn't mean much, if you don't like Fender! )
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 09:18 AM

I have heard many people complain about sloppy work. Stuff like rough frets, sharp edges, and just general sloppiness. Dont get me wrong, I like the stuff they do, and for that "parts project" they are perfect. They sell some great stuff. But dont go expecting high-end production craftsmanship, cos you aint going to get it.

I have also heard stories of people having to re-drill certain parts and adjust certain parts that dont fit correctly. For example, a strat neck on a certain body may not fit perfectly.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 12:12 PM

I've heard the "fret issues" story like everyone else, but not from someone who actually had a fret issue; it's always been anecdotal. Warmoth is generally considered to be a very high quality vendor of necks and bodies, and the few Warmoth necks I've played were very nice to outstanding.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 12:26 PM

Right on, Jim. I've read plenty of stories online, but I've never actually seen a Warmoth neck with a problem.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 12:31 PM

I've had fret "walking" issues. But they were Warmoth made Yamaha Pacifica necks. I assume there shouldn't really be a difference, but there ya go.

Also, they note on their web site that they glue their frets now (I assume to address this issue); this wasn't the case 15 years ago.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys !!
As you can imagine I'm a bit concerned about some of these issues raised. A $300 dollar custom finished/spec'd soloist would be great but I'm not on the market for a $300 wall flower that I never pick up....
Perhaps I'll go back to the RG idea.....?

Ben
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 08:33 PM

U might want to try this site: http://usacustomguitars.com

Its run by ex-warmoth employees & I heard the quality is way ahead of warmoth; tho' I've never seen their products. But I plan to do a project soon wif their stuff....

Good luck.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 10:19 PM

Warmoth has good quality but its all based on fender specs. This limits what you can do with them however i have 3 guitars I built and they are awesome guitars!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 10:43 PM

Can you get them routed with the HSH pickup config and the Edge III or Floyd Rose trem? Will the Edge III or Floyd fit into the Fender spec body (the Warmoth Soloist)? Thanks!

Tags
floyd rose , floyd rose trem , maple neck , warmoth neck , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode