Warmoth Wizard vs Wizard II (current) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Warmoth Wizard vs Wizard II (current)

There is a Warmoth Wizard neck that's supposedly based on Ibanez Wizard 2. Here is the description (with picture attached):
Similar to: Ibanezģ Wizard II neck
Thickness at 1st Fret: .750" (that's around 19mm?)
Thickness at 12th Fret: .820"
The Wizard is a thin, flat shape that became popular in the 80's and remains so today. Easy access and speedy fretting define this shape.

Obviously it's slightly thicker than current Ibanez Prestige necks. My question is: how different is it from current Ibanez Prestige necks? I tried one and it was too flat and too think for me. Not by much, though, as I don't get along with thick necks either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wizard.jpg (27.6 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 09:30 PM

Re: Warmoth Wizard vs Wizard II (current)

unless you want some exotic wood neck replacement from warmoth, I don't see any reason why buying replacement neck from them.
especially if the neck is ibanez wizard II which flooded in the market.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 10:05 PM

Reviews: 2

The Warmoth has a little rounder C-shape to the back in comparison to the flatter D-shape of the WizII. Otherwise they're very similar. Nice neck to play on IMO. The one I played was a maple/maple 22-fret with jumbos.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
unless you want some exotic wood neck replacement from warmoth, I don't see any reason why buying replacement neck from them.
I am building my "partscaster" and I want a thin neck, that's why I'm considering Warmoth Wizard, but I definitely don't want an Ibanez neck because it's a bit too flat and too thin for me. But not by that much, but enough to be uncomfortable...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 04:50 AM

imo the warmoth neck for my tele (their standard neck) is a bit fat. ive got a rg 470 fmr and its a lot fatter than that. its fatter than my mexican tele neck or my us strat neck. if i was getting a warmoth i would go for their thinner option. other than the size they stuff they make is of an amazing quality.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
The reason to go with a warmoth neck over a used Ibanez is fret selection & heel. Warmoth's necks conform to standard fender specs. This makes them able to be used on tons of fender spec'd bodies. The 2nd is wood and fret options. For example you can buy a roasted maple neck with stainless 6105 frets.

I'm a big Ibanez guy and love their guitars. However, right now my number 1 is a warmoth parts soloist with an original floyd and a bridge Fred pickup with a switch to series parallel the coils.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 12:45 PM

One other thing I forgot was the availability of a compound radius fretboard.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 04:58 PM

The "Standard Thin" radius is essentially a modern Fender - I actually thought it was pretty comfy. Not Ibby thin by any means, but a good compromise between thinness and comfort.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 01:11 AM

Reviews: 120

The standard thin is pretty bloody good. Not a lot different to a wizard II, and very comfy.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomibanez View Post
The reason to go with a warmoth neck over a used Ibanez is fret selection & heel. Warmoth's necks conform to standard fender specs. This makes them able to be used on tons of fender spec'd bodies. The 2nd is wood and fret options. For example you can buy a roasted maple neck with stainless 6105 frets.

I'm a big Ibanez guy and love their guitars. However, right now my number 1 is a warmoth parts soloist with an original floyd and a bridge Fred pickup with a switch to series parallel the coils.
saying that the original wizard shape is my 'home', but I also find the comfort of ESP M-II neck, which rounder radius and narrower at nut.

that made me considering to try fender shape neck ( rounder radius such as 205mm, narrower nut below 42mm), but 24 frets. any warmoth neck you recommend for this?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 11:35 AM

I would say try the Jack-1 style wizard compound radius with the 24 fret option. The body you use must be setup to accept a 24 fret overhang neck. This means the front pickup is moved back. The reason I say to use the Jack-1 neck is because it has the standard gibson (just like Ibanez) truss adjustment at the top of the neck as opposed to the heal/ side ajustment.

Tags
wamoth , wizard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode