Warranty question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Warranty question

So I went into a Guitar Center and ordered a s570DXQ and had it delivered to my house about 3 months ago. About a month ago i noticed some fret buzz on the low E and A on the first 4 frets. Not bad buzz, very soft buzz. I wanted to get some new pickups so I ordered some and took the guitar to a local guitar shop to have the pickups installed and to do a setup on it.

When I went to pick it up the guy told me he couldn't do a setup because it needed a $150 fret job. He said he adjusted the truss rod the best he could and left it at that.

I am not really sure of my options here. I bought an Ibanez case and have kept the guitar in the case when not in use in a climate controlled room.

I want to get a second opinion but the other guitar tech locally has a 3 week wait.

So I have some questions:

#1: Did I void my warranty by having new pickups installed by a local luthier?

#2: Should I contact GC and try to go down the warranty path if I didn't already void it?

#3: Should I wait and get a second opinion?

#4: Anyone else go through anything similar or have advice?

Thanks in advance!

Also, I had a Dimarzio Breed bridge, True Velvet and PAF pro installed and it made this guitar come alive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 01:08 PM

Re: Warranty question

What is exactly wrong with it ? High frets ? Did the frets lift up out of the board ? Not sure why it would need a full fret job .
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

It probably needed a fret level. Still, take it back to GC and see what they'll do for you.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 02:11 PM

I wonder if the Ibanez "Lifetime" warranties from the 70's still hold true.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloanthebone View Post
I am not really sure of my options here. I bought an Ibanez case and have kept the guitar in the case when not in use in a climate controlled room.

I want to get a second opinion but the other guitar tech locally has a 3 week wait.

So I have some questions:

#1: Did I void my warranty by having new pickups installed by a local luthier?

#2: Should I contact GC and try to go down the warranty path if I didn't already void it?

#3: Should I wait and get a second opinion?

#4: Anyone else go through anything similar or have advice?
If you had the pickups replaced, I'm pretty sure the warranty's over. Check with other members. Anyways, here's my similar story:

I bought one two weeks ago as well (same model) and was in a similar situation (Canadian here, bought at Long and McQuade).

The upper frets (12 to 24) were badly dressed and had to be levelled (there even were marks on the frets themselves).

You have two options:

- Send it back ASAP (and either get a refund or wait for a new one).

- Shop around and get the frets levelled (my tech did it for 50$, so shop around).

I'm not sure what are state laws/federal laws about returning products in the US, but here it's 30 days. Either way, once Guitar Centre has no liability anymore, options will decrease. While Ibanez has a one-year warranty in the US, it seems they are pretty slow to do anything - it could take months before they give you an answer.
If you're patient and really want only this model, I'd return to GC and send it back and wait for a new one - heck, it could take a few times until you have one with frets that are ok.

Mine had lots of buzzing in the upper register, but with the frets levelled, it plays great...
I agree we shouldn't have to pay for this, but let's be honest: no one will do it for free as frets rarely are covered under warranty. The best your store can do is replace it with a new one... (and results will vary).

Wanna have a laugh? My guitar came with no warranty card (or any info for that matter). Guess Americans are blessed. I couldn't find any clear info on warranty outside the US on the Canadian website. Lovely jubbely.

Last edited by Voice Of Reason; 10-31-2010 at 11:22 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Secret View Post
I wonder if the Ibanez "Lifetime" warranties from the 70's still hold true.
Lol. Let's send them all back at the same time and see.

Guess the current one year warranty says a lot...

Last edited by Voice Of Reason; 10-31-2010 at 11:04 PM.

Tags
warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode