Washburn N4 - My current fixation. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Washburn N4 - My current fixation.

Having been listening to a lot of Extreme/ Mourning Widows lately, I'm starting to get the urge for an N4 again. But I'd like some more info first of all. What were the different models made, the maple mahogany, the yummy paduak, the traditional alder. What about the finishes? I've seen a seafoam green one, black ones... etc.

So anyone have a complete run down, or know of a site that could tell me. Or should I just run to Washburn?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 05:32 PM

Washburn N4

Wasn't there a Korina one? *I seem to remember seeing one, but I could be insane. *(very likely) *:biggrin:
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 05:52 PM

Washburn N4

I do know that the seafoam green and black ones with a Strat-type trem were the crappy Indonesian N1's. *As for the decent N4's, I believe the Padauk and Alder ones were the regular production models. *I think there was a nice Swamp Ash model for awhile too. *I've seen some interesting finishes come from Washburn on a few as well-I have seen both sunburst and black alder models, but I don't think those were widely offered finishes. *
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 06:48 PM

Washburn N4

They also did a limited run of super top end N4's of 150!!!!!! with certificate.

Worth hunting one out if you can.

I have it in a magazine somewhere, I'll try and search it out if you like

Cheers
Col
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Washburn N4

Quote:
vaijem777 on 12:52 pm on April 9, 2002
I do know that the seafoam green and black ones with a Strat-type trem were the crappy Indonesian N1's. *. *I've seen some interesting finishes come from Washburn on a few as well-I have seen both sunburst and black alder models, but I don't think those were widely offered finishes. *
I know it's the finishes and years that confuse me the most. I've only ever seen 1 seafoam green N4. including matching headstock it was on ebay for sale a long while ago, I printed out the auction but stupidly never saved a Jpg of it

I've seen more of the black alder ones than any other painted ones. And just one stained black swamp ash with black hardware.

There were also mahogany/quilted maple one done in about 97, that came in cherry and black sunburst.

And the Ltd edition Korina ones of which there were 75 I believe. all signed and numbered, natural finish with gold hardware.

And Col, yep I'd appreciate any info at all

Maybe I should register N4site.com
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 09:52 PM

Washburn N4

I personally owned the swamp ash N4 for a few years. Fantastic neck, I loved the cutaway. The N4 came in Paduak, Alder, and Swamp Ash, at the time that I bought mine.

I played the paduak one (the real one before they started staining the alder ones that color) and it was as heavy as a coffee table, but sounded beautiful.

I really miss that guitar, but the trem was a nightmare. I think I got a lemon of a trem, cuz that sucker would not stay in tune at all. I'm kinda thinking of getting another one someday in the future, but I'd like to find one used, seeing as how they seem to go for a reasonable price. I'd like to find one with the Feiten tuning thing.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 07:11 AM

Washburn N4

for those who think the N2 is crap:

i got a used N2, Korea, TRS-like trem, no Stephen's Extended cutaway but... INCREDIBLY FANTASTIC!!!
she plays ****** great, either neck & bridge pick-ups, and the neck is something unbelievable! its pretty fast and comfy, with fantastic radiused board and great frets.

the Bill Lawrence is incredibly hot and powerfull, and the stock Washburn at the neck is great, especially for blue-ish warm solos.
the balance is perfect, the body is super light and handy, and the switch is in the right place, to me.
obviously the trem is crap. that's why i'm searching out for a used original/Schaller Floyd.

just a tip:
put a retainer-bar on that headstock!

that babe rocks, for the price.
my €1.00
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 07:16 AM

Washburn N4

Jono,
btw, where can i find some Mourning Widows stuff?
they aren't available in Italy, of course, and i'm the greatest Nuno's fan here around...

can anyone help me?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Washburn N4

I got the mourning widows album "Furnished Souls For Rent" on import into the UK from Japan. I believe it has just recieved a US release and might be available from online record stores like CDNow.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 09:32 AM

Washburn N4

Jono,

You can get a relic version of the N4 a la ESP Kirk Hammet relic. Not my thing but check it out anyways:

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/w...hburn/nuno.htm

Matt
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 10:57 AM

Washburn N4

There was also the 10th Anniversary N4 that they made 100 of...they were only made for overseas distribution though. *

Saw some sort of "limited" Custom Shop N4 at the NAMM Show as well. *It was basically identical to Nuno's old alder N4...looked like it even had some wear and sweat stains. *Kind of a 'relic' effect. *Not sure if it was another Anniversary model or what. *The price was a bit above the Padauk anniversary model I think.

(Edited by vaijem777 at 11:15 am on April 10, 2002)
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 01:19 PM

Washburn N4

I think there was another anniversary model that had dark purple finish with little thunders in it, made of Southern Ash and signed by Nuno. Iīve got a friend here in Brazil that owns one of these. He says that they made only 75 worldwide and that his is the only one here in Brazil. Iīve never seen any N4 like that, so I believe him. It came with the OHSC and itīs lighter than my teacherīs N4, made of Alder (Thatīs strange, because Ash is usually heavier than Alder). Its neck just fits my hand so perfecly, I want to steal it from him . Is the N4 worth it?

Iīll post some pictures soon.

(Edited by LucasKotzen at 1:22 pm on April 10, 2002)
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 01:23 PM

Washburn N4

That sounds like the 10th Anniversary model with the Padauk stain-as far as I know, that's the only anniversary model that's been released.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 01:28 PM

Washburn N4

Quote:
vaijem777 on 1:23 pm on April 10, 2002
That sounds like the 10th Anniversary model with the Padauk stain-as far as I know, that's the only anniversary model that's been released.
Itīs not Paduak stain, itīs dar gloss purple (Itīs even ugly). Iīll post some pictures and then you check the authenticity .

(Edited by LucasKotzen at 1:37 pm on April 10, 2002)
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 05:29 PM

Reviews: 2
Washburn N4

I thought the ones with the gold trem were the Korina ones

I seen a sunburst with maple fretboard once but it looked hideous. The best one IMHO is the paduak then alder/swamp ash

Tags
custom shop , fixed bridge , gold trem , guitar shop , kirk hammet , maple fret , maple fretboard , production model , quilted maple , reversed headstock , swamp ash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode