Washburn N4 pickup dilemma - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Washburn N4 pickup dilemma

Hey all. I bought a Washburn N4 a while back, from Boogie Street. Its a Padauk N4 with all black hardware. Pretty guitar, but goddamn does it sound like poo. Ive tried no less than 5 pickups in the bridge slot, as the 59' in the neck always sounded fine. I tried a Duncan Distortion, BKP Warpig, Lundgren M, and both EMG 81 and 85. It just sounds too shrill, like the pickup is mounted right up against the bridge.

Anyways Ive since sold it to my friend, and he wants to replace the EMG's I put in it. What would be a viable option to dumb down the treble-ness but yet still have a powerful tone?

Also could the Schaller Floyd be the culprit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 07:36 PM

Re: Washburn N4 pickup dilemma

The Schaller Floyd is warmer than an OFR. Also if a Warpig doesn't darken up the sound of a guitar nothing will. What was your rig? A paddy shouldn't even be as bright as a regular alder N4. If it were me I would have just put a Bill n' Becky XL500 in it, but it seems like there is another issue as a Warpig should have had monstrous lows and mids with less high end treble. The Lundgren and an 81 would have just been bright. Maybe something lower output like in the 10K hot PAF range. Like a WCR Godwood?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

My rig was a 6505+ thru Engl 4x12. But regardless of what I played thru it sounded this way..
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 10:27 PM

Reviews: 11

my guess is the wiring. i dont know much about this stuff but thats the only real thing i can think of
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 09:57 PM

Padauk is a dense, bright wood, so something that brings out the lows and mids would help.

That being said, I have a B&B L500XL in the bridge of my '93 paddy, and it sounds pretty good.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
Padauk is a dense, bright wood, so something that brings out the lows and mids would help.

That being said, I have a B&B L500XL in the bridge of my '93 paddy, and it sounds pretty good.
Nothing has more lows and mids than a Warpig and he said that didn't help. I have to guess wiring issue as well. Like you said it is a bright wood, but it shouldn't be that bright especially with a super dark 22k pickup in it.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:01 PM

I put a BKP holydiver in my Davies.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 09:25 PM

Reviews: 2

I have a 1992 N4, and I pulled out the so called Bill Lawrence bridge pickup and ordered the real deal Bill and Becky XL500. All I can say is wow,,,,,massive tone and harmonics. This is the pickup Nuno actually uses, not the knock off it comes with.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchfan6 View Post
I have a 1992 N4, and I pulled out the so called Bill Lawrence bridge pickup and ordered the real deal Bill and Becky XL500. All I can say is wow,,,,,massive tone and harmonics. This is the pickup Nuno actually uses, not the knock off it comes with.
Not that it matters for the OP, but Nuno actually uses both models of the 500. Nuno (much like Dime) never struck me as very technical about what he was playing, and probably had no idea there were two different pups with the same name.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 06:40 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
Not that it matters for the OP, but Nuno actually uses both models of the 500. Nuno (much like Dime) never struck me as very technical about what he was playing, and probably had no idea there were two different pups with the same name.

Could be, but the Bill and Becky XL500 pickup sure doesn't sound the same. To me , it was a drastic improvement.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:26 AM

Reviews: 57

I much prefer the B&B L500XL tonally. Anyway, on thing to understand with the L500 pickups is that they are extremely sensitive and responsive to height adjustments. I start with Bill Lawrence's guide for setting them up. Approximately two nickels stacked on top of each other distance between the low E and the pickup, Approximately 1 nickle distance between the high E and pickup. Then adjust to taste a little.

They sound slightly different in every guitar, but the worst thing one can do is just jack it up so it's as close as possible to the strings.

That said, sounds like you've tried some other pickups anyway and it was still awful. I'd get the wiring and pot values checked out. Once that's sorted get a B&B L500XL in it.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchfan6 View Post
Could be, but the Bill and Becky XL500 pickup sure doesn't sound the same. To me , it was a drastic improvement.
I would have to agree... I much prefer the B&B version myself.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 07:33 PM

I agree as well. The real Bill Lawrence is a pickup genious. That Wjackman or whatever the hell his name is a f'ing ripoff.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 06:58 AM

Reviews: 34

This sounds weird. I have a Paduak RG that I built and it really isn't shrill at all. In fact I would describe it as dark. It also has a Schaller Floyd as well so I don't think that is the issue.

I'm not being funny, but are you sure it is Paduak? I know some of those guitars were all paduak, and there were other woods used on the N4's. Weren't some stained with a paduak finish but made from Alder?

I don't suppose you could post pics and sound clips?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

It has a grain similar to mahogany, however, one thing that caught my eye was a spot on the Stephens cutaway that looked blonde, like it was stained and someone missed a spot.

Anyways, besides looks, the guitar from top to bottom was a disappointment. Its felt cheap like an indo guitar. The "ebony" fretboard looked like rosewood. The guitar was never setup out of Boogie Street, and pinch harmonics were non existent. Pretty sad for $1700. I had it refretted with stainless wire which mildly improved playability, but the tone sucked. Im pretty good with wiring and pots etc, and I can assure you its not wiring. Any ways the guitar is in Ct and Im in Fl. I told him to try a Tone Zone.

Can someone educate me on the difference between the L500 and a Bill and Becky?

Tags
padaukn4 , washburn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode