Washburn N6 - comments please! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Washburn N6 - comments please!

I just put a NEW '06 Washburn N6 (black body, maple neck) on layaway online (hard to buy w/out time terms on a meager teacher pay) and is basically a GAS attack that got the better of me. I submitted an offer for a couple hundred less that the shelf price and they accepted it (Warpdrive Music) on standard layaway terms. I have my Gibson Explorer (4th one in 3yrs) on the auction block to help fund this new guitar and will probably buy another Explorer down the road. I'm not going to miss the Explorer as much as I am excited about the N6.
I've wanted the N4 for a looooong time but always worried the ash body wouldn't have the tone I want so when Washburn brought out the N6 last year I've been GASSing ever since I read the specs and saw it.
The N6 has an alder body and a H/S/S configuration and I really like the look of the pickguard so this model is being highly favored over the N4 for my tatse although I do love the look of the N4.
I'm buying it without playing it and have actually never played one so if anyone has played one or owns one - please pass any info about it that you can. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 02:17 PM

Re: Washburn N6 - comments please!

How much? I've got a Black N4. Too be honest, I'm not sure what wood was used. It's either Alder or Paduck. The reason I think it may be Paduck is one area is worn (from picking) and it's a red color underneath, but the grain seems to be more along the lines of Alder.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

i think all the N4's are ash with limited runs of other woods so maybe. i'll bet the black looks cool on it.
how do you like it? what do you play it thru?

anyone own an N6?
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 03:47 PM

Could be ash....not sure....shame on me.

Too be honest, I don't play it much. I've been wondering whether I should sell it or not. I mostly bought it because I'm a huge Nuno fan.

It looks ok in black but I think I would have prefered a natural simply because.....well, that's what Nuno plays all of the time.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

The N4s are normally Ash these days, the Relic is Alder and there are special editions in Paduak every now and then.

The N4 has also been availalbe in mahogany (with and without Mourning Widows inlay) Korina (75 examples - one on **** now) and mahogany/flame or quilted maple.

I've seen black ones in both Ash and Alder but never in Paduak (so far)
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 05:57 PM

I recently saw a review of one here in Germany and it was quite good. Does it have the Buzz Feiten tuning system?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 06:40 PM

i have a paduak one (n4), it sounds really badass with the bill lawrence L500 in the bridge. you'd know if you had a paduak guitar though, they are heavier than hell. my paduak n4 weighs as much as my les paul studio ('91). but jono is right, if you watch ****, you can find custom n4s made of all sorts of wood types with different finishes (i've seen a tobacco sunburst which looked gorgeous).

another (albiet more expensive) route you could take is to have washburn custom make an n4 for you. i originally considered this because i do love the n4 a lot, but really didn't dig the floating bridge. i talked to this guy who was a dealer in chicago and they were willing to do a lot of different options (except for 24 frets). my dream n4 was going to have a gotoh hardtail, swamp ash body and my own custom choice of pickups. i was almost ready to push the go button on it...until i found out about ekg and realized i'd rather have an rg body with those features...for about $1000 less. lol.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 11:57 PM

I have always liked the way the original N4 looked.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 12:10 AM

[/smartass on]

Its Padauk , not paduak or paduck

[/smartass off]
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj View Post
[/smartass on]

[/smartass off]

Regards

André

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 01:15 PM
Gex

I love the N4, never played one though.

I've played a N1 and N2, and both were cool. The N1 was ok, but the N2 was amazing, I'm trying to score one off **** right now.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gex View Post
I love the N4, never played one though.

I've played a N1 and N2, and both were cool. The N1 was ok, but the N2 was amazing, I'm trying to score one off **** right now.
You should consider looking for an N3 Nextar. Uses the same neck design as the N4 but the guitar is an import (Korea I believe).
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj View Post
[/smartass on]

[/smartass off]
Typo's happen to all of us
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

not finding much about the N6 - very few and far between are people posting about it.
i imagine it to be close to ther alder bodied relic so i'll check for some info on that model.
i'm excited and can't wait to play it but now the wait will be a killer........
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 02:19 PM

The N6 is a lot less popular than the N4. I attribute it primarily to the ugly pickguard.

Tags
alder bodied , alder body , bridge pup , buzz feiten , buzz feiten tuning system , custom shop , custom shop guitar , feiten tuning system , les paul , les paul studio , maple neck , quilted maple , strat style , strat style guitar , swamp ash , swamp ash body , tobacco sunburst , tuning system , usa custom shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode