Washburn Steve Stevens - anyone have info - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Washburn Steve Stevens - anyone have info

i was just curious to know if anyone knew the scoop on the Steve Steven guitar fro *washburn.. is it a rare guitar and what are thay worth ????

scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 06:27 PM

Washburn Steve Stevens

Depends which model.

I owned a SS40 which whild having a superb neck had nothing else going for it. *The Washburn floyd copy was terrible, rusted after about a week [gold peeled off], finish chipped if you so much as looked at it! yet that neck was damn nice. *They are not worth a great deal now, in the Uk they got for £200 [$350].

The SS80 is another guitar altogether, SD pickups [2 JB's], Schaller hardware, stronger finish, better quality body wood, same great neck but also rarer. *I think the last one I saw in the UK went for around £600 [$900], and they are worth that IMO. *The only colour in both models in black unless you find a CS SS100 which has freaky Frankenstein graphics as seen in all the Washburn SS ads from around 1993.

If you can get a SS80 at a good price I would recommend it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 06:29 PM

Washburn Steve Stevens

I played one when they first came out not to impressed with it the neck was like a baseball bat no kidding not very comfortable to play did not like at all
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 06:45 PM

Washburn Steve Stevens

Nope its not a thing Ibanez kinda neck, but its a super comfy medium C size, I like thicker necks so thats probably why I digged it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Washburn Steve Stevens

the one i found at a pawn shop is a red one?? any info there?? i thought they were all black too... and its not a refin..

scott
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 04:15 AM

Washburn Steve Stevens

Red!!!!!

Are you sure its not a Hamer Steve Stevens model???

If not the look at the neckplate, it will tell you what model it is on their, how much is it??

Andy
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Washburn Steve Stevens

Yup!! Its a red one.. with the larger lettered Washburn logo with Steve Steven in small print under it... cant say if they are abilone inlay dots or not... and *dont remember a model no. on the neck plate. I'll look again when i get to that part of town, I'm pretty sure there was just a serial stamped on the plate and o model #??... i think they were asking 350.00 ot so for it...

scott
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 12:50 PM

Washburn Steve Stevens

The easiest way to tell which model it is to look at the trem, if it says Washburn on the top its the SS40 [avoid], if its Schaller its the SS80 or SS100, Looking at an old Washburn catalogue it was only offered in Black so I reckon it has had a respray.

If its a SS80 or SS100 I would certainly try it. *It is not likely to ever be a huge financial investment but it would be a good playing investment.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2001, 11:32 PM

Washburn Steve Stevens

I worked at Washburn in wonderful Mundelein, Illinois, and I have seen a USA made SS in Candy Apple Red, so they do exist. *Without seeing the one your talking about, I can't tell if it is the "nice" one or not. Washburn, like many guitar companies, didn't always keep track of all their models very well. *If you like the guitar, then go for it but if you're on the fence, my advice is to stay away. *I worked in the service department for a while and saw more then one of the "nice" Candy Apple Red SS models come back because the red finish completely peeled, revealing the gold layer underneath. *So check the finish carefully and be wary of any major chips. *If you have any further questions, you can email me direct at [email protected]. *Good luck!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 02:11 PM

Thumbs up Re: Washburn Steve Stevens - anyone have info

I ordered my Steve Stevens SS80 Washburn guitar in Pennsylvania from the Washburn custom shop.Originally it was to come with a patent leather case as Steve was saying in interviews.My guitar is the standard black with gold hardware,not tremelo cover.I had a lot of problems with the Schaller Floyd Rose tremelo.The metal had been cast soft, the bridge pieces would move around out of tune when played,not good.So i replaced it with a Original Floyd Rose sold by Fender at that time.It plays perfectly now.Also had placed wooden hollowed out dowels to connect the pickups to the body for good sound transfer.My serial no is 930385.I guess made in 1993.It is agreat playing guitar with the Seymour Duncan JB;s,the neck pickup sounds very deep and almost jazzy sounding.I have never seen another one that was a real SS80,almost all on e-bay are SS40's.The SS100 Frankenstein graphic guitar I've only seen Steve playing.When he was with the Vince Neil Band he played the guitar on the album and some videos,but a bootleg video i have shows him playing the EVH musicman models.All the reissue guitars like the EVH Charvel 'art' guitar,the Performance Warren DeMartini reissue,these guitars are not the tone monster that the Washburn is .Do you know how many were produced?
Thanks
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 11:40 AM

Re: Washburn Steve Stevens - anyone have info

Wow I never knew that Steve Stevens had his own guitar models at one point... but he's a hell of a guitar player.

I'm hoping we get many more Bozzio Levin Stevens albums (and soon too heh)
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5
Wow I never knew that Steve Stevens had his own guitar models at one point... but he's a hell of a guitar player.

I'm hoping we get many more Bozzio Levin Stevens albums (and soon too heh)
Steve Stevens also had a signature model with EBMM.

Regards

André

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi

Regards

André
Never knew that either! :P

At least he gets some recognition... but not nearly what he deserves.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 06:53 PM

Quote:

Regards

André
Don't think so to be honest. He's an endorsee, but so is Mr. Vai...for the strings. Mr. Stevens plays a lot of EVHs and Axis's but no signature guitar.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 07:56 PM
rgr

Quote:
He had one with Hamer, but never with EBMM that I've ever heard of.

Tags
candy apple red , custom shop , evh charvel , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , floyd rose tremelo , neck pickup , neck plate , playing guitar , schaller floyd rose , seymour duncan , signature guitar , steve stevens , thicker necks , tone monster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode