We poor 7 stringers... - In every sense of the word - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

We poor 7 stringers... - In every sense of the word

The 7 string is all over the place. I hated it at first, because I didn't like Korn, and nu metal in general. I have since found that there are some good nu metal bands out there, and it's all ice cream, as they say.
When low budget 7 strings first appeared, I knew that the 7 string is the pink Kramer of this era. That said, I like pink Kramers.
I play alot of Carcass and Type O Negative type music, and I'm still a bass player at heart, so tuning to B was almost a requirement, then I realized, "Hey, I don't know anything, so I won't have to re-learn anything, and I could have my high E back!"
I owe 300 on my UV777BK now, and the Universe(s) will probably stick around, but soon the 7 string will be, as someone else here said, like lefty guitars, few, far between, and relatively expensive. But, like pink Kramers, they will be available used for cheap. I can hardly wait until all the clearance 7620s Evil Guitar Center sold recently are at Music Go Round for $400. Ah, back up guitars, and alternate tunings galore.....
All thanks to the people who tag onto the current trend in guitar, the same type of people who bought up the pink Kramers. I love the cycle of used gear, and belated G.A.S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 11:19 AM

We poor 7 stringers...

I disagree, I think 7-string guitars will be around for a long long time. *It's kind of like 5-string basses, they took a while to catch on, but now they're very popular. *In fact, even though I'm a guitarist, if I ever bought a bass, it would be a 5-string. *I just need the added flexibility. *I'm 16 and I can tell you that there are 5 groups of music fans out there right now at my age group. *There are the pop fans, the rap/hiphop fans, the punk/blink 182 fans, the fans with actual taste that listen to Korn/Tool/people who are doing something original, and the people who like other types of music or a mixture of them. *I fit into the last group. *I like some punk, but as a bit of influence on my music. *I take music like Korn, Vai, Rage Against the Machine, Blink 182, Tool, Metallica, and even Queen, Genesis, and Bon Jovi and mix it all together, taking bits of them all to mix into my style. *My favorite band right now is an independent band around my home town that are a couple years older than me. *They're influences are Nirvana, Rage Against the Machine, and Dream Theater. *And they all show. *They play the kind of music I look for: *Heavy "Korn-style" rhythm with Vai/Dream Theater lead. *This is what will become the big thing in the future I hope. *Just my $0.02. *
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 02:19 PM

Reviews: 12
We poor 7 stringers...

Certainly, some guitar players are intimidated of that extra low B string; one factor as to how well these guitars sell in the market. It takes a certain attitude and style to "master" a 7 string and make it sound different.
Sadly, owning a 7 string nowadays is related in the same sentence as Korn. *I'm not a big Korn fan but I give 'em credit for expanding the 7 string market in general. *I don't quite understand that owning a 7 string essentially means you're a Korn fan (or a nu-metal fan), since Korn is presumed to be one of the few bands who uses 'em exclusively. Sure, they are other bands out there who've used their 7 string live and recordings, ranging from Meshuggah, Morbid Angel, Fear Factory, etc. Sadly, Ibanez doesn't give these bands the appropriate recognition they deserve. Ibanez's reincarnation of the 7 string guitar (in it's RG format) has always been marketed for and appealed to Korn fans; NOT Morbid Angel fans, NOT Meshuggah fans, neither <insert your favorite band> fans. It is perhaps during this reincarnation, other companies started to offer 7 strings as well, flooding the market with "Ibanez 7 string" copies. This is a case when surplus exceeds demand. This will eventually cease low/lower-budget 7 strings, especially "Ibanez 7 string" copies.
The Universe series is still marketed to a much wider audience, Vai fans and collectors alike and still continues to hold the "Godfather of all 7 strings" title. The guitar screams Vai no matter what you do to it, but it took a certain post to discuss Vai-ism vs. owning his guitars. My point is, just because you own a certain band/person's (signature series) guitar doesn't necessarily mean YOU have to play the same style they're playing.
To me, if a 7 string is limited and viewed as an instrument to play heavy power chords within the "nu-metal" sound, the instrument will not be around for long. It is relatively a "new" instrument but it doesn't necessarily mean it's for "nu-metal".
The RG2027X is a very ground-breaking instrument but i don't think there's a big audience for 'em since i don't think a major band like Korn (or Vai) would have a use for 'em (therefore its discontinuation). It is a very promising instrument for those who want to play a 7 string without being limited to the "nu-metal" sound. That's why it's next on my wishlist
I've been playing more than 8 years. I have a wide variety of influences ranging from classical, alternative (i.e. Tool, Soundgarden, etc.), death metal, and among other things (Vai of course) but "the Korn-style" grooves hasn't influenced my playing in any way.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

We poor 7 stringers...

Quote:
Quote: from Two hands31 on 12:19 pm on June 23, 2001
I disagree, I think 7-string guitars will be around for a long long time. *It's kind of like 5-string basses, they took a while to catch on, but now they're very popular. *In fact, even though I'm a guitarist, if I ever bought a bass, it would be a 5-string. *I just need the added flexibility. *I'm 16 and I can tell you that there are 5 groups of music fans out there right now at my age group. *There are the pop fans, the rap/hiphop fans, the punk/blink 182 fans, the fans with actual taste that listen to Korn/Tool/people who are doing something original, and the people who like other types of music or a mixture of them. *I fit into the last group. *I like some punk, but as a bit of influence on my music. *I take music like Korn, Vai, Rage Against the Machine, Blink 182, Tool, Metallica, and even Queen, Genesis, and Bon Jovi and mix it all together, taking bits of them all to mix into my style. *My favorite band right now is an independent band around my home town that are a couple years older than me. *They're influences are Nirvana, Rage Against the Machine, and Dream Theater. *And they all show. *They play the kind of music I look for: *Heavy "Korn-style" rhythm with Vai/Dream Theater lead. *This is what will become the big thing in the future I hope. *Just my $0.02. *
Yeah, and Ibanez just recently released the metalflake green 570, and Kramer's back, though not nearly as big. Flashy guitars are coming back, but they fell out for a while. All I was saying is people who jump on bandwagons sell thir gear in a few years when the evil industry stops pushing it, and then I buy their gear cheap.
I play noise-grindcore-death-jazz(ok, so the jazz will come later, but I'm looking to learn it and incorporate it) with bizzare image themes(our bass player wears a balze orange suit and sunglasses, under the name Agent Orange, I dress glam-visual, and sing death metal, etc all contrasting wierdnesses). I'm totally into using different styles and such. My favorite band is Mr Bungle for crying out loud.
I was mainly talking about trend in gear and booms of brands. i.e. Everyone wanted a Jaguar or Jazzmaster in 1993, but then the demad died away, but now they've found their place in the market. The 7 will go away soon, but hopefully, and likely, not for long.

PS, I really need to stop assuming people that read my posts know the reasons I post them, like they know me or something. People who've known me for 10 years have no Idea what I'm talking about half the time.... Well, at least i know my faults...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 12:53 AM

We poor 7 stringers...

All you had to say was your favorite band was Mr. Bungle, then we'd understand
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 11:57 PM

We poor 7 stringers...

The 7 string market has bottomed out, to a certain extent. *Korn is on its way out, and other bands have abandoned the 7, such as Limp Bizkit. *My friend, who owns a local music store, sold 50 7620's in '99. *He sold 25 total 7's last year, and so far this year, none. *In fact, he still has a 7620 still hanging from '99. *Walk in any GC, and you'll see tons of 7421's and 76/7420's. *Even the Ibanez rep I talked to said that dealers just don't want them anymore. *The fad is gone. *Which means, the market will go back to the way it was, with the true players wanting them, and not all the nu-metal kids. *Maybe then the only 7's Ibanez will make will be the UV, and hopefully a return of the 7620. *(The 1077XL is cool too, but its more or less a bari 7620 with an extra pup). *
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 12:03 AM

Reviews: 5
We poor 7 stringers...

I think what you'll see is a general readjustment. *Much like stocks become over valued in a buyers market, 7strings became over-valued also.

The good news is that even when genre's go out of style, their innovations remain. *Even though the age of dive bomb whammy dives is nearly 2 decades back now, the Floyd Rose remains a staple of modern guitar.

Even after the nu-metal trend runs it's course, I think you'll see the innovations associated with it remain. *Baritone guitars and 7s will probably remain. *
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 12:29 AM

We poor 7 stringers...

I hope you're right. *I remember the first time I saw the Universe, before I even began playing guitar. *I was 14, and I was so confused why a guitar would have 7 strings, instead of just 6. *But I knew one thing, and that was I wanted to have that guitar, because it was different than any other guitar in that catalog, and I wanted to find out what the extra string was for. *I hope future generations have a chance to experience that. *
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 07:03 AM

We poor 7 stringers...

I remember that one too! It was the coolest guitar I had ever seen, and then I spent 7 years thinking I'd never be able to get one, and then did... (the green did it as well...).

The innovation of the 7 string will remain, it won't get discontinued, just like the floyd rose system has stuck around. There are enough people who have played/are playing 7strings out there that there will be a market for them. But they did need time to catch on.

I mean, even though I am not a huge fan of korn, they did tap into a whole new thing and used a new "tool" to go out and do something that was different. Sometimes it does take a while for stuff to catch on, which is a shame really, because a lot of innovative ideas get lost that way, because not enough people know about them, and the people who tyhought them up see that it doesn't sell and give up on it. I think it essentially takes one new exciting player to sell something to a market, as only then will anyone really go "that's cool, I want that sound!". And yes, when that fad is over, there will be a lot of guitars floating about that noone wants, which, as far as I am concerned is cool.

hmmm...seem to have gone of on one a bit...

anyway, that's my thought....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

We poor 7 stringers...

...and my basic point as well.

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , baritone guitar , death metal , floyd rose , guitar players , limp bizkit , local music store , morbid angel , music store , playing guitar , string bass , string guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode