A weird direction for an RGA121. Corvette Fans? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

A weird direction for an RGA121. Corvette Fans?

I've been thinking lately of modifying my RGA to make it a bit more visually arresting and functional for me. I prefer guitars with locking trems, and have been leaning more and more towards maple fingerboards lately. I also happen to love the Corvette Grand Sport circa 1996. I mocked this up using V-RG and Photoshop.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 06:56 PM

Re: A weird direction for an RGA121. Corvette Fans?

odd is a word that comes to mind
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Let me provide a frame of reference here. I wanted the guitar to basically ape the look of this car:

Matty, I whole-heartedly agree that it'd be an odd looking guitar, but that's what makes me dig it. I have a hog-pile of fairly normal looking guitars and really want one that just doesn't look like any of them.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Dee

I think it looks good.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 10:03 PM

I like the colors, but that'll be alot of routing to change over to a locking trem on an RGA.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 10:52 PM

Yeah it'd be way easier to just get an RG and repaint it. Or just get a custom body made. The colour scheme is ok though. But personally, I'm not really a fan of painted carved tops. I much rather a nice burst/stain. If it were me I'd just repaint an RG.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 01:49 AM

Talking Re: A weird direction for an RGA121. Corvette Fans?

But does it have an LT4 in it?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw_lefty View Post
I like the colors, but that'll be alot of routing to change over to a locking trem on an RGA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinMmmmm View Post
Yeah it'd be way easier to just get an RG and repaint it. Or just get a custom body made. The colour scheme is ok though. But personally, I'm not really a fan of painted carved tops. I much rather a nice burst/stain. If it were me I'd just repaint an RG.
Good points all, but well... ok. Here's were I have to "hippie out" a bit.

I tend to be a little OCD about having "surplus" bodies or necks around. Plus, this guitar's got sentiment and undeniable mojo. I'm fully aware that it'll end up costing me at least an RG5xx in terms of dough, but I've got a ton of guitars and don't necessarily want another. I also like the idea of having an Edge-equipped RGA (something that is not currently available to non-endorsing artist folk.) Plus, it is the carved top on the guitar that inspired this decision as the lines and proportions have reminded me of traditional sports car styling since I first laid eyes on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindcrime1204 View Post
But does it have an LT4 in it?
Not this one, no. I find the LT4 to have killer low-end response, but as the body is mahogany it's already "torquey" enough. The modern LSx motors are a little more screamy, so I was thinking LS7. 7000rpm redline.

Last edited by markyperfection; 03-21-2008 at 02:18 AM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 08:17 AM

Last edited by the399; 03-21-2008 at 08:58 AM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 08:17 AM

Should have a V8 logo at the 12th fret or something
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 08:18 AM

I have a set of Black Grand Sport wheels if you really want to pimp it out. Also you should put an 8 ball shifter with a overdrive button (for boost) in place of the 5 way switch.

Last edited by the399; 03-21-2008 at 09:01 AM.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the399 View Post
Also you should put an 8 ball shifter with a overdrive button (for boost) in place of the 5 way switch.
I donno man, I was thinking about an underdrive instead. Just so I can sweeten it up a little bit before I kick on the satellite reverb.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 09:38 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: A weird direction for an RGA121. Corvette Fans?

Not sure...

It's not my cup of tea, but I own a Kramer Gorky Park balalaika guitar so who am I? It did look better with the posted pic of the car
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 09:52 AM

I have a stockpile of NOS 9 volt batterys from the war effort if you wanted to get a truly vintage sound for a mid boost. As you know, it would have to be hand wired point to point using the finest solder and flux scavenged from vintage PAFs. Just give me a shout if you need help, I'm here for you.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the399 View Post
I have a stockpile of NOS 9 volt batterys from the war effort if you wanted to get a truly vintage sound for a mid boost. As you know, it would have to be hand wired point to point using the finest solder and flux scavenged from vintage PAFs. Just give me a shout if you need help, I'm here for you.
I'll definitely be barking up your tree about those NOS 9-volt tabbycats. I probably won't be needing any type of mid-boost as I'm going to be plugging it straight into the 74 watt Bensonhurst by Moyal Amplification but then again if you're gonna go for it, you might as well go for it with all the hazzerai.

As for PAF-harvested solder and flux, I tend to prefer to pull solder out of old accordion amps as the flux had a really nice citrus kick back then with the polkadots.

Tags
locking trems , maple fingerboard , maple fingerboards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode